LCVG
SCREWNUT

British TV shows are the BEST!!!

...and Peep Show ended last night. Outside of two strong episodes it was a series mostly filled with misses sadly. It's as if they've forgotten how to write for these characters at times now (Johnson in particular just gets worse and worse, his actions are in complete contradiction to his personality established in series 1 and 2).

The Thick of It returns tonight for series 2 (or 3 depending how you want to look at it). Also to be available in HD. Very excited to have it back.

I'm working my way through Coupling again on netflix. This show always makes me LOL.

Seeing Jack Davenport in Flash Forward made me want to take the DVDs off the shelf again for a viewing sooner rather than later. Never liked, nor owned, series4 though.

"Women remember, Steve. It's like they've got minds of their own!"

Yeah S4 is total crap since Jeff Left. I just finished up The Melty Man Cometh. Steve and Jeff explaining that is one of my favorite parts of the series. "It's like Darth Vader, without the Helmet"

I never saw the US version, so I didn't realize Sonya Walger was in the US version of Coupling. So you have Davenport who was steve in the Uk version, and Walger as Salley in the US version a potential couple in the flash forward

I'm working my way through Coupling again on netflix. This show always makes me LOL.

Really wish this series had ended at Series 2...

Every. Single. Episode. Of series 1 & 2 are CLASSIC. "The Man with Two Legs" is definitely my favorite episode. heh.

Season 3 sputters

Season 4 crashes without Jeff.

The only reason I have S3/S4 is I got a great deal on the box set a few years back on a BBC DDD.com sale.

I like 3, it tries too hard at times and does push Jeff a wee bit too far (after the generally excellent return of The thick of It the other night they need to reign in Malcolm a bit), but it has a lot of good lines I think. The "time to grow up" kind of note it ends on is where the series should have finished for good.

I really like season 3. I'm watching S4 again and the first few episodes are still very funny (Episode 2's long phone conversation with everyone is great). After that I believe is when it totally crashed

Edited by CaptDS9E

Was trotting around hmv.co.uk today and noticed that they have an exclusive DVD set of The Thick of It: Series 1 & Specials for 9.99UKP.

It's basically the two former releases bundled in one keepcase (from what it looks like) but even with HMV's exorbitant shipping (4.50UKP) it came out to about $10 cheaper than Amazon.co.uk.

Oh, BTW... In the Loop is coming out on blu-ray in the states on January 10th, 2010. No idea why there's no sign of Thick of It, but I just solved that problem! ;)

I'd buy the UK blu of In the Loop but it has an authoring error where it doesn't play properly in a certain number of players, including the Oppo, so I may have to wait for the US disc. Hopefully it will port all the same special features.

That's a great price on the Thick of It DVD set. The second episode of the new series at the weekend was very good. Apparently we wont be seeing Jamie at all this series though. :(

I got the Peep Show series 6 DVD recently after Amazon mistakenly put it up for pre order for ?5 some months ago. Episodes improve somewhat with repeat viewing, but there's still an awful lot of inconsistency in the writing. Last episode is still pretty poor.

I'd buy the UK blu of In the Loop but it has an authoring error where it doesn't play properly in a certain number of players, including the Oppo, so I may have to wait for the US disc. Hopefully it will port all the same special features.

That's a great price on the Thick of It DVD set. The second episode of the new series at the weekend was very good. Apparently we wont be seeing Jamie at all this series though. :(

I got the Peep Show series 6 DVD recently after Amazon mistakenly put it up for pre order for ?5 some months ago. Episodes improve somewhat with repeat viewing, but there's still an awful lot of inconsistency in the writing. Last episode is still pretty poor.

Perhaps a scheduling conflict on Higgins' part with filming the ever-so-fail Hope Springs series which aired 2-3 months ago, iirc? I have no idea how long it takes to film a 6-8 episode BBC series however so speculation on my part. :)

Sucks because I felt that Jaime really came into his own (well, uh, as a different character, heh) in In the Loop.

4-6 months is quite common for a UK production schedule.

