LCVG
Romier S

Saying goodbye to a longtime friend - Covak

I wish to god I was posting better news this afternoon but unfortunately that is not the case. A real life friend of one of our longtime members PM'd me today to let me know that Covak passed away on Saturday October 10th. No details are known as to the cause of his death but I wanted to make an announcement and have a place where we could remember his online exploits and the times a good group of us shared with him on Xbox Live and beyond.

I think that it stands to reason that every one of us will remember how utterly and completely he thrashed us online playing Call of Duty 4, Forza or any number of XBLA games where you felt like you were trying to ice skate up hill to reach his top score. I remember trying to catch up back in the day when Geometry Wars was first released and just giving up as every other day I logged in it seemed the metric had been pushed higher!

I know some of you met him outside of the forum and I know some of you became great friends online. I hope all of you join in in saying goodbye to James, sharing your stories and wishing his friends and family condolences and hope in a difficult time.

Edited by Romier S

Oh man...that is terrible. Didn't know him IRL but... really, really sad to hear it! Strange that you mentioned Geometry Wars, I have still been gunning for a lot of his scores on GW2.

Best wishes to his family and RL friends...

I was shocked to hear this a little while ago. In the early days of the forum, James was one of the people I played on live with the most. We were Rainbow Six Clan teammates, and always had a blast playing and practicing almost every night. Most of the time for hours at a time. Not just playing the game, but talking about stuff going on, our interests, etc. He will be missed not just because of the gaming, but because he was a good person. My sympathies go out to his family.

Wow shocked beyond belief... You were truly a good friend on live during the few times you kicked my ass online.. So very sad to see him go..wish i had more to say but im just like the rest of you guys, stunned. Covak you left us to early.. Thank you for being who you were.. And for being part of our online family.

To say I am shocked hear this news would be a huge understatement. Covak was one of my longest online buddies. We hung out in the same IRC channel starting in the mid-90s where we were both big into the multiplayer scenes for Outlaws and Interstate '76. In the Xbox era I played lots of Rainbow Six 3 and Splinter Cell with him.

Covak was the one guy you always wanted on your team. He was always friendly but competitive and not one to trash talk (above some friendly ribbing). Even though he was fantastic at pretty much every game he played, he was always patient with less experienced players, and would give them tips to help them improve.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Covak was one of the first guys from the forum I remember playing with online back on the original XBOX along with PoisonJam, CaptDS9E, and FutureVoid (those were the big constants) on MechAssault... back when MechAssault was one of the only things that was ON xbox live.

I really feel like I went through college with the guy because most nights I would play on live, he'd be there.

Such a fucking shame. And he was only 30.

Wow. RIP :(

I recall chasing his score in GW, and most recently GW2. I've played online with him a number of times and was always amazed how good of a gamer he was, whether it was FPS, racing/driving sim, GH, or shoot-em ups, he was always at the top of the leaderboards.

Covak is one of the names that jumps to mind when I think about the LCVG community. I compared his reflexes and spatial awareness to the best professional athletes. I've always been curious if he was a genius (seriously) or an amazing athlete in his day.

This is a strange thing to ask at this point, but what happens to his scores when his live account lapses. I almost want to ask Microsoft to leave his name in there if that is possible.

This is a strange thing to ask at this point, but what happens to his scores when his live account lapses.

Not a thing. They'll persist in the database. His account will turn to Silver & stay active for years.

A couple of years ago, I got to hang out with Covak at GDC, show him around the LucasArts/ILM campus & buy him lunch. Good guy.

I recall chasing his score in GW, and most recently GW2. I've played online with him a number of times and was always amazed how good of a gamer he was, whether it was FPS, racing/driving sim, GH, or shoot-em ups, he was always at the top of the leaderboards.

When Bomberman first came out on XBL I got into a game with Covak and I thought stupidly to myself 'well at least I'll have a chance in *this* one.' No such luck - the guy was just on a completely different gaming level.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Damn man, I'm really sorry to hear this. He was always such a greatly skilled gamer. I remember him helping me out on the rather difficult online Splinter Cell. Was amazed at how he just always knew the right thing to do, and the skills to pull it off.

Does anyone know how old he was? Tragic nonetheless. :(

Times like these drive home the point of how short our time here really is.

I've often wished I could meet many of you long time forum members, in person. Even just for a beer or a coffee. :( We have such a cool community here.

the guy was just on a completely different gaming level.

Ain't that the truth. He was always at the top of the leaderboards, doesn't matter what type of game it was.

During the Rainbow 6 days and Graw, I may not know where I was getting shot from, but more often than not, it was by Covak. I even had a Seinfeld type moment where I would say "Covak!" with my teeth clenched and my fist in the air, similar to how Jerry greets Newman.

Oh wow.This news just sucks. Covak was easily one of the best gamers I've ever played with/against - and he didn't rub it in,either.I'm gonna miss him.

Thoughts & prayers to his family & friends...

Numb.

Well put!

It's crazy, James was as much of an icon as we have here on LCVG. Everyone knows of him and how amazing he was at our hobby.

If asked if we could be another forum member for a day, I bet nearly everyone would answer 'Covak,' if simply to understand how truly fantastic his skills were.

I would hope if any other information becomes available regarding James that it would make it's way to this thread. It would be nice if somehow the forum as a whole could make a gesture to his family, if only to allow them to know we are his friends and our thoughts are with them.

It would be nice if somehow the forum as a whole could make a gesture to his family, if only to allow them to know we are his friends and our thoughts are with them.

Yes agreed..

WOW...I'm in shock..didn't game with him much but did have a few rounds of COD4 where he kicked my ass each and every time. He was such a presence around here and will be deeply missed..

Here is the obituary from the Toronto Star In case anyone wants to read it.

Obituary

It would be nice if somehow the forum as a whole could make a gesture to his family, if only to allow them to know we are his friends and our thoughts are with them.

Chasing that up.