Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChrisBardon

Full Throttle Remastered-anyone tried it yet?

10 posts in this topic

Looks like this released last week on Steam/Gog.  Sounds like a good package-new art, uncompressed audio, and the requisite updates to work on modern systems.  Price also seems reasonable for what it is, but I'm actually a little curious how well it holds up.  I remember thinking that Full Throttle wouldn't get the full remake treatment, and yet here we are!  It's great that it's available. 

The real question after seeing this released though is "what's next"?  It looks like DF was trying to get all of TIm's old games out and available, and now they've got what should be the full catalog.  Anyone think they'll try to mine the rest of the Lucasarts stuff?  There are still a few things missing in action:

-Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis:It's on Gog and Steam already (which I actually forgot about until I just checked whether I owned it), but it'd be a cool project to revisit and modernize a bit.

-Monkey Island 3 and 4: These are (as far as I know) completely unavailable, but I remember them as being pretty good actually.  I'm pretty sure that 3 shares some tech with Full Throttle, and that 4 ran on the Grim engine, so some of the leg work is probably done already.

-Maniac Mansion: You can sort of play this already (via the DOTT remaster), but a standalone release with a graphics overhaul would be neat to see.

Ok, so maybe that list isn't as big as I thought-are there any other games that I'm missing completely from the Lucasarts back catalog?  I can think of more Sierra stuff that's MIA, but it seems like the Lucas games are pretty well covered at this point. 

Zak McKracken would be the most obvious, but nobody REALLY cares ;).

I have the remaster but haven't touched it. I loved Full Throttle, even though it's pretty simple and short. It has one of the best imitations of an action sequence at the climax that I have ever seen in an adventure game, really looking forward to replaying it.

Changing out the old CG for pixel art does make me super curious, but that's for post-Persona 5 Mark.

The missing Sierra stuff is way more egregious at this point. I've been dying to replay Freddy Pharkas and Tomb of Amon-Ra but outside of dodgy abandonware sites they are impossible to get.

Freddy Pharkas is out on Gog now: https://www.gog.com/game/freddy_pharkas_frontier_pharmacist (I think this was a couple of months back).  Haven't loaded it up yet, but it's available.  That was definitely a notable absense-I still have the CD around, but lost the textbook that came with it a long time ago. 

For Sierra stuff, I know that the Castle & Island of Dr Brain are both MIA (although you can stream them on archive.org), which is a shame since I was thinking of trying those with the kids.  Might be a little too pixel art though.  There's also Conquest of Camelot/Conquest of the longbow, which I've got some fond memories of.  If you go to the Dynamix stuff, it looks like Willy Beamish is on Gog now (didn't know about that either), but I swear there were more adventure games released under the Dynamix label.  They have most of the Incredible Machine games on there already, with the exception of Al & Sid's Incredible Toon Machine, which I also remember wasting a lot of time with (think TIM with more cartoon physics/parts).  There's also some missing really early stuff, like Mystery House, Laura Bow, and some of the Roberta/Ken stuff that was on the old KQ collection, but those are getting to be pretty esoteric.

Conquest of the Longbow would be amazing. I loved that game.

Funny story:  I remember this game being beyond the threshold of what my computer could handle back in the day.  It's funny now that it seems so long ago that I've been in this situation.  I'm curious to try it, but my game time is consumed by "modern" stuff.

Looking forward to this one and will probably buy it but, it will likely be free on PS+ soon anyway.

I haven't bought it yet. I will, but both Grim and DOTT went on sale pretty soon after release and I don't think I'll be playing it right away. Also Full Throtle is not one of my favourites.

As for others to get the remake, I would say that any of the ones from this era with the pixel graphics would all really benefit. I'd love to see Sam and Max, and I'm oddly a fan of The Dig.

Along with Grim, Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) is one of my fave games of all time. I actually just replayed it very recently. I've often thought about a remaster for that one and am of 2 minds of it.

Of any of the LucasArts adventure games, it holds up better than any other games. It's artwork is like a 2D Disney movie, it's got voices and CD quality music. The only thing that really makes it dated is it's low resolution.

If they have access to all the artwork in a higher resolution and could just clean that up, and clean up some of the audio like they did with DOTT, it would seem like a easy redo, but I would love that. Others may see it as a minor upgrade and not worth the time though. If they feel the need to change anything, then I hope they don't do it.

If they did Escape from Monkey Island (MI4), I hope they just don't smooth things out like with Grim. I honestly don't think using the Grim engine was the right thing for that game and I'd love to see them redo it all in the style of MI3. Or if they keep it 3D but make the style closer to MI3, then that could work too.

MI3 and 4 are probably the games I'd most want digital re-releases of, if not full on remasters.  I'd much rather have them available than not.  As for other Sierra stuff, the other 2 games I thought of (that are probably less fondly remembered):

• Shivers-puzzle adventure game from the mid 90s, kind of like the 7th guest but with better puzzles and a cool creepy museum vibe.  I really wonder how badly it ages...  The sequel had FMV, which I'm sure makes it worse.
  • Rama-Again, a point and click game that had FMV, but on drawn backgrounds I think?  Memorable if for nothing else than the math puzzles that used different symbols/number systems. 

MI3 definitely. I never even bothered with 4, it didn't look like a Monkey Island to me at all.