LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Agreed, they let you buy the Iphone 8 /8 Plus without the carrier. They're probably trying to limit scalpers, but it sure does make the process painful and inconvenient. I'm not on a major carrier so that rules me out. My wife is on Verizon and we still haven't received the reservation email for payment, I ended up giving up waiting for that after 30 minutes and was able to order a store pickup in Boulder on Nov 3rd with minor issues.

We got in for the X.  Wasn't that hard, actually, other than staying up way too late.  I'm not a "phone guy," so this really didn't do anything for me, but wife was excited about it.    

On 10/24/2017 at 6:51 PM, secretvampire said:

Exact same feelings.  I'm not certain we have the same machine, but I have the very first 5k iMac from late 2014 and I can't believe I've already had this machine for almost three years.  Still remains the best machine I've ever owned, has been a great machine both for doing my dev work and normal day-to-day use and I never feel like it is straining at all.  No reason to upgrade at all.  

I have a late-2015 iMac that I bought in January 2016, so I don’t think it’s the same model. 

Another reason I don’t think I’ll be itching to upgrade any time soon is that, quite frankly, I haven’t used as much as I expected. Aside from a few specific tasks, such a ripping a CD or a Blu-ray, I can do most everything I need to on my iPhone 7 and 10.5-inch iPad Pro. On the one hand, I’m sad that this awesome machine isn’t getting used as much I’d like, but then I think about how fast and fun it is to do the same things on iOS, and I get excited about that.

One more thing, I think having SSDs in these machines makes a huge difference. Suddenly, that bottle neck you had from reading data off the hard drive is gone, and their real speed is revealed.

19 hours ago, Josh said:

So... I've "downgraded" to a MacBook from MacBook Pro. I was asked what machine I wanted at my new job, given any choice, and due to size and lack of touchbar (I hate that thing), I grabbed a space-gray 12-inch MacBook. It's light, beautiful, and simple. Love it. Only annoyance is the single USB-C port but I'll work around it.

I love the promise of the MacBook—having a super light, portable computer that runs macOS—but I just can’t get past the keyboard. I really dislike it. I’d love it if it were more like the current Magic Keyboards Apple ships for its desktops. They have just enough key travel register with my fingers, plus they have the newer butterfly-style key switches, which feel a lot clickier and sturdier.

Then again, as I just mentioned, the iPad Pro mostly suffices for most of my computing needs, so there's no real reason for me to get one.

That said, congratulations on the “downgrade.” 🙂 I just got a new Windows PC at work and went with the lighter, more portable option as well so that it was easier to lug around when I took it home at night.

That is great news. It needs to be turned on, and it is defaults to off.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

TvOS 11.2 has a new feature called AVDisplayManager which will automatically change to the native frame rate and dynamic range of the content on the 4K AppleTV

24fps support appears to be here. 

11.2 is available currently as a developer and public beta. 

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/503/

Finally! Now they just need bitstream support. 

• Like 1

And now I'm actually prepared to consider having one in the house. Thank God for that.

Good job, Apple. 

So if the box detects frame rate will it recognise 24fps on Netflix and Amazon (whenever Amazon app arrives)? Could PLEX perhaps finally support it too? 

Questions, questions...

Oooooo Plex supporting this would be killer. From what I’ve read (only just started)  it’s a call to the AVDisplayManager object class so I would think any ATV app could be updated to support it. 

12 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Good job, Apple. 

So if the box detects frame rate will it recognise 24fps on Netflix and Amazon (whenever Amazon app arrives)? Could PLEX perhaps finally support it too? 

Questions, questions...

The link I posted is to Apple’s developer page with directions to ensure apps and video content support this new feature, so I don’t see why not. 

• Like 2

If Plex, Amazon and iTunes itself all handle 24p correctly I can see me buying one when/if I go to a 4k display, certainly.

Well I tried "Reset All Settings" on my iphone 6... Seems to have done the trick for the lagginess. 11.1 had not helped.

Played with an X today. Love the build quality. It’s weighty and kind of chunky. I like that. The glass design really sells it. Display and cameras are great.

Would buy one if I had £1000 to burn. 

So has no one here got an X yet?  

They seem to be going through some growing pains from reports of image retention/burn-in, to not liking cold weather and hackers using masks and prosthetics to fool Face ID(but probably only worth it for the rich and powerful).  I do like this little "Notch Remover" app that basically uses software to just use a black background that shows time, signal, battery, etc.   

• Like 1

Sticking with the 8 here until next year but, I have to say the X looks even better than I initially thought it did. It’s a great phone just too damned expensive...

45 minutes ago, Magness said:

Sticking with the 8 here until next year but, I have to say the X looks even better than I initially thought it did. It’s a great phone just too damned expensive...

I was surprised how much I didn't hate the lack of home button/Touch ID, although I do wonder how you authorise transactions quickly with Face ID, particularly when you're in a hurry and wanting to use Apple Pay on the bus or at a tube station turnstile, or even just in line to buy a coffee. How does it work?

It works mostly the same, except that you are using FaceID to authenticate before you tap. You have to double tap the side button to bring up Applepay, authenticate with your face and then tap to pay. Apparently there is no way around the double tap of the side button. If you tap before authentication, it will ask you to double tap the side button. 

Some people find it easier, but I think this must just be people who always double tapped the home button to bring up Apple Pay first, which I almost never do unless I need to change the card. 

https://m.imore.com/iphone-x-apple-pay

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

I see. Thanks. That sounds OK. 

Latest iOS update is really driving my 6's battery down faster than previous iOS11 builds. quite frustrating. 

It feels like my 8 has lost some on the new build as well. 

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I see. Thanks. That sounds OK. 

Latest iOS update is really driving my 6's battery down faster than previous iOS11 builds. quite frustrating. 

How do you find the performance overall of iOS 11 on your 6? My sister was messaging me last night complaining about performance with it on her 6 but I have no experience with it on the 6. From what I read it seems to run alright, so she may have other issues (lack of storage space might be my first guess). 

14 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd seen some commentary that the youtube app was draining battery life quite fast in its lasted build, but I do not have that app on my phone, just my iPad. 

I do but I haven’t used it much. Hardly ever really.