LCVG
SCREWNUT

British TV shows are the BEST!!!

The Shooting Stars formula never changed. They almost always did silly sketches (they'd be related to specific questions). I'm not a fan of contemporary British comedy these days. It's nowhere near up to the standards of the 90s and early 2000s. I can't abide Little Britain which saddens me as I do like Matt Lucas and David Walliams and their old Mash & Peas/Rock Profile work from around ten years ago, not to mention a lot of supporting roles they played in other shows over the years.

The very best comedy on here in my opinion, and returning for its second series this autumn, is The Thick of It. No idea if that has been airing on BBC America, but they may run it when In the Loop hits US cinemas. The BBC are reluctant to repeat the fist series however due to an unfortunate incident its lead actor got himself into. For that same reason the BBC also continue to be gutless and acknowledge the series 'Help' which was one of the most brilliant works of comedy I have ever seen in the past ten years. Aside from that, Peep Show is really the only other comedy series (back for series 6 later this year) that I continue to enjoy. Again though, Psychoville is said to be very good and that has only just finished airing.

Though both series have been and gone for some years now Look Around You is worth checking out, and I also enjoyed Steve Coogan's Saxondale. The Peter Serafinowicz Show also had some great moments (amongst a number of ones that fell flat, but compared to other contemporary sketch comedy it was a good effort... that the BBC have chosen not re-commission).

Ouch.

BBC AMERICA's new HD channel, which is a simulcast of BBC AMERICA's standard definition channel, was made available to all the channel's distribution partners on July 20. We have a number of deals signed and in the pipeline, and are looking forward to letting you know our partners' HD launch plans. We apologize if the launch of the HD channel has caused confusion, but you can continue to watch all BBC AMERICA programming on the standard definition channel until your provider launches HD.

Bah I didn't even watch Children of Earth yet, glad you posted that. I may just wait for the BR to come out

They're repeating the full mini-series this weekend or next, Joey (probably because so few carriers have BBCA HD yet...).

Worst... channel... launch... ever.

Seriously, NO WHERE in Texas can you get their BBC-HD channel. Why even bother launching until you sign carrier agreements?

the new Children Of Earth is possibly the best thing I've seen on TV this year; easily the best thing Russell T. Davies has done since Casanova.

I could not wait, so I picked up the Blu-ray of Children of Earth. Ian I 100% agree it is one of the best thing's I have seen this year. Maybe the best of everything on TV and that is saying a lot considering Lost was great this year, and Shield/Battlestar ended. The last few episodes left me speechless. I thought it would be dark, but not that dark.

I could not wait, so I picked up the Blu-ray of Children of Earth. Ian I 100% agree it is one of the best thing's I have seen this year. Maybe the best of everything on TV and that is saying a lot considering Lost was great this year, and Shield/Battlestar ended. The last few episodes left me speechless. I thought it would be dark, but not that dark.

I was expecting them to do something like this, but no go as far as they did with Captain Jack. But if you think about it...with Russell leaving, who was going to take over Torchwood? Plus they needed a really good reason for Jack to leave again. But yeah...it was brutal....totally didnt expect a few things at all.

But this is what makes British TV shows better then anything the Americans can put on the air! (just my opinion! :) )

But yeah...it was brutal....totally didnt expect a few things at all.

But this is what makes British TV shows better then anything the Americans can put on the air! (just my opinion! :) )

Exactly. I was surprised to learn that Deadwood and Homicide were BBC shows, but there you have it. ;)

I downloaded all five episodes a couple weeks ago and agree that they are outstanding.

I was shocked when the bureaucrat killed his entire family, and then that was topped when Captain Jack killed his own grandson, in front of his daughter.

You pretty much have to end the series after that.

Im just curious. You say that but what American made shows do you watch?

Just Supernatural and Tru Blood.

I spend more time playing xbox then i do watching tv shows in my spare time.

Torchwood Children of Earth was brutal. Man, I sure didn't see that ending coming. Really good stuff though, enjoyed it a great deal. I think I was actually most surprised by Janto's fate. After that, I was shell shocked enough to accept almost anything (except maybe killing pregnant Gwen, that would have been too much.)

