LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Thank you for the kind words, Keith 😄

If you really are looking to make some new goals, just know that it is doable for sure. Edit: I say this because I second guessed a lot of stuff earlier on and wasted time. 

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

If you really are looking to make some new goals, just know that it is doable for sure. 

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Haha 1

I also meant that sincerely since I felt like I spun my wheels for so long, but then after actually being satisfied with some of the results I realized it was just figuring out a formula that works and sticking to it. Hiring someone to just tell me what to do helped because I knew I was "doing it right" instead of second guessing every little thing. 

It’s frustrating. I can’t be far from where you started looking at your pics as I have 4-5lbs that refuses to budge on my stomach. I actually gained a few of those back since October, which actually filled me out better to some extent as before I was falling into the awkward looking “skinny-fat” territory as seems to be the fitness bro terminology, so I look healthier having put on some lbs again but obviously those lbs came from comfort eating and not muscle mass so it’s not something I’m celebrating.

As I’ve written before, it certainly helps that I have never smoked and don’t care for alcohol beyond the odd glass of wine, and I know I can eat healthily, but it’s getting the fitness regime right and boosting my metabolism that I just can’t seem to get right.

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

You motherfucker.  I've fantasized about accomplishing what you did there.  I workout regularly and am fairly lean, but jesus, you make me look like a weak, fat, piece of shit and I was actually proud of my body state.  I wish I never read your post, because then I could sleep at night and I wouldn’t have to walk around with the knowledge there was someone like you out there.

I'm disappointing that no one recognized my riffing on a particular quote from a particular movie...

@Angry the Clown I felt like I was skinny-fat forever. Are you counting calories? If you can calculate you maintenance calories (body weight in kg x 28), subtract 500 calories from that, you should lose about a pound, or half a kilogram, a week. If you can also make half of those calories protein (making the other half fat/carbs of your liking), you would lose more. 

@foogledricks I did not catch that reference at all. Googling the last bit... Good Will Hunting?

• Like 1

Yeah I use MyFitnessPal which works well for me. Again the problem is, yes I need to shed those past few lbs of fat, but am probably better off trying to build muscle mass and boost my metabolism to help get those lbs off that way or else I just end up too skinny and odd looking again. The pickle is how I can do that on a gym-less budget.

I haven’t really run since the marathon last spring and sadly, mentally, I’ve had no real desire to get back into it despite the marathon going fine. I still walk a lot. Happily covered 15miles with the camera yesterday, but cardio isn’t going to help change my composition the way I want. I can deadlift and curl at home, but no room to bench or anything else. I also sleep terribly these days which isn’t going to help me either.

2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yeah I use MyFitnessPal which works well for me. Again the problem is, yes I need to shed those past few lbs of fat, but am probably better off trying to build muscle mass and boost my metabolism to help get those lbs off that way or else I just end up too skinny and odd looking again. The pickle is how I can do that on a gym-less budget.

Yeah it's either one or the other, but I think both are fine. You could go ahead and lean out now with the calorie deficit and then bump those calories back up to add muscle, or just add the muscle now, get a little fatter in the process and then lose that fat afterwards. 

Being gym-less for now I'd think the first option would be easier because I am 100% sure you could lose the weight you want with the caloric deficit and the walking you are doing. 

Totally understand. I feel like no matter how much willpower I have, the simple fact of being around tasty bad food is enough for me to cave and eat it. The best thing that works for me is to not create that situation. Just get it out of the house. 

• Like 1

I’m a happy healthy eater. That much I can say. I love my greens and veggies, brown rice, fish, chicken and plant based protein foods...etc, I just fall off the waggon every now and then. Not that my core diet changes, it’s just that I begin supplementing my clean meals with one too many treats.

