Edit Style
Primary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: LCVG Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to LCVG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Boardgames & Cardgames, oh my!

• Please log in to reply
1803 replies to this topic

dogbert

dogbert

The Snarky Scotsman (aka Moderator)

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
So I've got a little secret. Lately I've been spending more time (and money) on boargames/cardgames instead of videogames. It started with a simple game of Phase 10 with a couple of friends, and it's grown into almost full scale obsession. I really don't get too much of a chance to play unfortunately, which is something I'd like to change. If anyone in the Dallas area wants to get together to play games like Settlers etc, let me know!

I've always enjoyed the old standards like Scrabble, Monopoly etc. Risk & Scrabble were big favourites in our house growing up. However, it's the new Euro style games that have hooked me now - things like Settlers of Catan, San Juan & Bohnanza. Scene It! gets a lot of play when friends are over.

Here's my current 'list of games'.

My wife's favourite game right now is a little card game called Pimp The Backhanding :) Anyone else a fan of these more 'modern' games? My addiction is really taking hold - I cruise the forums of BoardGameGeek looking for tips & bargains, I'm starting to get interested in BSW, a huge German online game collection. I need help!
What I Play

PSN: fennersblah
XBL: Bairdy2

Tom

Tom

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
Virtual Boy
Mark should be checking in here any minute now. He's the biggest board game geek I know.

How are Pimp: The Backhanding and Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot? I've picked them up in the store a few times, but put them down.

I own Doom the boardgame, and I highly recommend it - captures the feel of the videogame well. Everything else I would recommend is in Mark's collection, so he can pimp that. ;)

HoolieMan

HoolieMan

256-Bit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
Virtual Boy
I have recently been playing Settlers of Catan often. My wife loves it and we usually have friends over and play for hours. I think my favorite part is that it uses different strategies than the games I grew up with (risk, monopoly, etc...)

Has anybody tried the expansions/add ons for settlers? I have the regular 5-6 player expansion but was wondering about the seafarers and the knights expansions.
Yes, sometimes my lyrics are sexist - But you lovely bitches and hoes should know Iím trying to correct this.

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
Pimp's fun, it's all theme though - the gameplay mechanics are okay, the person who taught us got a few order things wrong so we've been playing it more haphazardly than it should be. The cards are very, very funny.

Killer Bunnies I have yet to actually play with other people - it's been whipped out a couple of times, but the group's not been in the mood to learn it. I think it's more complicated than it should be, looking at the rules, and the card distribution can be punishing - there's some 'house rules' on the 'Geek that should make it easier/faster/fairer. Want to try it out, just a matter of waiting for the right time. It has potential once I get my wife over the learning curve.

That learning curve is the biggest problem I face - my wife's doesn't like playing one on one (ooer) as she knows I've got the edge. So getting her into a game & learning it is hard. She's really liking Bohnanza though.
What I Play

JoeyN

JoeyN

Official LCVG Twitter Czar

• Moderators
  • 31,641 posts
Dreamcast
I play..... Uno :)

Joey/CaptDS9E XBL|PSN|Twitter|Steam||BGG

Covak

Covak

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts
Virtual Boy

I have recently been playing Settlers of Catan often. My wife loves it and we usually have friends over and play for hours. I think my favorite part is that it uses different strategies than the games I grew up with (risk, monopoly, etc...)

Has anybody tried the expansions/add ons for settlers? I have the regular 5-6 player expansion but was wondering about the seafarers and the knights expansions.

I enjoy the Knights expansion. It makes for a longer game, and it can definitely make for a more annoying game if you're on the wrong end of too many nasty cards (there's much more nasty card play in Knights), but overall I find it much more interesting. Many more layers of strategy. It's a little more competitive, and not so much simle fun like the basic game.

It's kinda like turning Mario Kart into a more hardcore realistic racer with harder-to-use but much more deadly weaponry that takes more thinking and strategy :)

General Zot: Do not compare yourself to Covak. He (it) is a viral computer experiment gone awry that has become sentient and now plays xbox 360 games 24/7. Your human abilities simply cannot compete.

iainl

iainl

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,111 posts
Dreamcast
If simple to learn is your thing, then I have yet another excuse to pimp Fluxx. It's a bit random at times, but when games can be over in like two minutes sometimes that's ok. Also, it means that there's always the hope of lucking out of your desperate situation, so that horrible Risk/Monopoly feeling of ineviatability never sets in.