I just wish that BBC America would be a little quicker with their big shows... I mean Doctor Who: The Next Doctor took 7 full months to air on the channel (from Christmas till the last week of July). Top Gear is just starting Series 12 on August 17th when Series 13 just finished showing this week in the UK... Being Human is also from the beginning of the year. Torchwood: CoE is where I'd like to see them... just a week or two between the UK and US.

I like hearing that they're going to be showing lots of their new shows uncut on first airing... I find Top Gear almost unwatchable on their channels because they cut out a good 15 minutes (usually an entire segment) to fit it in a hour block with commercials.

I liked it when John Barrowman, when asked about how he felt about his bum being censored on the BBCA showing of Children of Earth replied something to the effect of "America can't handle my bum". LOL.

But seriously... if they could offer all the BBC channels here in the US I'd be willing to pay the same license fee as they pay in the UK for no commericals and a straight simulcast. That would be ideal, but would probably never happen. :D

Heck, on my digital tv I can get local channels from Japan, India, Korea, Indonesia, China, Mexico, Germany, Poland, Russia... you name it... but not anything British.

BBC America has picked up the right to the next season of Doctor Who.

[08.10.09 - 06:11 AM]

BBC AMERICA'S BEST WEEK EVER - 3.3 MILLION TUNE IN TO TORCHWOOD

Released by BBC America

[NOTE: The following article is a press release issued by the aforementioned network and/or company. Any errors, typos, etc. are attributed to the original author. The release is reproduced solely for the dissemination of the enclosed information.]

BBC AMERICA's Best Week Ever - 3.3 Million Tune in to Torchwood

BBC AMERICA also announces the U.S. premiere of the new Doctor Who series starring Matt Smith

NEW YORK, Aug. 10 -- BBC AMERICA's recent week of sci-fi gave the channel its best week ever. The week of July 20 saw the U.S. premiere of three key sci-fi titles - the five night miniseries Torchwood: Children of Earth, the first of four Doctor Who specials starring David Tennant, Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead and the latest buzz show from the UK Being Human.

Torchwood: Children of Earth is BBC AMERICA's most successful series ever, reaching 3.3m in Live+SD across the week. It delivered an average audience of 705,000 viewers per episode, with Friday's finale attracting 847,000, the largest average audience in the channel's history. Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead also performed strongly with 657,000 viewers in Live+SD.

In the Monday-Friday, 9-10P hour among A25-54, BBC AMERICA ranked #13 in coverage rating (.51) and #22 in delivery (380k) among the 75 Nielsen-rated ad supported cable networks. For the week, July 20, in the 9-10P hour, the channel - available in 64 million homes - outperformed, in Live+SD A25-54 delivery several nets with significantly higher distribution, such as MSNBC, Animal Planet, Bravo, BET, Travel, Oxygen, Hallmark, TV Land, Soap, MTV, E!, WE, and Headline News.

Following on the strong ratings, critical acclaim and rapturous reception at San Diego's Comic-Con for all three sci-fi titles - including a standing ovation for Doctor Who's David Tennant - BBC AMERICA has announced the acquisition of the new season of Doctor Who starring Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor. Shot in HD, the U.S. premiere season of 13 episodes, will air Q2, 2010 following soon after its UK premiere.

BBC AMERICA's Best Week Ever - 3.3 Million Tune in to Torchwood

Including 2 people on BBC America HD, both of whom watched it at the station.

Really looking forward to Matt Smith starting as The Doctor... he's just got such a weird look to him that I can't wait to see what he does with the character.

The new Who has generally ran March - May, so it'll be interesting to see exactly how far apart the UK and US broadcast are apart (if BBCA is producing [like they did with Torchwood: CoE]) it should be a shorter wait. Maybe by someone will actually be able to see their HD channel, lol.

but the game shows (Shooting Stars, can't remember ???) were such fun.

Shooting Stars returned for its new series this evening so you might want to look for a torrent. It was better than last year's Christmas special. I smiled a lot, though it was short on laugh out loud moments. That said, George had a wonderful song and Vic had this sublime little aside with some corn on the cob pieces which I adored.