Usually I find that if I can be strict for two weeks and resist the temptations of the most dangerous aisles of the supermarket the cravings go away for a very long time (until my next “relapse” so to speak). It’s been taking an unusually long time post-Christmas to snap out of it this time though. While I’ve never kept organic dark chocolate out of my diet I’ve been giving in to assorted milk chocolate treats, pastries and breads lately. I’m sure the UK hurtling ever nearer to self immolation has a lot to do with my troubled mind seeking out such comforts. 

I wonder if you could limit those to 1 cheat day per week to kill the cravings but keep the total amount I check. Use it as a reward and that way it’s not a forbiden “fruit”. You’d slowly ween yourself away from it as well. 

But i wouldn’t cut yourself short for being able to do it without a cheat day. If you can get home without it, the battle is won. 

34 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I wonder if you could limit those to 1 cheat day per week to kill the cravings but keep the total amount I check. Use it as a reward and that way it’s not a forbiden “fruit”. You’d slowly ween yourself away from it as well. 

But i wouldn’t cut yourself short for being able to do it without a cheat day. If you can get home without it, the battle is won. 

Honestly I know from experience that I can go months without any treats until special occasions. Typically dunking sliced apple into a bit of peanut or almond butter is a satisfying enough treat for me, that and dark chocolate, and both are healthy enough to have a few times a week as part of my regular diet anyway.

It’s honestly just a question of resistance until the temptation goes, but again high levels of stress are getting to me right now, but I’ll be trying to reset this weekend.

• Like 1

In about 2 weeks, starting on March 18th, I'm going to do another cut that will last about 12 weeks. I will lose about 10 pounds by the time it's over.

Who wants to do it with me?

I will calculate your calories for you so you'll know exactly what to do. You'd need to:

• Weigh yourself everyday and keep a log
  • Weigh your food so you know how many calories you are eating
  • The only exercising you would have to do is walk.

It'd be nice to have someone else keep me accountable as well.

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

In about 2 weeks, starting on March 18th, I'm going to do another cut that will last about 12 weeks. I will lose about 10 pounds by the time it's over.

Who wants to do it with me?

I will calculate your calories for you so you'll know exactly what to do. You'd need to:

• Weigh yourself everyday and keep a log
  • Weigh your food so you know how many calories you are eating
  • The only exercising you would have to do is walk.

It'd be nice to have someone else keep me accountable as well.

Ah sure why not. Could do with incentive to stop buying chocolate right now.

Do bear in mind there is a very real risk my country will have nothing but tinned food on store shelves in a matter of weeks. 

• Epic Post 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:36 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Ah sure why not. Could do with incentive to stop buying chocolate right now.

Do bear in mind there is a very real risk my country will have nothing but tinned food on store shelves in a matter of weeks. 

I'm getting ready to run my numbers to calculate calories if you are still game 👍

Either post here or PM me your weight (kg is fine) and height. I might have a few more questions after that. After that, I will either post or PM you the guidelines and we will get on this! 

The next 3 days are my last in a caloric surplus until I finish the 12 weeks. I'll be throwing away any cereal I have left over just in case 😄

• Like 1

Haha, good timing as I was expecting that you might be almost ready so I've stocked up on healthy foods today in preparation. Will do a weigh in tomorrow morning or tonight and PM you. 

• Like 1

Calories

Using me as an example here, at my current weight, it looks like my maintenance calories to remain the same weight is 2224kcal. We want to -500kcal from our maintenance to come up with our ideal intake for this plan. For me, that means my caloric intake is 1723kcal per day.

Exercise:

There will be some exercise each day, but it can be limited to brisk walking. You can do more if you want to.

I am going to be lifting weights 3 days a week on M-W-F and walking on my off days. So my schedule looks like this:

• Monday: Lifting
  • Tuesday: 30 min brisk walk
  • Wednesday: Lifting
  • Thursday: 30 min brisk walk
  • Friday: Lifting
  • Saturday: 60 min brisk walk
  • Sunday: 60 min brisk walk

That's it. 

