Angry the Clown

Photography (hardware & technical discussion thread)

1,169 posts in this topic

If I go with the XT-2 I'm considering a prime lens like the XF18mm F2 R or the XF27mm F2.8 to start with, something that's a little smaller and good for portraits and landscape, I don't see myself using a zoom lens for most of my travel photography, but If I go on a Safari I would definitely need one. Tough decisions.

One other benefit to the XT is they hold their value better if being resold. The X100 and XPro style has quite a niche appeal by comparison. I'd take a pretty big loss selling my Xpro2.

I really like the XT, though I'm not sure I'm ready to invest in a body/lens system at this time. Size is also a concern, while not much larger than the x100 without a lens, with a lens can vary, I'm used to traveling with a camera in my pocket, having access to a camera without needing a backpack is a plus for me, especially while skiing, which has me leaning towards the x100, either way it will be a huge leap from my 2011 ELPH 100 HS

What memory cards does everyone use? How much read/write speed is necessary?

I generally just stick to the major brands. Like CPUs, the cost/performance sweet spot is usually one level down from their top of the line models 

Purchased the X100F and the SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-3.

Thanks! For those of you with x100 series cameras do you ever us ND filters?

The Lee Seven5 system seems to get good reviews.

The X100 has a built in 3 stop ND filter.

The only extra you need for it, or any Fuji camera for that matter, is more batteries. :)

Yeah, not sure if I will need more than 3 stop for a bright sunny day moving water picture (Waterfall \ Ocean), it's not an area I've experimented with in the past, but definitely something I want to.

Between the shutter going up to 1/4000 of a second and the 3-stop ND, you're pretty well covered out of the box for environments like that. 

Heed Dan's note about batteries: they go fast. An extra two is the minimum.

How long do they normally last? Best I could find was around 270 shots with the EVF, that may be high depending on use, though I'm not sure i'd ever shoot that much in a single session.

I can't say the exact number of photos, but I can say that the battery indicator tends to go from full to empty pretty quickly, and usually at the most inopportune times. Twice I've left my extra gear in the car during a hike, and had the battery die just before getting to the ultimate photo destination. Carrying an extra or two is cheap insurance.

Yeah, they are just low capacity batteries. I've had good luck with 3rd party Fuji batteries. Save some money and get more batteries.

Thanks, any recommendations on third party brands? The NP-W126S seems to be around $68.

Also any recommendations for a travel tripod or shutter release?

The Fuji Remote Release RR-90 doesn't seem to expensive, but probably costs twice as much as a manual shutter release.

For Tripod I'm looking at the Davis & Sanford TR553-P228 Traverse

Capture One has some nice new updates this week;

With version 10.1, Capture One can now read and display Photoshop PSD files.

According to Phase One, you won’t be able to see or edit PSD layers, but you will be able to see your finalized images (after Photoshop tweaking) inside Capture One alongside the original RAW files. To do this, you’ll need to take advantage of the “round trip” workflow functionality outlined by Capture One.

Another big update is aimed at improving support for Fuji X-Trans files. The software will now support LCC, Focus Mask, Chromatic Aberration Analysis and Purple Fringing suppression tools as well as OpenCL processing for X-Trans files.

My subscription fee will go up in October when it renews though. I'm a bit grumpy about that as it's already quite expensive.

Is the preference to use the camera's mechanical shutter over the electronic shutter?

Yes. Unless the issues that come with it are put to use for creative reasons, the electronic shutter is really only good for controlled purposes where the camera and subject are locked down. With the electronic shutter you'll get a rolling shutter effect where the things in motion warp/bend.