LCVG
JoeyN

Nintendo 3DS announced- yep 3d without glasses

JoeyN    169

Details from Joystiq

press release on Nintendo's Japanese website appears to confirm the company's next handheld console, temporarily named the "Nintendo 3DS," and said to include hardware and software that will enable "3D effects" without the need for special glasses. The console is stated to be backwards compatible with DS and DSi games and is expected to go on sale (in Japan, presumably) "during the fiscal year ending March 2011" -- so within the next year. The press release has no pictures or other information, and save for the fact that it appears as a file on Nintendo's website, there's no other official word about the new hardware.

Will be shown at E3

Magness    44

If it were closer to April 1st I'd think this was a joke :) Surprised at the design pictured on Joystiq - very old-school GBA.

dogbert    243

I don't think Nintendo's actually released any pictures/designs, and I don't see a mock-up on Joystiq any more; must have been pulled?

VirtualBoy 2?

Camp    148

It is time for a new line.

I guess they learned from their last attempt at a 3D platform.

Josh    111

The picture was a joke; too many people thought it was the real thing so we pulled it to keep the commenters focused on things that weren't stupid.

GreenMonkey    11
If it were closer to April 1st I'd think this was a joke :) Surprised at the design pictured on Joystiq - very old-school GBA.

With the GBA picture on engadget, I thought exactly the same thing for a few seconds. First thing I did was look to the bottom right of the screen to see what day it was.

dogbert    243
With the GBA picture on engadget, I thought exactly the same thing for a few seconds. First thing I did was look to the bottom right of the screen to see what day it was.

The picture was a joke;

Just a reminder.

kelley    244

Josh have you seen one of these 3D screens in person? I would imagine the viewing angles are really tight on them.

AlbertA    85

It's not 3D. It's stereoscopy, which gives you parallax information.

kelley, yes the angles are really tight, google "autostereoscopic displays"

Magness    44

O.k. thanks for clarification on the joke image :) Having seen the vids of the real thing now I'm happy that it looks like a DSi XL and I was fairly impressed with the stereoscopic effect. It seemed to simulate depth pretty well but, the limited viewing angle kinda kills it right? I just don't think this is a portable I would buy but I guess I might change my mind if I see some games that really use it well...

dogbert    243
Having seen the vids of the real thing now I'm happy that it looks like a DSi XL

Wait, what?? Nintendo still hasn't released any media of it... Link??

ChrisBardon    49

You know what, I'm going to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. Yes, Virtual Boy was garbage, but the DS sounded just as crazy and it worked, so we'll see what happens with this. If nothing else, 3d might be only part of the equation, and there might be enough other features to create better 2d games on the handheld.

I really hope that someone's handheld takes a page from the Kindle playbook and incorporates always on wireless-it'd be a great way to get games onto the thing.

AlbertA    85

That's by head tracking (nothing new), since the DS has a camera, they can do a rough estimation on head positioning (many companies are producing algorithms for this) and change the perspective of the camera in the 3D scene.

That would be motion parallax.

IF you want to see in action, Johnny Lee did it with a wiimote, here:

http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Edited by AlbertA

Camp    148

Thanks for posting that.

That certainly is an inexpensive way to bring 3D to the new console. It has to be considered a leading contender for what they have in mind for the 3DS

DaveC    11

The johnny lee demo was pretty cool. Makes me want to try it at home tonight. If the DS is using motion parallax I'll pick one up. apparently the rumour is that Sharp is supplying the screens.

Magness    44

Oh hell, yes that's exactly what I saw. "I'm out" :/ Everytime I check on this stupid thing I find the wrong footage or wrong images or wrong info... <Sigh> I give up heheh. I hope it's cool and there are good games for it - end of line

;)

dogbert    243
Oh hell, yes that's exactly what I saw. "I'm out" :/ Everytime I check on this stupid thing I find the wrong footage or wrong images or wrong info... <Sigh> I give up heheh. I hope it's cool and there are good games for it - end of line

;)

Heh, Ninty even said E3 ;)

GreenMonkey    11
That's by head tracking (nothing new), since the DS has a camera, they can do a rough estimation on head positioning (many companies are producing algorithms for this) and change the perspective of the camera in the 3D scene.

That would be motion parallax.

IF you want to see in action, Johnny Lee did it with a wiimote, here:

http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

Awesome video. Thx for posting it.

Daedraroth    10

Next, DS XT with giant Stylus, so big you gotta use both your hands just for the Stylus mamma mia, Mario must warn that this also comes with VPS ( Virgin Protection System ) that will create electricity on the surface of the stylus if certain abuse was detected. :)

Edited by Daedraroth