LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Eggs will be a good source of vitamin D, but if you also like fish I'd recommend things like salmon and canned tuna (which are also great protein and healthy fat sources).

I think experimenting with what works for you personally is the only way to go about things. Other people's stories, online advice...etc, can help, but differing lifestyles clearly play a major part in what might work well for one person, but not necessarily another. It's not rocket science to understand the principals of a caloric deficit (just work out your TDEE, accept that there's a margin of error in the numbers you get back, and you're good to go so long as you remember your TDEE will change week on week as you lose or gain weight). I REALLY do think apps like myfitnesspal are great too as they will help you get a sense of portion sizes, so later down the line you'll just know what you need by sight rather than having to weigh daily and keep a 24/7 log. 

On the carb front, I wouldn't cut them out entirely. 1) Because I bloody like carbs, and 2) because I like to have the balance and have them for energy and strength building. When I say carbs I of course mean so called complex carbs like brown pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and I love Ezekiel bread. I'd also never deny myself a pizza, some ice cream, a good slice of cake or bar of milk chocolate every now and again if I ever wanted one either, damn it (but on the chocolate front my go to is usually 85%+ cocoa based chocolate as, again, I like it, and it also has some healthy qualities). I really don't think anyone needs to cut anything entirely from what they eat unless they have allergies or intolerances. Sweet treats need only be moderated, not avoided entirely. Why deny oneself the occasional pleasure I say.  

More than anything, if I felt compelled to tell someone to monitor just one thing closely it would be how much sugar they consume. I will, not every day, have about 130ml of fresh orange juice, but thankfully never being much of an alcohol person I'm not one to tire of drinking water all the time, and that's my main source of fluid. I might have a black coffee or a green tea every now and again, but rarely feel the desire. My main sources of sugar will primarily be natural sugars via fruits (I regularly eat bananas, apples, raspberries and blueberries. I love dipping apple slices into peanut butter, and I'll typically mix raspberries and blueberries in with 100g of greek yogurt with some ground cinnamon and chia seeds sprinkled on top). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd also never deny myself a pizza, some ice cream, a good slice of cake or bar of milk chocolate every now and again if I ever wanted one either, damn it

You and I seem to be aligned with behaviors and philosophy on this stuff.

My secret to success the last couple of years is that my ROUTINE works FOR my health instead of AGAINST it.   My weekday routine is boring and rote.  No junk food.  Limited carbs.  Reasonable portions.  Only healthy snacks.  

But if given an excuse to party for a "special" occasion, I will do so.  Ice cream.  Chocolate.  Pizza.  And my special occasion might just be "It's Friday night, WOO HOOO!"  And that's fine.    So long as I have the discipline to return to my healthy routine.  And I have.  And I do.

That's it.  Routine.  Discipline.  Of course you need to apply your routine and discipline to an informed dietary approach.  But as you say, the rules of thumb are pretty well known at this point.

• Like 1

I'm in the midst of researching how best to start gaining muscle mass while losing the last 5-6 pounds of fat that I want off me as I do seem to be hitting the "skinny fat" stage of things. It's probably about time to lift a lot heavier than I have been to kick that into gear, but on the food side I need to read up more as obviously you have to eat more to help gain the mass in the first place. It's possible I need to cycle between a deficit and surplus calorie wise. It's difficult trying to navigate through the swamp of insufferable bro science bollocks to find something scientifically sound. 

2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm in the midst of researching how best to start gaining muscle mass while losing the last 5-6 pounds of fat that I want off me as I do seem to be hitting the "skinny fat" stage of things. It's probably about time to lift a lot heavier than I have been to kick that into gear, but on the food side I need to read up more as obviously you have to eat more to help gain the mass in the first place. It's possible I need to cycle between a deficit and surplus calorie wise. It's difficult trying to navigate through the swamp of insufferable bro science bollocks to find something scientifically sound. 

From my personal experience, you will need to cycle. It's hard to say which one to do first, but I think a deficit/cut would probably be good to start as long as you aren't close to 75kg. You will still see gains in lifting even on a deficit. I'd do that for 12 weeks and track weight every day but only look at it on a weekly average. I'd do something like 5x5 or Starting Strength and focus on compound lifts like Deadlifts, Squats, and Bench Press only and skip almost all of the accessory work. Only lift 3 days a week and add in brisk walking on off days. 

I'm sure you know a lot of this already but just posting for comprehensiveness.

