LCVG
kelley

Apple Discussion Thread

Wow - those are genuinely impressive scores for a tablet the size/depth/weight of the new Pros with passive cooling. 

There’s some belief right now that the 1tb models of iPad Pro (11 inch and 12.9) have 6GB of RAM while the lower capacity models have only 4GB. That’d be frustrating if true. There’s a bit of confusion over model number variants as more Geekbench listings emerge. We’ll probably have to wait until next week to know for sure. 

These iPad Pros look fantastic, and I'm still using my 2017 12.9" version, but I think I'm going to try a Pixel Slate next. Being able to have a full version of Chrome when I need it is more important to me right now. Also having a pointer when in docked mode will be welcome.

After using this iPad for a year now, iOS is close, but there are still too many workarounds for me. I know there are some big iPad changes coming to iOS 13, but I'm not sure if they are strictly UI in nature or functionality. 

My biggest want with iOS is improved file management and, with usb-c on the Pros now (albeit not thundrbolt3/usb-c) I would dearly love to be able to attach external storage. I feel like we’re closer to that being a reality now but we’ll see.

As far as the UI goes I feel that something new would be good but I don’t honestly have any ideas about what I’d like to see. The customisable dock to house more app icons made a huge difference to me. I rarely have to flip through pages to get to other apps anymore as all my priory stuff is right where I need it all the time now.  The general old fashioned screen layout of apps in rows and columns seems dated though. Again, how I’d change it I lack the imagination to say, but it looks old. It’s also weird how they don’t even make use of more space on the bigger displays to let you have more apps per page than the smaller models. 

HDR support on the new iPads has seemingly been dropped vs the 2017 model. It will output HDR to an external display but it’s looking like the tablet’s display itself will no longer support it. Possibly the displays have been downgraded to 8bit as a consequence. They still support 120hz. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

HDR support on the new iPads has seemingly been dropped vs the 2017 model. It will output HDR to an external display but it’s looking like the tablet’s display itself will no longer support it. Possibly the displays have been downgraded to 8bit as a consequence. They still support 120hz. 

That's kinda shitty

Early Geekbench scores on the i7 Mini:

The first Geekbench benchmark for one of the 2018 Mac mini models has surfaced (via VentureBeat), giving us an initial look at the performance we can expect from Apple's revamped desktop machine. 

The benchmarked model is a higher-end custom configuration that features a 3.2GHz 6-core 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, UHD Graphics 630, and 32GB RAM. At a minimum, this configuration would cost $1,699. 

macmini2018benchmark-800x775.jpg

Two scores for the machine were uploaded today from the same user taken eight minutes apart. The first features a single-core score of 5070 and a multi-core score of 16818, while the second, which suggests much better performance, features a single-core of 5512 and a multi-core score of 23516. 

The higher-end score set puts this particular Mac mini configuration right on par with the high-end 2.9GHz 2018 MacBook Pro, which earned a single-core Geekbench score of 5433 and a multi-core score of 22556. Given the price point of this Mac mini's configuration, its MacBook Pro-matching performance comes as no surprise. 

The Mac mini also closely matches the 2013 Mac Pro models when it comes to multi-core performance and exceeds them when it comes to single-core performance. With the exception of the iMac Pro, it outperforms 2017 iMac models, which were not refreshed this year. 

It's not clear why there's such a disparity between the two Geekbench readings, but it's possible with the first that background tasks produced a lower result, hence the retest. 

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/02/first-mac-mini-benchmark-surfaces/

Honestly not 100% on eGPU with bootcamp. Certainly from Apple’s perspective, they’re in little hurry to extend native eGPU support to windows. It’s easier on some types of Mac vs others - indeed the Mini having no dedicated eGPU may make it easier - but there are still some potential headaches.

From the superb egpu.io website:

Boot Camp Support

Many Mac users who are interested in eGPU want to use it for gaming in Windows. We were hoping eGPU improvement in macOS Mojave 10.14 would also mean better support for Boot Camp mode. The reality is that Apple still considers eGPU use in Windows a non-priority. We had seen beta builds of macOS Mojave 10.14 directly affect the way eGPU worked in Boot Camp. Unfortunately there's no one clear solution. It's easier to set up an eGPU with Boot Camp in iGPU only Mac computers; dGPU-equipped Macs such as the 15" MacBook Pro pose a challenge. My Boot Camp eGPU setup guide provides more technical information and the step-by-step process for Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro users.

While both AMD and Nvidia have made great strides in eGPU support for Windows, Apple does not adhere to the ways Windows computers interact with Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs. I've been testing the 2018 15" MacBook Pro. The Mac firmware and Apple T2 chip are big hurdles to successfully set up an external GPU in Boot Camp. The only saving grace is that it has Large Memory allocation to help with error 12 when adding an Nvidia eGPU. As seen in the screen capture, adding an AMD eGPU in Boot Camp can wreak serious havoc to the system. Both the Radeon Pro 555X dGPU and RX 580 eGPU got yellow-banged with driver conflict and lack of resource issues.

Microsoft has done Apple a huge favor with Windows 10 Spring Update. Version 1803 introduced Windows Hybrid Graphics that allows the external GPU to work with a discrete GPU for internal display acceleration. This is beneficial for Mac computers because Apple firmware has a tendency to disable the Intel-integrated GPU in favor of the AMD Radeon discrete GPU. Without an active iGPU, AMD XConnect and Nvidia Optimus can't leverage eGPU acceleration to the internal display. As seen in the Graphics Settings of Windows, you can set your preference for a given software or game to use the higher-performing external graphics card.

