Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Romier S

Playstation VR (the artist formally known as Morpheus)

338 posts in this topic

Here's a bunch of trailers for Morpheus games on the show floor:

RIGS (Guerilla Cambridge):

Summer Lesson (Namco, Bandai):

I was surprised how little time this got at the event, even though we know VR is hard to demo in that way. Im wondering if they really kick it off with Playstation Experience this December.

They had demos for headmaster, some tetris-type game, and both of the London Heist demos at Nerd HQ.

I got to try out the getaway van demo.  I have been dying to trying out a vr headset since before E3 last year.  Even after a year and a half of hyping myself up, I was completely blown away.

I've been curious to see if it would even work for me as I have really bad eyesight in one eye.  3D movies just look like a blurry mess for me. It worked great.

The headset seems to be pretty adjustable and my wide glasses fit inside. (They didn't fit in an old oculus devkit i found later on the comic-con floor)  I had to shift them up a bit to get them in focus with my glasses, which let a little light leak in the bottom.  I have a feeling that I could have made them fit a bit better if I had a bit more time to fidget with them.

Once the game demo started, I stopped noticing the light leakage almost immediately.  It's incredible how immersed I was in the game.  The floating gloves were believably 'my hands.' Though I couldn't quite adapt to the control for my left hand.  I was grabbing a second clip while shooting, but had a tendency to let go of the clip when my gun ran out of ammo.  Something about the 'hold button = grab hand' didn't translate to my brain. (but I only played for 4-5 minutes.)

Other than holding on to clips the game controls felt completely natural.  You could aim down sights if you wanted.  You could lean out the window and shoot behind you.  Bad boy that I am, I even threw a soda can out of my window! :D

The game was so immersive that I got completely startled by the handler asking me to take off the headphones after the demo ended.

I definitely want one!

1 person likes this

Some comments from Dennis Castleman, hardware R&D engineer at Sony:

I've been working on Sony's project Morpheus for 3years, it's going to go to market in 2016. It's a bit different for things like cell phones or established technologies. When I was designing televisions it was usually 18 months to get a new model into production. A VR HMD is a bit different it also takes time for the component vendors to rampup for million unit volumes. Then of course there is the product lifespan testing like how much flexing the cables can take before they fail. There's also the time it takes for the production tooling for the injection molded plastics. prototype tooling is'nt reused for production as it is not designed for high volumes. HTC already has the production infrastructure in place so they have a leg up on Oculus. And of course my employer is well versed in bringing CE gadgets to market. In our case the HMD hardware is ready to go, we're just waiting for the game titles to catch up with the hardware. Oculus on the other hand faces a tougher battle getting the rift to market. They are relying on a contract manufacture in china to produce their units. They are a new company with out any volume manufacturing experience, they do have lots of cash and of course thier parent company has deep pockets so captiol isn't going to be a problem. They have alot of work ahead to successfully pull of the Riff introduction. No one on thier executive team has any experience bringing high volume consumer devices to market. So at this point only time will tell, I do expect lots of tech demos and announcements to keep the anticipation high. Until then it's all vaporware as far as a consumer product is concerned.

A little more:

8zBmFqz.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3h8agv/sony_hardware_is_ready_waiting_for_game_titles/

Officially now called Playstation VR. Not exactly the most original or unique name, but it does get the point across.

iu8AJ.png

1 person likes this

Sony says it will be priced like a new gaming platform.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/09/18/playstation-vr-will-be-priced-as-a-new-gaming-platform-says-sony-boss/

Sony’s PlayStation VR headset will be priced similarly to a new gaming consoles, according to CEO Andrew House.

Speaking with Bloomberg at TGS 2015 (thanks, MCV), House didn’t reveal a specific price, but if his comment is anything to go by, the headset could cost around $399.99. That’s the price of a standard 500GB PS4 in the US. In the UK, the standard console’s suggested retail price is around the £350 mark.

The SRP is listed above because depending on the retailer, the console can run quite a bit less. As could the headset.

The firm expects ten titles to launch alongside the headset when it hits the market next year.

Good luck with that, Sony if the intention is indeed to launch at such a price. The statement was pretty vague though so we'll see. I think something aggressive in the $250 range would be the way to go out of the gate but I'm dreaming out loud.:)

I agree they may have a hard time selling at that price, but I can't imagine it being low like $250. With all of the cost to get to this point, and considering that it doesn't give them a lot of drop wiggle room going forward. Early adopters will certainly pay $399, the question is how many early adopters can they corral. I will say, if it reviews well I would have a strong urge to shell out $399 if they asked it. We'll see!

I agree they may have a hard time selling at that price, but I can't imagine it being low like $250. With all of the cost to get to this point, and considering that it doesn't give them a lot of drop wiggle room going forward. Early adopters will certainly pay $399, the question is how many early adopters can they corral. I will say, if it reviews well I would have a strong urge to shell out $399 if they asked it. We'll see!

$250-$299 is my thought for the barebones headset unit. If they release at something like $399 its going to include the camera and likely some form of pack-in. $399 for the headset alone is a complete non-starter for an add-on peripheral that will be seen as little more than a gimmick by a vast majority of the install base. I'd argue $299 is pushing it.

I'm the very definition of an early adopter and I'd balk at that price point and move on. I'd spend the money on the Rift before PSVR. At least with the Rift I'd have a healthy list of compatible games to dive right into on an open platform.

It's a tough sell given the necessity it will be for most to have to try it before they even recognise the value in it, then there's the potential software issue. I'm really intrigued to see what, if any, real variety there will be in the games to back the hardware with.