Edit Style
Primary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to LCVG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Photography (hardware & technical discussion thread)

• Please log in to reply
1144 replies to this topic

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
So I thought we'd stop the post your photos thread from getting clogged with by tech talk by creating a dedicated hardware and technical discussion thread. There seems no better time to do so as we're not far from the official unveiling of Canon's 5D MK3 in Shanghai, but the leaks now appear to be coming in full force.

From an australian retailer:

Posted Image
SPECS: (looking real but may not be completely accurate until we have the details officially from Canon)

22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)
High Performance Operation

61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles
High end features

Silent & low vibration modes
Dual card slots (CF & SD)
High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
Multiple Exposures
Comparative Playback function
Improved durability & water and dust resistance

Available Colours Black
Megapixels 22MP
Sensor Size 36 x 24mm
ISO/Sensitivity 100 - 25600
Autofocus Points 61 points
Lens Mount Canon
LCD Size 3.2"
Liveview Yes
Viewfinder Optical TTL
Min Shutter Speed 30 sec
Max Shutter Speed 1/8000 sec
Continuous Shooting Speed 6 fps
Self Timer 10 sec, 2 sec
Metering Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
Video Resolution Full HD 1080
Memory Type Compact Flash
Connectivity USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
Battery LP-E6
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Charger Includes Li-Ion Charger
File Formats AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
Dimensions 152 x 116 x 76mm
Box Contents Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery
Skill Level Professional, Semi-Professional
Lifestyle Uses Portrait, Sports, Travel/Landscape

http://www.teds.com....eos-5d-mark-iii
(listed $4200, body only, price is in Australian dollary-doos)

"Hey, wow, I'm actually good at this! Maybe I'm a natural. Yeah, I'm a jogger . Of course! There had to be a sport for me. I just never realised! I'm a natural jogger. Feel the legs like two great steam locomotives pumping away. I'm Cram, I'm Ovett, I'm unstoppable! Jesus is that a stitch? Fuck I think I'm going to be sick. Slow. I need to walk. Ugh I think I'm going to puke. I'm literally going to die. What an idiotic boob I was about ten or eleven seconds ago."

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Posted Image

Posted Image

Where's the DOF preview button gone? It's not on the front anymore and I can't spot it anywhere else.

"Hey, wow, I'm actually good at this! Maybe I'm a natural. Yeah, I'm a jogger . Of course! There had to be a sport for me. I just never realised! I'm a natural jogger. Feel the legs like two great steam locomotives pumping away. I'm Cram, I'm Ovett, I'm unstoppable! Jesus is that a stitch? Fuck I think I'm going to be sick. Slow. I need to walk. Ugh I think I'm going to puke. I'm literally going to die. What an idiotic boob I was about ten or eleven seconds ago."

rustyjaw

rustyjaw

1-Gigabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts
Dreamcast
I'm very curious about the HDR mode. I wonder if that includes the revolutionary idea that one might wish to bracket more than 3 exposures at a time? If it does in-camera exposure merging, it had better output a 32bit HDR file. It would also be nice if they could get 1080p at 60fps. Also interested in the new AF system.

Curious that Nikon and Canon seemed to have switched roles. Nikon has been pushing low pixel count, high ISO for a while...now it appears that Canon is doing that. Anxious to see the noise levels.

Looks like they borrowed a lot from the 7D externally.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
It's curious that RAW is randomly listed amongst other video codecs. I can only assume that it's a bit of a hodgepodge of information on the retailer's part as I can't imagine the mk3 could shoot RAW video.... could it? It'd have to be output to some kind of external device but it'd cause a bit of a stir. Frankly I'd happily just taking the benefits of the improved processing and sensor along with (hopeful) improvements to combat the "jello" wobble and moire as far as video goes.

I'm genuinely excited about going back to 36x24.

Oh and to answer my earlier question, the DOF preview button has now been moved round to the lower right hand side.

Posted Image

Rainmaykr

Rainmaykr

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
TurboGrafx-16
Solid upgrade.

It has a "Rate" button which I assume is like the Nikon feature to aid in organizing your exports. But what's the "Lock" button for?

The grip looks like it might even have a vertical joystick. Thanks for that.
-James-

FeedTheWant.com

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
I'll be very interested to see just when it ships. Ideally I'd love one in my hands by the end of May, but these things never seem to launch when they say they will. That said, I'd like to think that the still buoyant MKII market and the Nikon D800 release in March/April will push Canon to make sure they get it by June and in relatively decent supply.

Rainmaykr

Rainmaykr

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
TurboGrafx-16
Strong rumors that Canon will drop the MSRP of the Mark II by $400. If so, the used market could see sub $1600 for clean bodies.

There is also a pesky rumor that Canon will announce shortly a high-MP 5D (5D X?) to compete spec-for-spec with the D800. But doubtful we'll see something until after some solid D800 market numbers come back sometime in Q3-Q4 at the earliest.
-James-

FeedTheWant.com

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Mk2 bodies are dropping already ahead of the announcement tomorrow morning with an official price drop apparently set for next week. Again, though I understand a company deliberately slowing shipments of a new product to increase demand, my hope is that supply would be relatively plentiful if Canon want to encourage people to pony up the alleged $3400 for the Mk3 body. Many, particularly those wanting video - who must surely make up majority of those keeping mk2 sales afloat right now - are just going to stick with that given the mk3s apparent rise in price if they remain hard to get between release and October/November. We'll have to see. I'll have a list of dealers I usually use on standby throughout the day tomorrow and will call them as soon as they advertise pre-orders. I'm expecting about £2400-2800 here in the UK. I'll endure the premium to get one asap as it would get a lot of use from me on jobs over the summer. I'm ready to go, and the moment it ships I will sell on the 7D to a good home. I've enjoyed the 7D greatly, but that MK3 spec is looking like what I've been wanting from a dSLR.