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/state-of-egpu-for-macs-mojave-10-14-update/

It’ll be interesting to see what they make of the Mini. Hopefully they will get hold of one sooner rather than later. My conundrum is that I need dedicated GPU performance for Capture One Pro. It will run on intel graphics, certainly, but performance would be worse than what I have now with the NVIDIA dGPU acceleration that I can take advantage of in my mid-2014 mbp, so the Mini alone might not be satisfactory as spending £500 on an egpu (card and enclosure) purely for the sake of one application reduces the value of the external graphics set up if I cannot also run it reliably with Windows for gaming. 

I suppose I could use a single eGPU with both the mini AND a custom built miniITX PC? Could be the best way to go perhaps, or failing that hold out to see what the next wave of iMac updates bring as an iMac specified to my taste would probably match the cost of a Mini, eGPu and a tiny PC build (it would be the most flexible long term option, though costly upfront).

On 11/1/2018 at 8:10 AM, Angry the Clown said:

There’s some belief right now that the 1tb models of iPad Pro (11 inch and 12.9) have 6GB of RAM while the lower capacity models have only 4GB. That’d be frustrating if true. There’s a bit of confusion over model number variants as more Geekbench listings emerge. We’ll probably have to wait until next week to know for sure. 

This is a bummer, at this time I'll try to hold out for one more year.

It’s looking to be true, but why the difference exists nobody seems to quite know for sure. Some believe it’s there to leverage the higher capacity storage but I’m suspicious of that, although Apple did say they had to do some re-configuration to get 1TB into iPads. 

My 9.7” Pro runs 2GB and is still very smooth, so by the time 4TB feels slow to me in the new model I will feel ready to upgrade anyway. I’ll probably drop in on an Apple store for a hands on next Wednesday.

• Like 1

Most likely it’s needed by the SSD controller. 

The 970 Samsung uses 1GB of RAM internally for 1TB.

5 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's what many seem to be thinking yes. 2GB seems like overkill for such a task though. 

who knows, maybe their algos May as well take more than the 1G used by Samsung.

Or maybe the part density they are using comes in 2G increments. 

• Like 1

Had a play with the new 12.9” Pro. I absolutely love the design. First 12.9” that feels good in one hand too. Great to hold and incredibly light (barely heavier than my 9.7”). I never played with a 10.5” 2017 model so I was instantly in love with the 120hz refresh rate on the latest Pros. 

The new pencil is excellent too. No idea why they did not have Procreate loaded in store but I used it in notes where I could double tap to switch between pen and eraser. Physically it’s an enormous leap over its predecessor, still thicker than a real pencil but the flat side makes it feel more like something traditional, and the matte finish also adds to the improved grip over its glossy predecessor. VERY secure magnetic attachment and the wireless charging doesn’t even compare to the daft lighting connection of the original.

I also had a play with an XR. That’s a really nice phone. I wouldn’t feel bad “settling” for that display vs the OLED of the X. It’s a terrific screen in its own right. The XR is just too damn big for my taste though (I love all the colour options though. The yellow one in particular). Hopefully a future XR will mirror the two size options of the X next year. 

Saw the new Mini as well. It’s a space grey mini so don’t know what else can be said. It was an i5 model loaded with only basic apps so I couldn’t gauge much about the performance. All those connections round back though... Wonderful. I hope future iMacs are the same. 

• Like 1

Sooooo the RAM on the Mini is indeed upgradable.... so long as you don’t mind disconnecting the WiFi unit, removing the fan and finally removing the entire damn logic board.

It’s definitely time for the OS to live up to the hardware, whether it be under iOS or a dedicated variant for iPad Pros.

We’ll see next summer I guess. Wasn’t the rumour that iOS12 was more of an under the hood update paving way for something substantial next year?

For me the biggies are file management and the want to attach external storage. I desperately want to hope that the USB-C connected is a sign that this will happen, but who knows. It’s a shame the USB-C isn’t a thunderbolt USB connection, but still, if they want people to edit big video or photo projects on these things we need those additions. The only reason why they might not allow external storage is the want to make you buy larger capacity models to begin with, but I’m not THAT cynical of the way they think... not yet anyway.

Oh and add vp9 support in Safari for God’s sake. 

Does anyone know the turnaround on the iPhone battery replacement scheme before it ends this month? Is it something they do in store taking only a few hours or do they have to send you phone away?

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Does anyone know the turnaround on the iPhone battery replacement scheme before it ends this month? Is it something they do in store taking only a few hours or do they have to send you phone away?

Ha, I have an appointment to get my 6s battery replaced in a couple hours! I’ll let you know. (Supposed to be in store)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It’s done in store. When I got mine, you had to reserve a battery, but once your battery was reserved, you could go in without an appointment. 

Soon after I got mine, you didn’t have to reserve a battery anymore. 

Took them like 90 minutes to replace mine, but told me when I went to pick it up that the wait was like 5+ hours then because they had so many people coming in to have it done. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ll make an appointment for next week and catch a movie while they work on it or something. 

Anything worth doing before handing it over besides a backup? Remove sim card? 

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

When I went today, the repair and pickup time for me about 5 hours later which I was going to do, but he told me I could also schedule to drop it off tomorrow and the repair time would be shorter, which I did. So Im going to drop off the phone at 10am tomorrow and hang out at the coffee shop close by for a couple of hours. 

I didn't have to reserve a battery or anything, I think they had them ready to go. 

Also, the guy helping me did say the "next day drop off" thing was something this particular store was piloting for Apple, so I'm not sure how widespread that is.

Not sure what the plan is in the UK, but the $29 battery where you can "opt-in" to replacing at that price even if the diagnostic show's it's still good, lasts until December 16th here. 

• Like 1

After seeing them in the Apple store, I'm liking the idea of possibly replacing my 27" iMac with a new Mac Mini and a couple of 21.5" LG 4k monitors. I feel like I might like the width of screen real estate better.