LCVG
Angel P

Video Game Pile of Shame

I really don't have much of a pile. I mean I have games that I've not completely finished but they are few and far between (Torchlight is my current rainy day game I'm working through off/on). I used to do multi-game play throughs where I had several games at a time that I would alternate from but that just wasn't much fun. I felt like I was trying to accomplish more but ended up enjoying less. Now I'm a singular focus type and I don't stop until a game is done and I've seen a good majority of its content. I also don't buy what I don't plan to finish.

I've bought and completed most major releases this year and don't plan to stop. I've had enough time to play through some oldies like Uncharted 2 and I'm currently replaying through the Silent Hill series (about an hour from finishing Silent Hill 3).

The only thing I did wish I had more time for was to replay some game experiences I really enjoyed but that's not anything I'm in a big hurry to do. Years later and I just finished up Silent Hill 2 again this past weekend. I think I can find time for Dead Space 2 in the near future:).

What has changed for me is that I'm far more willing to completely abandon a game I don't care for. Red Dead is a perfect example. A few years ago I would have plowed through it even despite not being a huge fan. After about 4 hours I realized it's not my thing and stopped. Got rid of it and moved on. I find myself doing that more and more with games that are heavily padded or just aren't very compelling.

In other cases (like Dragon Age 2 for example), I'll continue on with a mediocre experience in hopes that I'm not judging too harshly with my own biases. In some cases (like Dragon Age 2 for example) I was judging just fine. ;)

My current Pile

Torchlight

Yakuza 4

Two Worlds II

Mortal Kombat (new one)

What has changed for me is that I'm far more willing to completely abandon a game I don't care for. Red Dead is a perfect example. A few years ago I would have plowed through it even despite not being a huge fan. After about 4 hours I realized it's not my thing and stopped. Got rid of it and moved on. I find myself doing that more and more with games that are heavily padded or just aren't very compelling.

I felt like that after 30 minutes of playing Devil May Cry 4. I figured, "fuck this shit" and started F.E.A.R. 2 instead.

I felt like that after 30 minutes of playing Devil May Cry 4. I figured, "fuck this shit"

*saving space for animated gif displaying someone in pure disbelief to be filled in later*

Seriously though, the outlandishness of Devil May Cry is an acquired taste. If you don't take the storyline too seriously it works. Much like Bayonetta (a game that you're likely to dislike equally if Devil May Cry didn't do it for you), the game lives and dies on its combat which is exceptional if a step below Devil May Cry 3 which is the crown jewel of the series, IMHO.

No game that allows you to do this...

is bad though:). Just as Red Dead isn't a bad game, it just doesn't appeal to me is all.

It takes skill to play DMC at a high level and to "connect" with the game. That's why I love the series so damned much. Hopefully Ninja Theory don't fuck that up.

No, they're all shite. Mail them to me, I'll dispose of them for you.

I'm working on my pile of shame (and it's a large pile, thanks trades on VGG & GameStop's various deals last year!). More games + accessories likely to get sold off soon.

Started Folklore last night, will be posting about it soon. What an interesting quirky little game!

I am trying the play multiple games at once concept and much as Romier found it is not working for me. My Radiant Historia and Donkey Kong Country Returns plays have pretty much stalled out and, in fact, I have spent the last few days playing through the original Max Payne again.

My new plan is laser focus one game at a time to finish as many as possible before L.A. Noire. I have no preconceptions that this will work out any better for me ;)

What an interesting quirky little game!

It's really a fun little game. Very overlooked but totally solid in just about every way that counts.

Owned but untouched:

Assassins Creed 2

Dead Space 2

God of War 3

Halo Reach

Mass Effect 2

The thing about that list is two of them are very easily beatable in a small amount of time. I would play them in the following order:

God of War 3 - Default difficulty will take about 8 hours

Halo Reach - Default difficulty will take about 7-8 hours as well

Dead Space 2 - Next shortest but you're going to clock nearly 12 hours with it (and it's well worth it!)

Mass Effect 2 - Depends on how much you want to do but you can feasibly finish the story in about 20 hours by ignoring most of the side stuff. 40 hours if you want to do everything.

Assassin's Creed 2 - It should be the last thing you play because it's an investment and you can EASILY dump 40 hours into it. You can speed through, but you won't want to.

Cheers. I'll bear that schedule in mind... Idiot that I am means I'll still buy Portal 2 and LA Noire in the coming weeks to add to that list, of course.... I've STILL got Uncharted 2 and Castlevania to finish as well, and it's been so long since I last played the latter than I had forgotten how to play it when I recently revisited the game for ten minutes.

My new plan is laser focus one game at a time

I've been trying to do that for a few years now and it's worked out pretty well, but every so often I end up starting three or four things at once. Portable games are the worst for this kind of thing-I have six or seven psp/ds/3ds games that I've started and never finished.

Going to try to get more focused again though-finally stated something new last night.

Progress!

The relatively slow summer months let me slaughter a pile of games I had been meaning to play. I finally played Enslaved, am nearly done with both Trauma Team and Gray Matter (figured out how to get the damn thing working on my computer finally), and... Okay, it's still a start though.

Thanks to Game Vault I see I have a ridiculous 17 games on the 360/ps3 alone I want to play, not counting any psn/xbla purchases. Sigh. Castlevania is driving me nuts, I really want to play it, but making time at the end of the year just not happening.