I'm about to start a cut/deficit again next week and will go on it at least until Halloween, my guess is I will probably push it to Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's about what I've been doing. I've been lifting on a deficit regularly for about two months, though took a break for a few weeks as I pulled a muscle a few weeks back (moving furniture!) so needed to let that fix itself with some rest and I've been decorating so not had much space to do regular workouts, but am easing back into it. I was sticking to three days a week as well and plan to continue with that, primarily deadlifting though as poor dorsiflexion in my right heel and calf makes maintaining good form when squatting difficult, and I don't have the space for a rack anyway (or a bench sadly, so I have to do sets of explosive push ups instead) . Really those two months were focusing on form, tone and strength gaining rather than mass building, and I was certainly getting results in that regard, so my thinking is to maybe spend another month losing another 4lbs or so, then fuelling with a surplus in mind. I don't mind repetition of foods so am still considering meal prep to help get the macros right. 

• Like 1

I'm Asian.  I can't go without rice.  But I've made the adjustment to brown rice (love it anyways so it was easy).  So I can't cut out carbs completely either.

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

Brown rice is yummy. Do you cook rice with a rice cooker? I've been toying with getting one. 

I do.  To be honest, I'd almost go with the simpler, the better.  I'd go to an Asian grocery store and buy a simple model.  Most households I've seen use some complicated thingamajig, and it always drives me nuts because those things require a long time to take apart and thoroughly clean.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 9:39 AM, Angry the Clown said:

More than anything, if I felt compelled to tell someone to monitor just one thing closely it would be how much sugar they consume. I will, not every day, have about 130ml of fresh orange juice, but thankfully never being much of an alcohol person I'm not one to tire of drinking water all the time, and that's my main source of fluid. I might have a black coffee or a green tea every now and again, but rarely feel the desire. My main sources of sugar will primarily be natural sugars via fruits (I regularly eat bananas, apples, raspberries and blueberries. I love dipping apple slices into peanut butter, and I'll typically mix raspberries and blueberries in with 100g of greek yogurt with some ground cinnamon and chia seeds sprinkled on top). 

This so much. Start reading food labels and you'll see that they put sugar in virtually everything. It's maddening.

Also re: rice cookers: Like Mark, I too have a Zojirushi and it's great. Super easy to clean, too.

As for me, I stopped lifting heavy. Too many injuries. I'm now focused on martial arts 2x a week which involves a lot of yoga-like exercises for the first 1/3 of class, riding 2-3 times a week (or cardio at the gym), and body-weight exercises. At 47, I think lifting heavy is just done for me. I spent the last 3 years fighting injuries and decided it's just not worth the constant pain or random flair ups of other issues.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Josh said:

As for me, I stopped lifting heavy. Too many injuries. I'm now focused on martial arts 2x a week which involves a lot of yoga-like exercises for the first 1/3 of class, riding 2-3 times a week (or cardio at the gym), and body-weight exercises. At 47, I think lifting heavy is just done for me. I spent the last 3 years fighting injuries and decided it's just not worth the constant pain or random flair ups of other issues.

I'm fully with you on this, I'm not quite as far along age-wise, but I'm not far off either.   I have still been doing a lot of biking, but I can only really do it a little over half the year because of the weather and I detest riding indoors/stationary.  I tried yoga for the first time in January during the dregs of winter and it immediately clicked (I was also lucky to stumble into a great studio/teachers), I have now been doing pretty intensive classes on average of four times a week.  It has throughly changed my body (and my life in certain ways, dealing with any anxiety or rough periods).  My back soreness/any body stiffness is virtually gone, my strength is way up, and I can break into a full sprint without feeling like the wheels are about to fall off.  Every muscle in my legs looks like it was carved out of wood and my top half is slowly getting there (my legs had a head start with the biking!), and all of this in about 7 months.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, secretvampire said:

I'm fully with you on this, I'm not quite as far along age-wise, but I'm not far off either.   I have still been doing a lot of biking, but I can only really do it a little over half the year because of the weather and I detest riding indoors/stationary.  I tried yoga for the first time in January during the dregs of winter and it immediately clicked (I was also lucky to stumble into a great studio/teachers), I have now been doing pretty intensive classes on average of four times a week.  It has throughly changed my body (and my life in certain ways, dealing with any anxiety or rough periods).  My back soreness/any body stiffness is virtually gone, my strength is way up, and I can break into a full sprint without feeling like the wheels are about to fall off.  Every muscle in my legs looks like it was carved out of wood and my top half is slowly getting there (my legs had a head start with the biking!), and all of this in about 7 months.

What kind of yoga? There are dozens of studios around here. I refuse to do hot yoga.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

What kind of yoga? There are dozens of studios around here. I refuse to do hot yoga.

As you should, because hot yoga is hot garbage.  Even if I wanted to, I couldn't...my body seems to generate an enormous amount of heat, by the end of my classes I'm generally soaked through and dripping with sweat, even though the studio is a normal 75 degrees or so, and I am the outlier in my classes in the respect.  I originally thought it was because I was a beginner when I started out, but nothing has changed even though I've improved my strength and flexibility dramatically, it's just the way my body is apparently.