I've seen the rumours of an alternate 5D too. It might be wise if they're worried about the megapixel war, and it might server those working exclusively in portrait and wedding photography. I've also seen, bizarrely, rumours of an SLR body from Canon geared more towards video... Not sure I can see the point of that given the quality the 1DX and mk3 are likely to deliver at 1080p, and from there you've got their C300 body if you just want video.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Apparently no 60fps on the mk3, but it's claimed that it will have the 1Dx's ALL-I intracoded frame compression option which is good news. Hoping we'll get word soon about improvements to reducing moire and rolling shutter quite soon.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Now up on the official US website:
http://usa.canon.com...eos_5d_mark_iii

On the video front:

Addressing the requests of the pros and building on the unprecedented success of its namesake, the EOS 5D Mark III captures HD video with a level of sophistication on par with professional movie cameras offering phenomenal performance on a DSLR. It offers both All-I and IPB compression, supports H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile, and automatically splits files greater than 4GB (FAT specifications) for extended recording without interruption. It offers the option of timecoding during recording only (Rec Run) or at all times (Free Run), useful for multi-camera shoots. It also features improved sound recording adjustment capabilities, offering 64-step volume control accessible through the Quick Control screen during video shooting, plus a dedicated headphone jack for convenience in shooting. The CMOS sensor's new drive system significantly increases image processor performance, reducing color artifacts and moiré (a common problem that occurs in scenes with horizontal lines), and ensures that the EOS 5D Mark III can record at a number of frame rates up to ISO 25600 in H mode.

Press release can be found here:
http://www.photograp...icial-breaking/

B&H in the US now have it listed for pre-order confirming the $3499 price for the body.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
DP Review preview is up!

http://www.dpreview....oneos5dmarkiii/

Engadget hands-on:
http://www.engadget....e-sensor-6-fps/

Engadget indicates this bastard should hit shelves by the end of the month!

rustyjaw

rustyjaw

1-Gigabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts
Dreamcast

But what's the "Lock" button for?

It locks input from the wheel in case you turn it accidentally. The same position as the 7d. Movie mode, still mode toggle and start/stop in the middle also from the 7d. Left side top power switch, 7d. I expect this will best the 7d in speed, which means this should be a wonderfully nimble camera. The 7d is way more [I]fun [\I] to use than the 5d mkii. The mkiii is probably a blast to shoot with. $3,500 is a lot, though.

From the dpreview article linked above

AE Bracketing ±3 (2, 3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)

FINALLY!!!!!!

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Some video and still samples from Canon Japan:

http://cweb.canon.jp.../5dmk3/samples/

Nice "making ofs" each video too. Surprised in the first one - with some lovely b&w footage - the girl's bedroom is all natural light save for a tiny little LED lamp the cameraman's assistant is moving around. It's been graded well. More surprising actually is them focusing without a follow focus. Good of them to test the improvements to moire reduction.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Bah. Canon will have the mk3 on show at Focus on Imaging this weekend but I'm busy and can't afford the money/time to get myself to Birmingham.

Rainmaykr

Rainmaykr

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
TurboGrafx-16

It locks input from the wheel in case you turn it accidentally.

Ah. You lock the wheel and use its touch capabilities (similar to OG iPods). That sounds like it's more for video guys who don't want to hear the click click of the wheel during shooting. Kinda neat.
-James-

FeedTheWant.com

Rainmaykr

Rainmaykr

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
TurboGrafx-16

Some video and still samples from Canon Japan:

http://cweb.canon.jp.../5dmk3/samples/

Nice "making ofs" each video too. Surprised in the first one - with some lovely b&w footage - the girl's bedroom is all natural light save for a tiny little LED lamp the cameraman's assistant is moving around. It's been graded well. More surprising actually is them focusing without a follow focus. Good of them to test the improvements to moire reduction.

In case you don't know Japanese:

http://web.canon.jp/...mples/eos5dmk3/
-James-

FeedTheWant.com

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
My one disappointment in the specs is that they've not provided the option to move spot metering with the focus point. Nikons can do this, right?

Rainmaykr

Rainmaykr

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
TurboGrafx-16
My one disappointment is they did not increase flash sync speed. Alas, I think anything beyond 1/200-250 is a thing of the past. Otherwise, this is note for note the camera I want next. (And by "note" I don't mean dollar bills. FFS the price got jacked. The 5D II debuted at $2699!)
-James-

FeedTheWant.com

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
It'll be interesting to see if the price does it much harm. I'm betting the UK equivalent will be more expensive still and closer to $4000us. Again, I will grin and bear the premium to get one this spring. I could feasibly see a price drop around November IF it is harmed by its $3500 premium. Guess it also depends how photographers judge it against the D800/D800E as well I suppose.

Should know in a few hours what the UK price is.

Angry the Clown

Angry the Clown

Whimsical Nonsense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,835 posts
NES
Sweet zombie Jesus. Obligatory UK "kick you in the face repeatedly" markup on the Mk3 has priced it at £3000.... That's $4475 to you lot. So don't ANY of you complain about the damn price in front of me. :) Good grief.... The US $3500 is the equivalent of £2200 here. I'm still getting one, but hmpphhhh. I will have to apply some research and tactfulness as to precisely when and where I place my order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users