I think I've done pretty good this year. I've been able to remove a few titles from my pile (GH5, Red Faction, 50 Cent, FEAR 2 and DJ Hero) while also finishing every game I purchased this year. Yeah, not including Uncharted 3, it's only been 8 purchases but still. :)

Man this topic is depressing.

This has totally gotten out of control for me the past couple months. I have been desperately trying to complete Xenoblade Chronicles and it has caused a lot of purchases to just hit my 'to play' pile.

Just from this year:

Kingdoms of Amalur

Witcher 2

Max Payne 3

Tales of Graces F

Driver: San Francisco

All the PS+ stuff. Steam sale games.

Plus a huge pile of unplayed and two hours in stuff like Skyward Sword and Castlevania. Sigh.

I've done a better job this year of curtailing the impulse to buy games that would probably land on my pile than previous years. I've only purchased 2 this year (Journey, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier) and have finished them both. Only other game I wanted to pick up (Darkness 2), I'll wait for my pile to go down some. By then, game should be south of $20.

That being said, I did pick up a couple of games over the holidays (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus) since my last post in November that I've yet to start.

I've caught up on all the games, other than Arkham City, that I've wanted to play. I'm actually replaying through GTA4, just because I'm bored and, there really isn't anything out that Interests me. Not sure what the "next big game" due out is.

Actually, scratch that......I have the lastest Uncharted game, and even though I'm near the end, I still haven't finished it yet. Kind of forgot about it. Really didn't care for it that much. Last game, imho, was MUCH better.

In case anybody was worried, this is only much worse now :). I have a solid decade I could spend gaming and I would never catch up to my unplayed.

I think the money spent thread has been way better at deterring me than anything else. But I have about... 40 games on the Switch and maybe three completed, tacked on to everything already on this list :P.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

In case anybody was worried, this is only much worse now :). I have a solid decade I could spend gaming and I would never catch up to my unplayed.

I think the money spent thread has been way better at deterring me than anything else. But I have about... 40 games on the Switch and maybe three completed, tacked on to everything already on this list :P.

tenor.gif

Why don't you just buy the games when you're ready to play them?

tenor.gif?itemid=8014785

• Haha 1

A lot of it is retail therapy, combined with my ADD that gets immense satisfaction from shiny new things, unfortunately.

I’ve gotten much better about it the last couple years, but still not perfect. I try and only buy at full price when the game warrants it and I’ll play it right away.

So I also buy a lot of sale items for a rainy day.

41 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Why don't you just buy the games when you're ready to play them?

What, you mean like when they're probably being sold at full retail price? I could do that, or I could buy them when they're being sold for 70% off and save a ton of money in the process. That's the main culprit for why I currently have so many purchased and unplayed games.

Of course the downside to this is that I'm spending money on a product I may not use for a long time. Additionally, by the time I buy said game and when I actually play it, the game might go on sale again for an even lower price or see a permanent price drop below what I spent on it.

• Like 3

This is why i stopped buying games when they come out.  Out of the three new released games I purchased last year (yes, only 3), I played 2 of them to 100% completion (God of War, Spider-Man).  I’ll eventually get around to Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Thanks to the GamersClub, I never paid full price for any of them especially when combined with Best Buy RZ points (paid a total of $5 for God of War Mason Edition) and gift cards.

Unfortunately, my GamersClub membership expires next month but I just don’t buy as much as I used to for me to worry.  

Even when my attention has diverted to vinyl, it’s only when there’s a ”bogo” sale online or a 20-40% off coupon at B&N or Newbury when I splurge.

I’ve just managed to get better at controlling my ”Day 1” spending since the start of this thread.

15 hours ago, JFo said:

What, you mean like when they're probably being sold at full retail price? I could do that, or I could buy them when they're being sold for 70% off and save a ton of money in the process. That's the main culprit for why I currently have so many purchased and unplayed games.

I obviously say that jestfully given I perform the same behavior and am currently harboring dozens of games for the reasons described above.

But come on let's not assume that all game purchases must be purchased at full price to bolster the argument that it makes sense to stockpile games of these quantities.  Or anything for that matter.  The mere fact that we're all slow to get to these great games easily affords us the opportunity to purchase these games for discounted prices 6+ months after they're released... closer to when we actually intend to play them.  "Oh no, Skyrim is $7 on Steam, I have to buy it.  It might go back to $59.99 forever after this sale" - That is not the case.  

With the exception of games that become collector's items on eBay, or Nintendo games which never seem to be discounted (Fuck Nintendo), older games can be had at discounted prices.

I have like 15 steam games that I haven't touched (total guess, could be more).   And like 20 PS4 games I haven't touched.  And for me, when I buy discounted games, or get them free from PS+, I devalue them.  The urgency of playing a new game that I just got for $59.00 is high, and I almost always give those games their time.  But all those "bargain" games, no matter how good they are, are depleted of urgency and just sit there.  For me, getting cheap games actually de-incentifies me from playing them.  It is an odd psychology based on perceived value.

Uncharted 4 is a great game but I got it so cheaply, it can wait.  Its old at this point.  There are newer games that people are talking about.  I must play those games.  Soon Doom Eternal will come out and the Last of Us II.  Then I can stop feeling guilty about not playing Uncharted 4 because I have some legit new games to play.