I do vinyasa flow.  It's different every time which keeps it interesting.  It can be structured to move at a faster or slower pace, each has its own set of challenges.  You will repeat plenty of common poses, but good instructors find different ways to string them together and there are always new poses that will get thrown in.  There are endless modifications that can be made on your own as well (and good instructors will point them out as you go), allowing you to follow along easily as a complete beginner and ramp up the challenge as you become stronger and learn the finer points of the poses.  

• Epic Post 1

21 hours ago, secretvampire said:

As you should, because hot yoga is hot garbage.  Even if I wanted to, I couldn't...my body seems to generate an enormous amount of heat, by the end of my classes I'm generally soaked through and dripping with sweat, even though the studio is a normal 75 degrees or so, and I am the outlier in my classes in the respect.  I originally thought it was because I was a beginner when I started out, but nothing has changed even though I've improved my strength and flexibility dramatically, it's just the way my body is apparently.

I do vinyasa flow.  It's different every time which keeps it interesting.  It can be structured to move at a faster or slower pace, each has its own set of challenges.  You will repeat plenty of common poses, but good instructors find different ways to string them together and there are always new poses that will get thrown in.  There are endless modifications that can be made on your own as well (and good instructors will point them out as you go), allowing you to follow along easily as a complete beginner and ramp up the challenge as you become stronger and learn the finer points of the poses.  

Thanks - it seems there is so much hot yoga around here. Not sure why, or if it's because it's trendy right now. I've heard good things about Vinyasa flow, and have experimented with Ashtanga in the past. Most of the studios offer a chance to come check things out, which I'll do.

19 hours ago, Josh said:

Thanks - it seems there is so much hot yoga around here. Not sure why, or if it's because it's trendy right now. I've heard good things about Vinyasa flow, and have experimented with Ashtanga in the past. Most of the studios offer a chance to come check things out, which I'll do.

My opinion on hot yoga popularity, two reasons.  One, they feel like they get more flexibility from the heat, which is kind of true.  But it's also kind of "cheating" for lack of a better term, you aren't usually in a 90-100 degree environment the rest of your life and I would worry about overextending, the whole point is to build heat internally anyway as you work.  Two, they feel like they are working harder because they are sweating their balls off, which again, I don't need any help with.  I went with a friend to a class at her studio while visiting a different city which (unknowingly until I got there) was a hot class.  80 people in a room with the heater blasting probably about 90+ degrees.  About 2/3rds of the way through the hour of what was, admittedly, a difficult flow pattern anyway, I started feeling the beginnings of heat stroke.  Although I made it through taking a couple of breaks, I felt off for a couple of hours afterwards.  The heat basically sapped my ability to keep up at a certain point, I just don't get it.  

Anyway, the owner of my studio has tried to get me to come in for Ashtanga sessions which I would like to do, but I haven't been able to fit it into my schedule.  It is more structured than Vinyasa (a fixed flow pattern) but it shares many of the same poses and technique of moving with your breath.  

https://yogasix.com/difference-vinyasa-ashtanga-yoga/

Vinyasa scratches my itch because of the variety, incorporation of music, etc.  But yes, tons of studios offer a discounted all-you-can-eat plan for your first month which is a great way to go in and try a bunch of different styles to find what works for you.

• Like 1

Lost all the holiday weight, and then some!  Hit my lowest since I started trying to lose the weight almost 2 years ago.  Funny thing is, I don't feel lighter than I have in the past at a slightly higher weight.  Onward.  Want to lost at least another 17 pounds!  

• Like 2

On 7/30/2018 at 10:29 AM, secretvampire said:

My opinion on hot yoga popularity, two reasons.  One, they feel like they get more flexibility from the heat, which is kind of true.  But it's also kind of "cheating" for lack of a better term, you aren't usually in a 90-100 degree environment the rest of your life and I would worry about overextending, the whole point is to build heat internally anyway as you work.  Two, they feel like they are working harder because they are sweating their balls off, which again, I don't need any help with.  I went with a friend to a class at her studio while visiting a different city which (unknowingly until I got there) was a hot class.  80 people in a room with the heater blasting probably about 90+ degrees.  About 2/3rds of the way through the hour of what was, admittedly, a difficult flow pattern anyway, I started feeling the beginnings of heat stroke.  Although I made it through taking a couple of breaks, I felt off for a couple of hours afterwards.  The heat basically sapped my ability to keep up at a certain point, I just don't get it.  

Anyway, the owner of my studio has tried to get me to come in for Ashtanga sessions which I would like to do, but I haven't been able to fit it into my schedule.  It is more structured than Vinyasa (a fixed flow pattern) but it shares many of the same poses and technique of moving with your breath.  

https://yogasix.com/difference-vinyasa-ashtanga-yoga/

Vinyasa scratches my itch because of the variety, incorporation of music, etc.  But yes, tons of studios offer a discounted all-you-can-eat plan for your first month which is a great way to go in and try a bunch of different styles to find what works for you.

