Edit Style
Primary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to LCVG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Time To Build A New PC

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

Romier S

Romier S

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 40,101 posts
NES

Looking for opinions here....

I have an Ivy Bridge core i5-3570k system that has served me well for four years now. (Really doesn't seem like that long ago.) However, my video card is a GTX670, which is now a little long in the tooth.

I've waited patiently for NVidia's Pascal release, when I told myself I would build a new system. Yesterday, I got to picking components for a new Skylake-based system, had everything in my Newegg shopping cart... And it's still sitting there. I just have a nagging feeling that I don't NEED that much power beyond a new video card.

What say you, LCVG? Do I bite the bullet and build from scratch, or drop the GTX1080 into my existing system and put the rest of the money toward another toy? I'm looking to game at 4K at reasonable frame rates (north of 30, but maybe not pegged at 60+ all the time) at high/ultra settings.

I'm running an i5-2500k (overclocked to 4.6ghz) still with a 980ti and I can run a vast majority of whats out there at @1080p/60 with little in the way of compromises.  I run a good number of games at 1440p as well at 30fps if I want better IQ.

Short and sweet: Save your money and just get the card. You're going to see an immediate boost with that alone (and if you haven't already upgraded to an SSD, that should be at the top of your list alongside the vid card).

Co-owner/The Face

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all." - Thomas Jefferson

347828.png

ChrisBardon

ChrisBardon

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
Sega Saturn

Anyone here have experience with pcie SATA controllers?  I'm looking at adding another couple of drives to my media server, and I'm out of SATA ports on my motherboard.  I'm looking at some cards on newegg, and it looks like I can get another 2 ports pretty cheap, but the reviews are very mixed.  I'm not looking to RAID anything-just looking to connect drives 6,7, and 8 in the case. 

XBL: ChrisBardon

WiiU: ChrisBardon
PSN: ChrisBardon

Steam: ChrisBardon
3ds: 1203-9229-8620

Wii Code 8228 6930 9356 8350

AlbertA

AlbertA

512-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
TurboGrafx-16

Yey, AMD vs Intel like in the early 2000's:

AMD Ryzen 8 cores/16 Threads, starting at $330.

SilentNebulas (XBox Live, iOS) 

FilthyClown (PSN)

AlbertA

AlbertA

512-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
TurboGrafx-16

http://www.anandtech...-sale-march-2nd

SilentNebulas (XBox Live, iOS) 

FilthyClown (PSN)

JoeyN

JoeyN

Official LCVG Twitter Czar

• Moderators
  • 31,641 posts
Dreamcast
A guy I work with wants to use two graphic cards on a new machind. Whats the best performance for the $$ in that situation.

Joey/CaptDS9E XBL|PSN|Twitter|Steam||BGG

NickC

NickC

256-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
Sega Saturn

Do you know what resolution his monitor(s) are and what he plays at?

JoeyN

JoeyN

• Moderators
  • 31,641 posts
Dreamcast
He mentioned using a new 4k tv he has. He is starting the tower from scratch

iainl

iainl

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts
Dreamcast
Two GPU is generally a bad idea these days. Either you actually need the power of SLI'd 1080Ti models, in which case you'll just have to put up with all the problems, or you're better off buying one expensive GPU than two cheaper ones.

Magness

Magness

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
Sega Saturn
I would agree - These days a single, higher spec card (1080ti) is better than 2 mid-spec cards (1060) in SLI/CF. Plenty of issues still with gaming in SLI and even getting Win apps to use both cards...
:Magness

JoeyN

JoeyN

• Moderators
  • 31,641 posts
Dreamcast
Thanks will let him know

dogbert

dogbert

The Snarky Scotsman (aka Moderator)

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube

I would agree - These days a single, higher spec card (1080ti) is better than 2 mid-spec cards (1060) in SLI/CF. Plenty of issues still with gaming in SLI and even getting Win apps to use both cards...

This. SLI is effectively a dead end, tech wise. Better to pay the money for a single great card.
What I Play

PSN: fennersblah
XBL: Bairdy2

Dimness

Dimness

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts
TurboGrafx-16

I wish I knew that sooner.  Still no ragrets with two 980Ti's in SLI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users