LCVG
rustyjaw

The Headphones Thread

19 hours ago, JFo said:

I use the dongle from Apple for my pair of C5 headphones at work. They're pretty much attached to the headphones at all times, so losing it isn’t a huge concern for me. I have an extra dongle for my other headphones at home, and it is a pain to figure out where to keep them. Usually, they’re in the pouch for my B&O H6s. So far, so good. Haven’t lost them yet.

Yeah, I suppose that's the answer really. I divide my headphone usage between iPad and PC/mac is all. At worst I guess I can just buy two dongles so there's always one in my bag. Bloody Apple. 

19 hours ago, JFo said:

Of course, there's always the option of going Bluetooth. 😬

Boo. No. :) 

On 8/19/2018 at 6:25 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Boo. No. :) 

FWIW, I have a pair of B&W P7 wireless headphones and they’re magnificent. If you’re hang up on Bluetooth is the audio quality, I wouldn’t sweat it. I think the format’s come a long way. 

I recently grabbed a set of AirPods and it’s incredible how intuitive and useful they are. I got them mostly for video work stuff and switching between devices more easily when I’m testing but, they actually sound decent so that’s good. The battery life has been good, they haven’t worked loose from my ears yet and are pretty stable in there and the mics are surprisingly good for calls (audio and video). Also, little stuff like auto pausing when you pull one out of your ear or auto switching to stereo when I insert a second AirPod is just brilliant. There are better headphones out there for music quality of course but, honestly these are just great for day to day use and the features are a real improvement for me versus others I’ve used.

Yeah I may consider a pair of those (2nd gen ones are apparently close to release). I honestly don't like the look of them as they look rather strange hanging from peoples ears, but they do seem to get good reviews. My fear would be losing them though, especially if I travelled (not even sure what the options are if you have Bluetooth earphones but want to watch something on a plane either). 

• Like 1

Having just returned from New York I can say that they travelled well. No issues using them on the plane after takeoff, just turned BT on on the iPad and they are set as soon as you open the carrying case. The case is also magnetic which I didn’t know - it’s pretty cool in that they won’t fall out at all, you have to pop them out. It was hot and I was walking a lot but despite that they never loosened in my ears so no complaints.

Agree on all points Dan. I'm waiting for the 2nd gen ones, but I could put them to good use. I hope the newer ones are shorter 😆

5 minutes ago, Magness said:

Having just returned from New York I can say that they travelled well. No issues using them on the plane after takeoff, just turned BT on on the iPad and they are set as soon as you open the carrying case. The case is also magnetic which I didn’t know - it’s pretty cool in that they won’t fall out at all, you have to pop them out. It was hot and I was walking a lot but despite that they never loosened in my ears so no complaints.

Using them on the plane wasn't so much my concern with other Apple products. You're just stuck if you want to watch any in flight seat back entertainment with wireless headphones. I know some dongles exist to plug into 3.5mm jacks  but guhh... another thing to buy and to pack or forget to pack. 

5 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I hope the newer ones are shorter 😆

Right! It's the long stems. They just look so damn strange to me. I understand they have to function as microphones, but still....

• Like 1

If I ever replace my P3 and C5 models with Bluetooth, it would have to be the PX. Can’t be going with someone other than B&W. 

I know exactly how he feels. So many options. So many uses. Movie listening is awesome. Music is great. The 3D and head tracking rocks.

Had these for almost two weeks and I've barely scratched this surface testing these out.

My beloved Klipsch X10 sound isolating headphones are going out after 8 years of daily use. 

My big ears just can't abide cans, so 

any thoughts on the latest, greatest sound isolating headphones? This means they actually go in your ear-canal a bit. Similar to how earplugs fit in. 

Carlos. 

21 hours ago, Carlucci said:

My beloved Klipsch X10 sound isolating headphones are going out after 8 years of daily use. 

any thoughts on the latest, greatest sound isolating headphones? This means they actually go in your ear-canal a bit. Similar to how earplugs fit in. 

I've been using the B&W C5 headphones for many years now (both the originals and Series 2 models) , and I've been a big fan of the way they sound. I hesitate to recommend them though because I've had a number of reliability issues with them over the years. Basically, one of the ear pieces stops working and the whole unit has to be replaced. My guess is that wires get pinched while they are in their case and break over time. Since the cables are not detatchable from the ear pieces, you have no choice but to get a new pair. Knowing you, Carlos, I don't think you would put up with that kind of bullshit.

That said, if I were in the market for a new pair of in-ear headphones, I would probably look at these: Creative Aurvana Trio. I have not heard them yet, but reviews have been pretty positive overall. I figure they're at least worth checking out at some point in case my current pair of B&W C5s fail on me. 

1 hour ago, Camp said:

Chinese IEMs have really exploded.

Interesting choice of words for something that goes in your ears ;)

• Haha 2

On 3/4/2019 at 5:03 PM, Carlucci said:

Carlos. 

I've been using the x20i for a couple years now and I love them, especially if you liked the x10i. The dual-driver design results in some great sound. They're a couple years old now and can be had at significant discount from what I'm seeing.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:55 AM, jubjub75 said:

Interesting choice of words for something that goes in your ears ;)

They don't actually explode; they're just really loud.

I'm going to try out the Creative Aurvana Trio.  Thanks for all the recommendations, gents.  They should arrive tomorrow.  

Carlos.

• Like 1