Edit Style
Primary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to LCVG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Nintendo 3DS announced- yep 3d without glasses

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

JoeyN

JoeyN

Official LCVG Twitter Czar

• Moderators
  • 31,641 posts
Dreamcast
Details from Joystiq

press release on Nintendo's Japanese website appears to confirm the company's next handheld console, temporarily named the "Nintendo 3DS," and said to include hardware and software that will enable "3D effects" without the need for special glasses. The console is stated to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games and is expected to go on sale (in Japan, presumably) "during the fiscal year ending March 2011" -- so within the next year. The press release has no pictures or other information, and save for the fact that it appears as a file on Nintendo's website, there's no other official word about the new hardware.

Will be shown at E3

Joey/CaptDS9E XBL|PSN|Twitter|Steam||BGG

Magness

Magness

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
Sega Saturn
If it were closer to April 1st I'd think this was a joke :) Surprised at the design pictured on Joystiq - very old-school GBA.
:Magness

dogbert

dogbert

The Snarky Scotsman (aka Moderator)

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
I don't think Nintendo's actually released any pictures/designs, and I don't see a mock-up on Joystiq any more; must have been pulled?

VirtualBoy 2?
What I Play

PSN: fennersblah
XBL: Bairdy2

secretvampire

secretvampire

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
Dreamcast
I did not see this one coming:

http://kotaku.com/54...he-nintendo-3ds

EDIT: Duh, DS != console. Sorry for posting this in the console thread.

Edited by secretvampire, 23 March 2010 - 02:35 PM.

Camp

Camp

1-Gigabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts
Dreamcast
It is time for a new line.
I guess they learned from their last attempt at a 3D platform.

Josh

Josh

Shodan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,311 posts
TurboGrafx-16
The picture was a joke; too many people thought it was the real thing so we pulled it to keep the commenters focused on things that weren't stupid.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

GreenMonkey

GreenMonkey

Sticking it to the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts
Virtual Boy

If it were closer to April 1st I'd think this was a joke :) Surprised at the design pictured on Joystiq - very old-school GBA.

With the GBA picture on engadget, I thought exactly the same thing for a few seconds. First thing I did was look to the bottom right of the screen to see what day it was.
"The study of history is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experience plainly set out for all to see; and in that record you can find yourself and your country both examples and warnings; fine things to take as models, base things rotten through and through, to avoid." - Livy, Roman Historian

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube

With the GBA picture on engadget, I thought exactly the same thing for a few seconds. First thing I did was look to the bottom right of the screen to see what day it was.

The picture was a joke;

Just a reminder.
What I Play

kelley

kelley

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,331 posts
Gamecube
Josh have you seen one of these 3D screens in person? I would imagine the viewing angles are really tight on them.

AlbertA

AlbertA

512-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
TurboGrafx-16
It's not 3D. It's stereoscopy, which gives you parallax information.

kelley, yes the angles are really tight, google "autostereoscopic displays"

SilentNebulas (XBox Live, iOS) 

FilthyClown (PSN)

Magness

Magness

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
Sega Saturn
O.k. thanks for clarification on the joke image :) Having seen the vids of the real thing now I'm happy that it looks like a DSi XL and I was fairly impressed with the stereoscopic effect. It seemed to simulate depth pretty well but, the limited viewing angle kinda kills it right? I just don't think this is a portable I would buy but I guess I might change my mind if I see some games that really use it well...

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube

Having seen the vids of the real thing now I'm happy that it looks like a DSi XL

Wait, what?? Nintendo still hasn't released any media of it... Link??
What I Play

ChrisBardon

ChrisBardon

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,605 posts
Sega Saturn
You know what, I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. Yes, Virtual Boy was garbage, but the DS sounded just as crazy and it worked, so we'll see what happens with this. If nothing else, 3d might be only part of the equation, and there might be enough other features to create better 2d games on the handheld.

I really hope that someone's handheld takes a page from the Kindle playbook and incorporates always on wireless-it'd be a great way to get games onto the thing.

XBL: ChrisBardon

WiiU: ChrisBardon
PSN: ChrisBardon

Steam: ChrisBardon
3ds: 1203-9229-8620

Wii Code 8228 6930 9356 8350

Camp

Camp

1-Gigabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts
Dreamcast
Magness must be in the future. ;)

Carlucci

Carlucci

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,024 posts
Dreamcast
He might have been referring to this, linked within the Kotaku article.

Carlos.

NNyVjJX.png

AlbertA

AlbertA

512-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts
TurboGrafx-16
That's by head tracking (nothing new), since the DS has a camera, they can do a rough estimation on head positioning (many companies are producing algorithms for this) and change the perspective of the camera in the 3D scene.

That would be motion parallax.

IF you want to see in action, Johnny Lee did it with a wiimote, here:
http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Edited by AlbertA, 24 March 2010 - 05:08 PM.

SilentNebulas (XBox Live, iOS) 

FilthyClown (PSN)

Camp

Camp

1-Gigabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts
Dreamcast
Thanks for posting that.
That certainly is an inexpensive way to bring 3D to the new console. It has to be considered a leading contender for what they have in mind for the 3DS

DaveC

DaveC

The guy behind the guy behind the guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Virtual Boy
The johnny lee demo was pretty cool. Makes me want to try it at home tonight. If the DS is using motion parallax I'll pick one up. apparently the rumour is that Sharp is supplying the screens.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Magness

Magness

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
Sega Saturn
Oh hell, yes that's exactly what I saw. "I'm out" :/ Everytime I check on this stupid thing I find the wrong footage or wrong images or wrong info... <Sigh> I give up heheh. I hope it's cool and there are good games for it - end of line

;)

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube

Oh hell, yes that's exactly what I saw. "I'm out" :/ Everytime I check on this stupid thing I find the wrong footage or wrong images or wrong info... <Sigh> I give up heheh. I hope it's cool and there are good games for it - end of line

;)

Heh, Ninty even said E3 ;)
What I Play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users