LCVG
rustyjaw

The Headphones Thread

They are more expensive than Jay's suggestion, but I highly recommend Shure E2c in-ear headphones. They sound superb, second only to the Grados I use for music production. Shure is well-known among musicians for their earbuds (and microphones), which many use as audio monitors for performances.

The strange thing is that when I got mine, over a year ago, I found them for $80, but it looks like the price has gone up...maybe there's a place that still sells them for less.

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Sep 2 2004, 06:55 PM

No personal experience with them, but Etymotics are highly respected...right up there with Shure.

Here's a site that has a review and links to reviews of the Etymotics.

Yup I just came from that site Kain. :)

My only reservation for getting canal plugs is I'm not too sure I want to block out all outside noise since the majority of my bud listening is going to be while riding a bike. I'm thinking in terms of safety. However most of my riding is done at night and I dont ride on the street with traffic so I think I'm pretty safe. I'm very alert while I ride so I dont think I'll have any problems. Anyone have experience with this?

Originally posted by FreakTornado@Sep 2 2004, 08:37 PM

Ooh, I personally would not wear my Shure's on a bike, they really do block out most outside sound...but then I generally do ride on busy roads.

Nor would I recommend the Sony 71's for the same reason. Canal phones will block everything out. For walking around use, I've heard that the Shure/H-120 pairing is fantastic.

-j

Ehh I bagged the idea of canal phones and just ordered some Koss KSC-35 phones. I like the idea of them clipping over your ears for a good fit and they are supposed to sound great for the price. I figured at $30 I couldn't go wrong. :)

Since there was some talk of this above - if anyone is looking for Shure headphones Computers4sure.com have a great deal on the e2c and e3cs with free shipping

here

Originally posted by Zathras@Sep 10 2004, 12:35 PM

Since there was some talk of this above - if anyone is looking for Shure headphones Computers4sure.com have a great deal on the e2c and e3cs with free shipping

here

Wow, $66 for the E2c's is a great price!

I split these fellas off from the iRiver topic.

Anyone have experience with Grados? I was wondering about the SR60. I hear great things about Grados ('cept for their looks ;)), but the Headroom page on portable audio says that the 60's should be used for "gutless portable players" -- and I'm not sure what that means.

-j

I have Grady SR-60s. They make my ears hot due to the large pad and the direct pressure on the ear. They have a great warm sound, but the comfort factor keeps my from using them too much. If I bend the headband to reduce the pressure, they fall off. I guess I don't like supra-aural designs (except the the KSC-35 clips, which are great because there is no headband applying direct pressure).

For at-home listening, I use Sennheiser HD-580 (open) and Beyerdynamic DT-770 (closed) and am very happy with both.

I don't like canal phones as I sometimes have sinus/allergy issues and I feel better when my ears can 'breathe'.

I use Grados SR325's for audio production. Oddly enough, they are probably the most comfortable headphones that I use, I bent out the bar along the top so that they rest lightly on my ears and that works great. They do not fit tightly then, and if you swing your head around you can get them to fall off, but in general I'm not running around when listening to them, so they work. (one thing to note is that recently Grado changed the pads they use on their headphones so a softer material, I haven't had experience with it, but if you buy a new pair you will get the new material).

They are not in the same price range as what you are looking for, but they are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. The detail is remarkable, I routinely hear things in the Grados that I don't hear on anything else.

Just to be more contrarian to michael, I dislike Sennheisers a lot. I bought a pair several years ago after briefly listening to them in the store and had to return them a week later because they seemed to accentuate the upper vocal frequency range so much that it hurt if I set the volume so everything else sounded right. Then just 2 years ago, I was in the market and thought maybe my experience with Senns was an aberration, so I auditioned 3 more pairs and each one had the same problem in varying degrees...that's when I found Grados. It's very possible that this problem is due to some weird response in my hearing, but I've never experienced it with other headphones.

One thing to keep in mind about Grados is that they are very transparent to outside sound, everything gets in. I would not recommend using them outdoors unless you don't mind that.