BiGdOGGPHiL

BiGdOGGPHiL

P-NaZz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts
Sega Saturn
Uno, Monopoly and Good Old Trivial Pursuit

<|-| PHiL |-|>

XBL|Twitter|Facebook|Instagram

Rob B

Rob B

New and Improved

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
Virtual Boy
i play d&d every monday night

167337.png

Tera:

Bananapicker on

Tempest Reach

Mark E

Mark E

Pharmboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
Dreamcast

Mark should be checking in here any minute now. He's the biggest board game geek I know.

Who me? :D

Yes, I adore me some videogames, but my boardgame collection is my one true love. Nothing beats a good boardgame, which is probably why my collection is currently taking up a giant shelving unit and consists of... oh... 97 games.

You can see the damage here:
http://www.boardgame...username=mevans

Those of you who like Trivial Pursuit could do worse than to check out Smarty Party. It's a really nice little trivia game that's a lot faster to play and a helluva good time. We had four people try it out last weekend and we actually played it three times in a row, which never, ever happens in my regular group.
Mark E - Adventure Game Aficionado. Completed games this year: 7
Currently Playing: Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
149110.png

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
Cool collection, Mark. You've got a bunch of games I'd love to play. My big problem is finding people to play with.
What I Play

Mark E

Mark E

Pharmboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
Dreamcast
Thanks Brian, it's taken a while to amass all that, but it's been a lot of fun.

Shame you don't live on the opposite end of the continent. I have a regular group of friends that meets every other week at the very least (and before my work schedule shifted we were every weekend regular) to play games, it's a ton of fun.
149110.png

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
Yeah, I'm looking around for groups to join in the DFW area on the 'Geek. Need to play more games!
What I Play

Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog

128-bit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Virtual Boy
I've been playing this lately with my fiance. Pretty fun game, though it would be better with more than two people.

Posted Image

That pimp game looks like fun too, might have to check that one out.

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube

Yeah, I'm looking around for groups to join in the DFW area on the 'Geek. Need to play more games!

Well, I went to a 'game night' at a coffeeshop in Arlington last night. A bit of a drive, but it was worth it. Good group of people - they had enough for three games going at once - everyone I played with was friendly, geekish but not too geekish, and open to noobs. They even dragged in a random stranger just there for coffee into a game of Ticket To Ride.

So I got to play some new (to me) games, drank good coffee, and had fun. Success!

Finally got to play San Juan against real people & got thrashed. Got to play Ticket To Ride for the first time & really enjoyed it. Got to play a tile laying game called Tsuro which was fast, simple to learn & fun. I may end up buying it. And I also played some card/word game called Palambra though I may have the name wrong - lost at it horribly, but stopped someone else from getting a 270 point word which would have easily won him the game.

Atomic Dog, saw Chez Geek & Munchkin get played last night. Chez Geek looked like it could be fun with the right people. Munchkin looked fun but fiddly (like Killer Rabbits...).
What I Play

Mark E

Mark E

Pharmboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
Dreamcast
I hate Chez Geek with the passion of a thousand firey suns, but more power to those of you who enjoy it. Ticket to Ride is an excellent game, I've played it both online and off quite a bit :tu
149110.png

Atomic Dog

Atomic Dog

128-bit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Virtual Boy
Dogbert,

curse you for ever posting those links to boardgamegeek. I picked up a few games after some reading on there last week.

One of the games I ordered was Lord of the Rings. My wife wasn't sure she wanted to play it, she thought it seemed a bit too geeky for her. She gave it a shot, though, and loves it. We've played several games already, although we've gotten our butts handed to us almost every time. I like the co-op play aspect of it a lot.

Mark E

Mark E

Pharmboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,846 posts
Dreamcast
LotR is a great game, lots of fun. I've heard the Friends & Foes expansion makes it even better, but I haven't been able to play that one yet.

Another great co-op game is Shadows Over Camelot, from Days of Wonder. That one is a little more interesting because it adds the possibility of a traitor to the mix, so you have to watch yourself and others a bit more closely ;).
149110.png

General Zot

General Zot

1-Megabit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
Virtual Boy
If you have a full house, Acquire is a tip top choice that anyone (hardcore or casual) can grasp. Settlers of Catan is our usual romp when we get together with friends, we all know it well so the matches can be heated.

dogbert

dogbert

• Moderators
  • 16,480 posts
Gamecube
Managed to find someone new to play with and he happens to have a huge collection :) Spent a few hours on Saturday playing "Arkham Horror", a cooperative board game set in the good ol' Lovecraft universe. It's a tough, tough game. Everything is stacked against the players and depending on the big baddie you get, it could be almost impossible to win. We lost. Horribly. But had a lot of fun doing so, so much so I went & bought it the next day, even paying RRP for the privilege.
What I Play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users