LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010 has started today for me. Really put on the pounds since summer. Back to the diet, exercise, and no more junk food. *sob* :D

Yeah, I took the family to Disney in October and opted for a full-service dining plan. That week of serious overeating led to a downward spiral for me in the ensuing two months that undid months of work and diligence by packing probably as much as a dozen extra pounds back on. But now the Christmas cookies are finally gone, the celebrations are over, the nog is drunk, and it's time to get back to work.

Despite a bunch of setbacks, I somehow managed to finish 2009 3 pounds lighter than I started.

- Injuries galore. In March, a badly strained tibular tendon. In September, a stress fracture of my tibia. Bad shin splints. Back spasms. My orthopedic guy finally recommended that I get rid of my Rx shoe orthotics and start over. It made an immediate difference for the better without them.

- I did the disney dining plan in July, and yes it is a killer.

I'm still +15 from my all time low, so I've got some work to do this year.

Carlos.

I've gotten into a lot of outdoor sports lately and packing these extra pounds is preventing me from enjoying them more. I need to drop 50lbs. That's my goal this year.

I've been at a maintenance weight the last year, so I think it's time to turn it up and go for the six-pack. Looks like it'll be around 10-15 pounds for me.

Suggestion:

http://dailyburn.com/

We can sign up there to track -- and track us as a group.

I created the group, just sign up and join the group titled LCVG Drop A Ton Challenge. My handle there is robotmonkey.

Let me emphasize this: Use DailyBurn.com only to the extent that you want to! If the nutrition tracking looks like a bitch or you have your own system of tracking workouts, don't use the website.

Let's just agree to check in our weight once a week. Go ahead and do more if you wanna.

Oh, and they have some kind of free iPhone app that scans food barcodes or something if you want to check that out.

Sound good?

I have zero idea. I signed up at sparkpeople and it seemed harder to use. If you're telling me it's easy to use and we can create a group, I'll head over there.

I'm in. Carlucci. I had been using The Daily Plate (now part of Livestrong), but never made it a steady habit. I'll try hard to keep up with DailyBurn.

Carlos.

I lost 22 pounds last year. Going to lose a lot more this year.

Wow Kelley thats awesome.

I had surgery on Dec 10th so havent been able to work out so really have to watch my diet.

Have been paying close attention to sodium content in foods as to not put on water weight.

Any food with a shelf life is usually not good for you. Look at a can of Chunky soup. Calories not so bad. Sodium is through the roof!

Anyone that likes a few glasses of wine after work, to supplement I usually have a glass of wine and another diet beverage right next to it so I dont overdue extra calories with the vino.

Okay, I played around with both a little more and I honestly can't tell which is better. Sparkpeople is totally free and has meal plans. Dailyburn has free iphone and google apps and appears cleaner in design.

I'll go with the majority on this. Don't screw me over again, majority! You were dead wrong about Arrested Development, Two and a Half Men and Idiocracy.

I really like the fact that Daily burn has an app for that. Meal plans are meh in my book.

I'll follow where you lead. Baaah.

Carlos.

Both sites look pretty comparable. Apps are not a factor for me, so like Carlos I will go with the majority. I like the look and feel of dailyburn better but if Dave already has a history with spark I have no problem using that...for me it will really be more of a check-in site than a planning and tracking site.

Daily Burn is fine with me if you guys prefer it. I just created an account. BTW, Sparkpeople has an app too but I like the additional app that Daily burn has, it is a food scanner app that integrates with the free Daily Burn app. Not that i should be eating too many foods with bar codes, but it sure makes it easier to track nutrition when your grabbing a granola bar or some other prepackaged food.

Edited by Dave C

Out of curiosity only, since I will likely never own a smartphone, how do you do the scanning with a cell phone? Is there a bar-code-reader adapter that you can plug into your phone?

It uses the camera. Trying the food scanner app now....

HFS that works great and is FAST! I didn't even have to snap the pic. it opens up my camera, and as soon as I get the bar code in the window by moving the object closer/farther, it beeped and next thing I know it found it. I did a bottle of coke zero for my test.

That is pretty awesome.

Carlos.

All right then, we'll use dailyburn.com. Join the group LCVG Drop A Ton Challenge.

Carlos already joined the group; I look forward to seeing more of you there. Try to use your lcvg handle so we know who's who.