You can replace the lifting with something else, and if you want to stick to walking, I think about a minimum of a 20 min brisk walk would equal the calories I'd be burning on the weight lifting

Modification:

You don't have to do this at all, but since I'm lifting, I'm going to adjust my caloric intake so a little more is on workout days and less on off days. The difference will be +/- 7.5%.

So my adjusted calories are:

Workout days: 1852kcal

Off days: 1593kcal

Macros:

If you want to do it, it's highly recommended to adjust your macros so 50-60% of your caloric intake is Protein. The reason for this protein will keep you more satiated on a caloric deficit, and you will lose more weight on this plan simply due to the thermic effect of protein. This is also more important if you were weight lifting because it helps muscle retention when on the deficit. You can fill in the rest with Carbs and Fat as you see fit.

So, an example for me would be:

60%: 258g Protein | 86g Carbs | 38g Fat

55%: 237g Protein | 97g Carbs | 43g Fat

50%: 215g Protein | 108g Carbs | 48g Fat

I'm going to shoot for 60%.

Food:

So how am I going to eat all that Protein? In the past year, it's been even easier since I discovered the Air Fryer. I bought one like this and I'm not exaggerating when I say this thing has changed my life. I can buy chicken breasts or chicken tenders, throw them in there with some spices, and they come out so exquisitely delicious. This appliance has made it much easier for me to cook things like sweet potatoes, steaks, fish as well.

My diet in general will pretty much be:

Protein sources:

Chicken (mainly)

Steak

Tuna

Salmon

Bacon

Eggs

Carbs:

Sweet Pototoes

Rice

Fruit (lots of Apples)

Spinach

Broccoli

Fat:

Mainly from fattier cuts like the steak, bacon, and salmon

Balsamic vinaigrette dressing

I don't really eat a lot of grains, but that's not to say you can't. 

Tracking:

You will need to weigh yourself at the same time every day, preferably first thing in the morning and keep a log. I like to use weightgrapher.com. Don't underestimate how hard it can be to remember to do this.

When you look at your weight, it's super important to not judge anything based off of that one day. Your weight might actually go *up* on some days. We'll really be looking at it on a 1 or 2 week basis and maybe making some adjustments, but only then. If we do the calculations correct and implement this right, we should see a weight loss of about 0.5kg-0.7kg a week.

It's also important to remember that the 12 weeks is not a goal. This is huge. What I mean is there is no pass or fail grade at the end of this. The 12 weeks is simply an arbitrary commitment we are making to do this. You will judge how you want to proceed after that. There is a high likelihood I will probably continue on for a few more week or so depending how what I think. 

Summary:

To really sum it up, it's just 1) eat you caloric intake and 2) do your walking. Done.

• Like 1

681763.jpg?b64lines=VVAgQU5EIEFUIERFTSE=

It'll be good just to have a nudge to get me back into the swing of weighing regularly and tracking my foods, really. I used to only weigh myself every Monday morning, but will certainly try doing it daily. I found creating a repeat reminder prompt on my phone to be useful so the prompt would be there when I woke up.

I should dust off myfitnesspal which I always found useful. It may take a week or so for me to balance out my macros once I know what foods I need more of to get them where you think I should get them.

I just need to get over a hill and cut out the comfort eating as generally my regular meal ingredient choices have not changed in years. I turn to fish (salmon, cod, tuna), tofu, quorn, plant based burgers, eggs and chicken/turkey as my protein sources. Carbs are typically boiled sweet potato and brown rice a few times a week (occasionally new/baby potatoes). Vegetables I typically favour carrots, kale, spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli (everything steamed), and I'll chop up a courgette (aka. zucchini) and some shiitake mushrooms with peppers and chopped pineapple slices if throwing together a stir fry.  

Healthy snacks I will turn to organic apples, often with a spoon of almond butter or peanut butter as a dip, raw almonds/mixed nuts and bananas. I bought some tiny little plastic containers recently that I can can hold cut up carrot sticks for me to snack on when I am out and about instead of my dropping into a store to grab a chocolate bar or something. I keep berries frozen in the freezer and will defrost them to have mixed with some 5% fat greek yogurt some mornings. 

