LCVG
SCREWNUT

British TV shows are the BEST!!!

Okay. As you all know I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and Torchwood. But lately I've been finding myself more and more turning the TV to BBC Channel Canada, PBS and TVontario channels then I have been for the normal big three cable networks.

Simply put.....North American shows just don't do it for me anymore. Supernatural is the only thing I watch now that is filmed here in North America.

British TV shows is were it's at! From "Keeping up Apperances, The IT crowd, Skins, Black Adder, Spaced, Black Books and now my newest Addiction. The 2004 award winning Blackpool series staring David Tennant.

Blackpool is a murder mystery/musical show that only has 6 episodes. (think of it as a movie cut into six parts)

Here's some clips from the show....

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=LzqiJO8sfn4&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjv3cpeHgAs&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=evjxCRaXe2g&feature=related

So basically I know there are a few UK members on this board, and my question to you is....

Can you suggest some other British shows that I might love? :)

Thanks in Advance!

I've got a couple favourites.

Red Dwarf - 8 Series (coming back for a new special in april too)

Coupling - 4 Series (created by Stephen Moffat now of Who fame... and hilarious)

Monty Python's Flying Circus - 4 Series (Classic. Cmon.)

Father Ted - 3 Series

Michael Palin's Travelogues (There's like 8 of these different series... all Fantastic)

I've got a couple favourites.

Red Dwarf - 8 Series (coming back for a new special in april too)

Coupling - 4 Series (created by Stephen Moffat now of Who fame... and hilarious)

Monty Python's Flying Circus - 4 Series (Classic. Cmon.)

Father Ted - 3 Series

Michael Palin's Travelogues (There's like 8 of these different series... all Fantastic)

Seen them all but Travelogues! Yeah Coupling was hilarious and the US version just sucked big time!! Thanks Lutter!!

Being Human started almost exactly a week ago (episode 2 is on in a coulple of hours). It is AWESOME. There's a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost, and they live together in a flat.

Cross This Life with Ultraviolet (the monumentally stunning 2001 series, not that film with Milla Jovovich), and you'll be utterly confused. But you might just be persuaded to give it a go. And that was one hell of an opening episode.

There's a Pilot up on the internets as well, which is apparently also great, but I missed it. There have been some significant changes since then, though, so I'm leaving it alone for now.

Being Human started almost exactly a week ago (episode 2 is on in a coulple of hours). It is AWESOME. There's a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost, and they live together in a flat.

BINGO!! That's the one I've been looking for! I new it had a vampire and a ghost in it, but not a werewolf! COOL! I totally forgot it's name. Thank Iainl!! I look for that one as soon as i can free up my time from Blackpool!

I was lucky enough to see Ultraviolet ( The uk tv show) and it was amazing...wish i knew where to pick it up on DVD, but sadly i dont think it's available on this side of the pond yet!

Thanks guys...keep them coming!!! :rock

I've got the UK DVD of Ultraviolet, but it's a non-anamorphic, 14:9 misframed and muddy mess of a set, sadly. Still, you should Buy This.

Oh, and it's not a flat it's a house, but you get the idea re: Being Human.

On another note, DON'T waste your time with 'Demons'. ITV try to rip off Buffy, without either charm or writing ability. It's terrible; the worst thing I've seen in ages.

On another note, DON'T waste your time with 'Demons'. ITV try to rip off Buffy, without either charm or writing ability. It's terrible; the worst thing I've seen in ages.

Too late. :(

Downloaded the first episode. As the Queen would say...."I am not amused!" :D

It was garbage....same goes for the third season of Skins. Don't care for it anymore. Miss the blonde guy from the first two seasons!

Peep Show. I'm amazed they've kept with the POV thing for so long, since it must be a pain in the ass to shoot and it just seems natural after a while - either way, this show is hilarious.

Any Chris Morris parody (The Day Today, Brass Eye), watch them now if you haven't seen them. There's also a little overlap there with Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge character, which has some great moments of his own but could probably do without the laugh track.

Any Chris Morris parody (The Day Today, Brass Eye), watch them now if you haven't seen them. There's also a little overlap there with Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge character, which has some great moments of his own but could probably do without the laugh track.