Yeah, "hey look, I'm sweating, i did a really hard workout."  The future of hot yoga is a room full of morbidly obese people sleeping on a floor in a hot room.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I always find it funny when hot bodies like Wolverine were obtained while consuming 10 million calories a day.  "God, I'm tired of eating so much to obtain these big muscles and hot body."  Seems non-intuitive.

I hadn't posted in this thread much over time, I think mainly because there's a lot of runners in here. I gave running a shot a few years ago, one of the first things I did was couch to 5k to get ready for a local event. It's fine, but it's just not my choice of exercise at all. I've always been drawn to weight lifting in some way, not only for the actual process of lifting, progression, etc, but also just looking better and the aesthetic you can get by putting some muscle on. Celebrities getting in shape for roles for movies inspire me. I remember examples like when Ryan Reynolds got in shape for Blade and wondering "how I could do that"?

I've fucked around with all of this for a while, but in the last couple of years I've been satisfied with my progress and hit some goals for myself. I think the biggest difference is I hired a trainer I'd followed online for a long time, and just having someone looking over my shoulder helped my confidence that I was "doing it right" where I wasn't second guessing everything. I also think I have much better idea of what I can handle calorically and basically figuring out food. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:46 AM, Starhawk said:

I'm about to start a cut/deficit again next week and will go on it at least until Halloween, my guess is I will probably push it to Thanksgiving.

Here are some progress pictures. The first is a graph of my most recent cut I mentioned in the quote above.

The second is a before picture from several years ago right before I got into lifting. I'd lifted sporadically in the past, but been away from it enough there's nothing to show for it in that pic. Third is where I was on my own in 2016. All of the after pics are around Thanksgiving last year. 

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-5JzwpN/

Maybe we can get some more weight lifters up in here.

I'm on a caloric surplus right now so I've lost some of that leanness, but the goal is to put more muscle on. I will probably do a caloric deficit again mid March. Right now I am enjoying the extra food. Cereal seems to be my go to add-on.🥣

• Epic Post 3

Went for my dr. appointment last week.  He was very impressed with my continuing weight loss and said I don't have to go back for another year!  Booyah!  Now I have to keep losing, because I told him my ultimate goal.  Dummy.  Heh.

• Like 4

On 1/16/2019 at 3:57 PM, Starhawk said:

I hadn't posted in this thread much over time, I think mainly because there's a lot of runners in here. I gave running a shot a few years ago, one of the first things I did was couch to 5k to get ready for a local event. It's fine, but it's just not my choice of exercise at all. I've always been drawn to weight lifting in some way, not only for the actual process of lifting, progression, etc, but also just looking better and the aesthetic you can get by putting some muscle on. Celebrities getting in shape for roles for movies inspire me. I remember examples like when Ryan Reynolds got in shape for Blade and wondering "how I could do that"?

I've fucked around with all of this for a while, but in the last couple of years I've been satisfied with my progress and hit some goals for myself. I think the biggest difference is I hired a trainer I'd followed online for a long time, and just having someone looking over my shoulder helped my confidence that I was "doing it right" where I wasn't second guessing everything. I also think I have much better idea of what I can handle calorically and basically figuring out food. 

Haven’t checked this thread in ages. That’s sensational stuff there, Cam. Wish I could get there but motivation has faded over the last several months and not sure how to get it back. A trainer would be a godsend as I think as I can absolutely recognise the value there of having a guide but it remains beyond what I can afford sadly (likewise a gym membership).

• Like 1

Another thing that I didn't mention before that I think has helped a lot is that I workout with a partner. That social commitment to be on time for them really helps eliminate the "I don't feel like it today, I'll just skip" excuses.

The trainer I had was putting together the whole plan, but he was literally physically closer to you than me, and he was only looking at my weekly results via my reporting back to him. So my workout partner was more the key in this regard. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, Starhawk said:

Here are some progress pictures. The first is a graph of my most recent cut I mentioned in the quote above.

The second is a before picture from several years ago right before I got into lifting. I'd lifted sporadically in the past, but been away from it enough there's nothing to show for it in that pic. Third is where I was on my own in 2016. All of the after pics are around Thanksgiving last year. 

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-5JzwpN/

Maybe we can get some more weight lifters up in here.

I'm on a caloric surplus right now so I've lost some of that leanness, but the goal is to put more muscle on. I will probably do a caloric deficit again mid March. Right now I am enjoying the extra food. Cereal seems to be my go to add-on.🥣

You motherfucker.  I've fantasized about accomplishing what you did there.  I workout regularly and am fairly lean, but jesus, you make me look like a weak, fat, piece of shit and I was actually proud of my body state.  I wish I never read your post, because then I could sleep at night and I wouldn’t have to walk around with the knowledge there was someone like you out there.

• Epic Post 2