If I do buy bread and I am not giving into the spur of the moment comfort of bagels and baguettes then I like the Ezekiel 9:5 high protein bread. I usually keep a loaf in the freezer and it will last me 2-3 weeks as I don't reach for a slice every day. I also have to buy that from an Organic store that imports it from the US so it's not cheap. I will give into to a wholemeal roll if making a plant based burger or whatever. 

Oils I cook with extra virgin olive oil and if cooking a stir fry I use groundnut oil. When I make a tuna salad or a chicken salad I will drizzle with some Apple Cider Vinegar., and a few splashes of low sodium soy sauce with a stir fry. 

My big problem is sleep, or lack of it. I find it very difficult to get to sleep on time and get enough hours, and I know how detrimental that is to both weight loss and muscle gain and suspect that is why I have always hit a roadblock once I hit a certain point of losing fat, and have never been able to rid myself of those remaining 5-10lbs. That's going to be the biggest challenge in the weeks ahead I fear. 

I drink only water. Every now and again I might have a green tea, but otherwise it's always water and at breakfast I will have a small glass of pomegranate juice.

It'll be good just to have a nudge to get me back into the swing of weighing regularly and tracking my foods, really. I used to only weigh myself every Monday morning, but will certainly try doing it daily. I found creating a repeat reminder prompt on my phone to be useful so the prompt would be there when I woke up.

Yeah there are days where I'd weigh myself and then not put it in the log or think I was going to remember to do it later, and then forgot what the weigh in was. 

I should dust off myfitnesspal which I always found useful. It may take a week or so for me to balance out my macros once I know what foods I need more of to get them where you think I should get them.

Everyone uses that one, but I've always taken to MyNetDiary. It's always been easier to log foods for me.

my regular meal ingredient choices have not changed in years

All of that sounds great.

My big problem is sleep, or lack of it. I find it very difficult to get to sleep on time and get enough hours, and I know how detrimental that is to both weight loss and muscle gain and suspect that is why I have always hit a roadblock once I hit a certain point of losing fat, and have never been able to rid myself of those remaining 5-10lbs. That's going to be the biggest challenge in the weeks ahead I fear. 

You and me both! Sometimes keeping a regular sleep schedule feels close to impossible for me and I self-sabotage this so much. I think I am generally tuned to be nocturnal and don't do well in the mornings. I've experimented with taking 1mg of melatonin about 2 hours before my target bedtime and it has helped a good deal. Sleep will be a big help if improvements can be made here. 

I drink only water. Every now and again I might have a green tea, but otherwise it's always water and at breakfast I will have a small glass of pomegranate juice.

Same, but I do drink a good deal of coffee during the day. 

48 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Everyone uses that one, but I've always taken to MyNetDiary. It's always been easier to log foods for me.

I hadn’t heard of it until you mentioned it above. Downloaded the free version of the App and I like it! Did a test run scanning my foods for dinner and everything was in the database. Think I’ll pay for the premium version to unlock the added data and link for my Garmin.

• Like 1

IIRC, MyFitnessPal was always more convoluted on how you enter the weights of food, and with MyNetDiary I can just weigh everything in grams. 

There’s definitely a greater varierty of options and customisation compared to MFP, yes. Most welcome. Love that you can add and remove things from the home page too. 

Day 1 in the bag. I don't plan to post like this every day, but good probably good to kick things off. 

• Small pre-workout protein shake
  • 700g chicken
  • 300g egg whites
  • 330g sweet potato
  • 350g cantaloupe
  • 1 banana
  • 1 apple

all spread out in various meals of course. 

1,851 kcals

Protein: 282g (61%)

Carbs: 140g (30%)

Fat: 19 (9%)

Tomorrow will be heavier on fats than carbs. Also will be first day I've done walking exercise in months. 

• Like 1