I’ll second this, principally because Iannucci, Marber, Coogan, Morris et al were probably the greatest contributors to British comedy in the 1990s. The Day Today began life on Radio 4 as On the Hour, and Knowing me Knowing You followed with Alan Partridge followed as a radio show before moving to television. There are rewards for following their works on the radio through to television – particularly in the case of Alan Partirdge who first came to life in On the Hour.

It was Series 1 of I’m Alan Partridge that I think drew a line under the character in the end. Series 2 is patchy. It has its moments but to me was – looking back – a signal of the lazy and disappointing decade this was going to be for British comedy. Saxondale has ended up being a far more rewarding, though lesser seen, exercise than Series 2 of ‘I’m Alan’ for Coogan this decade I think. It’s worth checking out.

There was an enormous amount of overlapping talent for comedy here in the 90s. You can play a six degrees game linking everyone in some way or another (Linehan and Matthews wrote for The Day Today for example). It resulted in some terrific creative partnerships which we’re not really seeing anymore – at least not on such a noticeable almost endlessly satisfying scale. Much this decade has been disappointingly smug, and often downright nasty and cheap humour by comparison (but smug, nasty and cheap does say a lot about television of the past ten years in general).

The past ten years have still produced a sprinkling of comic highlights, chief amongst them being Armando Iannucci’s series ‘The Thick of it’ and the little seen ‘Armando Iannucci Shows.’ Next to those I rate Garth Meregnhi’s Darkplace very highly – as do the other ten people that saw it. Peepshow has endured five years rather well. Series 1 and 2 remain the best, but 3, 4, and 5 still make for comfortingly amusing viewing.

One series you should dig up his ‘Help’ by Paul Whitehouse and Chris Langham. Truly one of the most brilliant things I have seen on television in the past ten years. However, because the BBC is run by gutless shits they have never repeated this series or released it on DVD purely because of Langham’s arrest and conviction in 2005 (which had NOTHING to do with this series - they just couldn't bring themselves to sell anything with his face on, which is why he's not on the DVD artwork for The Thick of It). It's a great pity, and a particular disservice to Paul Whitehouse.

Edited by Doctor Hoo

I'm a HUGE fan of of Top Gear. That show has turned me into more of a car guy than I ever was before (which isn't much) but the main reason I love it is that it's hilarious, hugely entertaining, the hosts are fantastic, and I think whoever their musical director is must be my musical soul-mate cause their always playing good tunes (although they did go a little crazy using the Batman Begins theme in one of the series).

If someone's going to mention Red Dwarf, Black Adder and Python, we might as well mention The Office.

And Ali G

And even Little Britain

Tried watching a few episodes of Little Britain. Did not find it amusing.

Try Little Britain USA... I liked it a lot more than the British version for some reason.

The latest season of Spooks kicks every other one I've seen in the throat. More emphasis on Harry = More AWESOME.

Sounds Good! I'll have to start catching up on these then... I haven't seen series 6 or 7 yet. I wish they were available for netflix instant view (they seem to for 1-5)

Oh yea, I wasn't counting the cooking channel shows in my list heh.

Ramsay's tv series show his unmistakable passion for cooking, and he's got a lot of sense, and respect for the customer, which I like.

He's got a meanstreak when stuff isn't going well - I know he's trying to get people to do their best, and share the same passion and energy he has for the cooking but it's hard for me to watch him go ballistic on folks (even when they deserve it)

I do really enjoy his episodes when he's more relaxed though

Just started watching "The IT Crowd" yesterday. Holy crap it's hilarious.

While I'm usually glad that British shows have shorter runs than American shows since they can maintain the quality a bit easier... I'm gonna done with all three series by the end of the day and that makes me sad.

I am constantly amazed that US television never manages to figure that out, Graeme, actually. A four series, er, series from Britain has the same episode count as a single season of something here. The quality simply cannot sustain the quantity. Forces you to really make the most of the episodes you have in the case of the British too.

Anyway. One of my favorite British series is Cracker, featuring the best Robbie Coltrane performance ever. Seriously, the first two seasons of this show are just godly and utterly brilliant television.

I'm sure it's all about money. It's easier to sell popular shows to advertisers, and if you've got 20-24 episodes of that show, you're going to have a much easier time selling that advertising time than if you've got a show that's going to be on for 6 episodes and then it's gone for a year or so and you've got to start over with a new show.

That's also why they continue to remake popular British shows rather than just show them here.

With a lot of shows in Britain being on the BBC, things are a little different. Even though not all the shows are on BBC, that way of thinking probably persists.