LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Anyone know what color the apple Tv 4k power cord is? I have a greyish cord and a black one, can't figure out which is for the older and which is for the 4k.

So the next event is October 30 and I’m hoping for a refreshed Mini to replace mine. A new iPad Pro would be cool of course so that would be fine by me but, I REALLY want an updated Mini.

New iPad Pros are surely the most certain product as the rumour mill has been steady with regards to those lately. 

The “There’s More in the Making” tagline on the invites would surely suggest a very productivity driven show, so I hope we do finally see the new Mac Mini, and a preview of what they have in mind for the Mac Pro would be wonderful.

I’m less certain of iMacs as things have been so quiet. Intel are warning of low supply of their 9x series CPUs, and while sure Apple could stuff 2018 chips in revisions, with hardware fixes for Spectre..etc and soldered chips there are benefits to having the latest.

Ideally I think new iMacs should be re-designed. It feels overdue. Internally, porting the heatsink design of the iMac Pro (though this may come at the cost of removing user access to RAM 😬), and externally it is time for the bezels to get a slim down. Being the 20th Anniversary of the iMac there’s surely incentive to do it, but again the supply issues on the better CPUs may give pause for thought for some if they only get the 2017 8x CPUs. Likewise it’d be a shame if we get new iMacs but they miss the window to include the forthcoming AMD 590 GPU which is said to land between a 1060 and 1070 in performance (I’d be delighted with that).  It’ll be really interesting to see.

I’m very interested in a new Mini, but even if its more powerful as rumoured I have to assume it would, at best, match Macbook Pro performance options whereas my dream is an iMac spec without the screen as having torn down my PC to sell the parts I now need good GPU performance for Windows under bootcamp. I would, of course, have the option of an external GPU which I’d certainly research, but it’d depend how the costs would add up against a hypothetical new iMac.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magness said:

So the next event is October 30 and I’m hoping for a refreshed Mini to replace mine. A new iPad Pro would be cool of course so that would be fine by me but, I REALLY want an updated Mini.

I though you meant an iPad mini and thought you were crazy. I’d say we have a better chance at a new iPod mini over an iPad. 

A new Mac Mini makes much more sense. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

(though this may come at the cost of removing user access to RAM 😬 )

Like that would even enter their mind as a reason not to. 

• Like 1

I’m ready to replace my 2012 Mac Mini with a new one so i’m Hoping the specs are good for a refreshed model at the same price point. I could be persuaded to go back to a MacBook and dock it for home server use when not portable but, I prefer the Mini for the home server use and that 2012 model has been going strong since I bought it. It would be nice to have a 4K capable Mini hooked up to the TV with a faster processor/memory, etc. to handle more concurrent sessions or make Xcode better on it (not fun to use it on the old Mini now). I could also be convinced to replace my 12.9 IPad Pro but, he’s also still working like a champ and fast at everything so I’m not too bothered to replace him yet.

I honestly don’t like using my Macbook Pro docked 100% of the time as I do at the moment. It’s the main reason I’d like to finally go desktop (with a 12.9” iPad pro as a companion device). That said, I do run some intensive tasks from time to time, but even generally it runs very warm in clamshell mode in complete open space. 

For all the rumours of a higher end Mini it will be interesting to see if they still produce a basic affordable entry level model as well.

• Like 1