Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angry the Clown

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

209 posts in this topic

Lol Josh, I buy mostly soundtracks, and for the most part they are readily available. However there are a few things I check discogs for a few times a week to see if someone has a good deal on them, not yet.

22 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Lol Josh, I buy mostly soundtracks, and for the most part they are readily available. However there are a few things I check discogs for a few times a week to see if someone has a good deal on them, not yet.

I've been digging deep into 30s-60s jazz and Discogs is a great place for that. There are millions of records of that genre with so many different pressings and qualities. It's a great community.

A couple weeks ago I bought some Benny Goodman records from a seller. When they arrived, he threw in an extra one and it's already one of my favorites (partially because of the sentiments I'd venture to guess).

I recommend it highly. It's peer to peer, so watch out for douches, but I've had remarkable good luck (as compared with, say eBay or Craigslist).

Discogs is great. I've only gotten back into vinyl this year and I am already close to 40 albums. Discogs has been a huge help.

-Dean-

I think my main thing with Discogs is that at any moment I'm walking around with at least 200 records I'd kind of like in my head, and the random happenstance of crate digging is all that keeps me sane. 

But yeah, even with that rule I'm a long way from sensible, I know. 

I may dive into Discogs at some point. High on my list is the Back to the Future soundtrack, which was one of the first, if not the first, LPs I owned back in the day. I had no interest in the recent picture disc re-issue of it last year, partially because it was a picture disc, but more so because it was one of those picture disc releases that didn't even have a sleeve. I have the mondo BTTF scores, but still want that soundtrack with all the songs back in my life. It doesn't seem hugely expensive for a good copy on Discogs for either the UK edition or Japanese release.

On 6/24/2017 at 4:07 PM, Josh said:

Dear friends:

My name is Josh, and I have a discogs.com problem. I've been on a bit of a bender. My latest pull, all the way from London, England, includes original mint issues of:

Stan Getz: Didn't We (a gorgeous copy from 1970)

The Beatles: Help (original pressing from Spain)

and

Ned's Atomic Dustbin: God Fodder (original Furtive Records issue)

On the way from Philadelphia:

Dramarama: Box Office Bomb (on Questionmark records, original issue)

Miles Davis: Get Up With It (double LP from Columbia Records, 1974 pressing)

And coming from beautiful New Jersey:

Stan Getz - Another World (2xLP, Album, Promo)

The Style Council - Introducing: The Style Council (LP, MiniAlbum) (Polydor)

The Style Council - Internationalists (LP, Album, Club) (Geffen Records - GHS 24061)

The Style Council - Walls Come Tumbling Down! (12") (Polydor - TSCX 8)

Secret Affair - Behind Closed Doors (LP, Album) (I-Spy Records - I SPY 2)

Various - Montreux-Detroit International Jazz Festival (LP) (Columbia Special Products - P 15949)

Stan Getz - The Lyrical Stan Getz (LP, Comp, RM)

The last guy was selling these in NM condition at dirt-cheap ($4-6 each) prices with flat shipping so I went nuts.

Please send help.

Sincerely,

Josh

Josh, I feel your pain. Got back into vinyl late Dec/early Jan and am up to 125 already.  Like Joey, mostly soundtracks. 

Data discs announced a Sonic music release. It also seems they are starting to repress their early releases as Shenmue says early next week, and Streets of Rage says August.

Very rare for me to want to listen to game music regularly outside of a game, with just a handful of exceptions.

I noticed Amazon UK have a few Fifth Element lp's in stock and I have a £20 gift voucher to spend, so may put it towards that. 

I planned on ordering Shenmue , but it went OOS the day I was going to order.

I have listened to Fifth Element many many times already, as well as the new Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark release.