If you're looking for something for casual listening that will block out sound, I can recommend the Denon AHD950's, they don't have the detail and clarity of Grado's, but they sound pleasing and have a nice (boosted) bass punch.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Sep 11 2004, 05:42 AM

I split these fellas off from the iRiver topic.

Anyone have experience with Grados? I was wondering about the SR60. I hear great things about Grados ('cept for their looks ;)), but the Headroom page on portable audio says that the 60's should be used for "gutless portable players" -- and I'm not sure what that means.

-j

The Grados 60's are great budget headphones, the only complaint I've heard from multiple friends who have tehm are that they can be uncomfortable over time.

What they mean by gutless is that the better headphones are too hard for the headphone "amp" in most portable electronics to drive. I've got a pair of AKG K501's that I absolutely love, but they are for in house listening only. The nomad series jukebox is often praised as having one of the best headphone sections of any of the portable jukeboxes and my 501's sound horrible with it. On the other ahnd, my Koss KSC 50's sound great, but it's a much easier load for the amp. The thing with Headroom is, while they sell headphones, tehy manufacture and sell headphone amps, so much of what tehy carry is geared towards coupling a great sounding high impedance headphone with an external amp. BTW, their amps do rock, I've had a chance to do some listening on several different models. Nice stuff.

I might look into those Shure's for around the house and at the gym listening with the jukebox. Half the reason I use the Koss is for the open design since most of my headphone listening is at work qhen teh other techs get to teh radio before me and put on the HORRID soft rock station we have here in town. Since I still need to be able to carry on conversations, it was the best compromise. Oh yea, I thought I'd hate those ear clips, but after about 3 days of use I found that i absolutely love them and since then have been getting my cell phone headsets with an around the ear clip as well.

Just to be more contrarian to michael, I dislike Sennheisers a lot. I bought a pair several years ago after briefly listening to them in the store and had to return them a week later because they seemed to accentuate the upper vocal frequency range so much that it hurt if I set the volume so everything else sounded right. Then just 2 years ago, I was in the market and thought maybe my experience with Senns was an aberration, so I auditioned 3 more pairs and each one had the same problem in varying degrees...that's when I found Grados. It's very possible that this problem is due to some weird response in my hearing, but I've never experienced it with other headphones.

The only Sennheisers that I think sound good are the HD580 and the HD600. The rest of their 'phones might as well have been made by a different company as far as I'm concerned.

I have two Headroom amps (Total AirHead and Little) and they are excellent.

The second time I looked at Senns, I did check out the 580s, not certain about the 600s, but it's likely given the price range I was in. I know of too many musicians that use Sennheisers and love them, so I don't think that they could be a seriously flawed product, but they simply don't work with my ears.

I've got a pair of the Grado SR60s - nice but they get hot after awhile as mentioned.

I've also got a pair of Sony D66 "eggos" from Japan and enjoy them a touch more than the Grados (but its really close).

I've built some of the CMOY altoid tin amplifiers and typically use that in line w/ my portables (that have a line out). It makes a world of difference. I'm looking for a good price on a Headroom Airhead amp so it will be an interesting comparison (going on a long trip and really don't want to attempt to bring a piece of DIY electronics on an airplane these days...).

I've got a pair of the Grado SR60s - nice but they get hot after awhile as mentioned.

This is odd, do yours have pads like these?:

grado-pads.jpg

I've never had a problem with warm ears, and I frequently use these for a few hours at a time.

At work I have a pair of Sony MDR-V700's and they hurt my ears after about an hour, so it's not that I have tough ears or anything.

My Koss KSC-35's came in today. Listening to them right now and they sound great for $30 phones! Very clean, crisp sounds and powerful bass. Oh and the way they fit on your ear...hardly notice they are there! I'm very impressed so far. Could very well be the best $30 I ever spend. :)

Got my Shure E2c's today (good timing arriving on the same day as my iRiver iHP-140) and the sound is superb. Not so sure (pun not intended) about the fit - guess I'm going to have to mess around with them some more to see what size sleeve and what material is most comfortable.