Capaldi has hinted that this may be the last we see of Malcolm come Christmas but Iannucci has noted that there will me more Thick of It in future (though his HBO series is his next priority). Some have speculated that this may mean Jamie takes over Malcolm's role and that's why they've left him out of the current series but we'll have to wait and see. Ratings have not been great for The Thick of It's return (by BBC2 standards) so the future may only be another series of specials.

The best British TV show is back! New episodes of Top Gear start up again on Sunday (November 15).

I can't wait. I am so in love with this show.

Amazons main gold box deal today is on Doctor who sets. Finally picked up season for for $33. I was not paying $60+ for it. Usually they are sub $40 right away, this one was not.

The HMVuk-Exclusive The Thick of It S1/Specials came today and it was actually surprising how nice it is! It's 4 discs in 2 cases in a nice matte box with glossy accents. An excellent way to spend 10 quid if you don't already have it!

I believe these are just the stock discs... but they did change the spines to match the box (from the looks of it) and the spines also feature no rating (it is on the box spine however).

photo-15.jpg

Wow, watching 'From Script to Screen' on the first DVD of the set... it's amazing how much improvisation goes into the show. They actually shoot all the scenes straight from the script, then shoot it again improvised... then edit the two together. Neat!

I never understood why The thick of It release was two discs. I know technically the first three episodes are 'series 1' and the last three 'series 2' but there was just no need to make that a two-disc set. The specials probably could have been one disc too. I always hated the bad photoshop job for the series DVD cover... Any attempt from the BBC to avoid showing Chris Langaham...

I'm curious to see if we'll get a Blu-ray of the new series since it went HD.

I never understood why The thick of It release was two discs. I know technically the first three episodes are 'series 1' and the last three 'series 2' but there was just no need to make that a two-disc set. The specials probably could have been one disc too. I always hated the bad photoshop job for the series DVD cover... Any attempt from the BBC to avoid showing Chris Langaham...

I'm curious to see if we'll get a Blu-ray of the new series since it went HD.

I bet it'll come out on Blu... what I'm not betting on is the BD being region-free :P

It's a shame about Langaham, but he really REALLY did it to himself. Too bad because he's brilliant in the series. I think it's understandable to not put him on the cover, but there's other ways to go around it (like the art used on the box).

It might also be a reason it's not released stateside? Because they're ashamed that they hired a sex offender as the main actor in the series? Then again, 99.99999% of Americans (even ones who watch lots of British shows released stateside) have NO idea who Chris Langaham is and even fewer know about his conviction. I can't wrap my head around how there was a theatrical release of the series (In the Loop) released AND the DVD/BD of that film has been scheduled and not a peep about the series from BBC/Warner.

I think the BBC likes to make as much stuff as possible 2 discs so that they can slap that little red "2 DISC SET" logo on all their releases. Makes people think they're getting a better value.

Most BBC/2 Entertain discs are region free I think so if the new series does go Blu it should be ok. Good chance it might be 1080/50i, mind you which isn't too friendly on particular players (especially the US PS3 which hates 50hz anything). I can't recommend a region free modified Oppo enough.

It's a shame about Langaham, but he really REALLY did it to himself. Too bad because he's brilliant in the series. I think it's understandable to not put him on the cover, but there's other ways to go around it (like the art used on the box).

I'm bitter. I can't forgive the BBC for never releasing Help on DVD purely because Langham was in it. If you've never seen it see if you can find torrent or something as it's one of the best british shows of the past decade that hardly anyone saw. Langahm is great in it but it's really Paul Whitehouse's baby. It took so long for the Thick of It to hit DVD I almost thought they were going to pull the same stunt and never put it out either.

Did Disney leave Langham's muppet show episode in one of the season sets? I still need to collect those.

The best British TV show is back!

Indeed it is.

You all agree with my wife? She's very happy Waterloo Road is back.

It's looking like Torchwood will be continuing. They have been dropping hints the last week or so.

Sweet monkeys ... I almost forgot Top Gear starts tomorrow.

Do we know if it's HD yet... or is Clarkson still cockblocking that idea?

Jiminy Cricket! The latest Doctor Who special (The Waters of Mars) is also airing tomorrow.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY