LCVG
Josh

What are you reading?

I just started _JR_ by William Gaddis. So far, it's brilliant.

My all-time favorite would have to be _V_ by Thomas Pynchon. It's a thick tapestry of amazing characters, haunting locales, and some of the most hilarious scenes to ever grace a page. Long live the Whole Sick Crew!

Currently plodding (yes, plodding, its fairly disappointing so far) through Quicksilver, the new Neal Stephenson.

All time faves are Vurt by Jeff Noon and Cryptonomicon by Stephenson again. Actually, hang on - I'm sure there was another book thread around somewhere.

edit - Ah. here it was. Its long dead, though, and meandered all over the place anyway, so no big harm in starting again.

All I do these days is study and schoolwork with my gf mixed in for good measure. Next book I'm going to read will be Terry Pratchett's Night Watch. I'm a big Discworld fan and have read every core book in the series (no mean feat, I assure you :P) so I'll dig into that over Christmas.

As I am happy to yammer, my two favorite books are Ender's Game and Snow Crash. Despite liking fantasy far more than science fiction, oddly. Speaker For The Dead is another great book, though I'm rather irked by the direction the Ender series takes after that.

For fantasy, my favorite book is probably Wizard's First Rule, by Terry Goodkind. Like many fantasy series, however, this is a series that does not know when it should quit and I jettisoned it after Soul of the Fire, which I actually never bothered to finish, as the books had begun to drag endlessly sometime around the start of Blood of the Fold. The first sequel is a corker though.

I just finished reading the second Richard Stark novel, called The Man With the Getaway Face. That's good stuff and I'm looking forward to continuing to read those books.

Right now, um, I guess I'm in the middle of a few things. I'm reading Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban, Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age, and (although I haven't touched it in a while) House of Leaves. I kind of skip around depending on what I'm in the mood for, and at any time I'm probably reading plenty of comics too. Because of this, I'm actually a pretty slow reader :)

I'm not sure I can really nail down an all-time favorite book but for right now I'll say Lonesome Dove, Cold in July, The Big Sleep, and Snowcrash were very good and I keep meaning to go back and reread them :)

at any time I'm probably reading plenty of comics too

Oh, me too :P.

I get Runaways, Sentinel, and The Flash on a monthly basis and pick up Ultimate Spider-Man, Powers, and JSA in trades when I can ;).

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Nov 19 2003, 09:14 AM

Next book I'm going to read will be Terry Pratchett's Night Watch. I'm a big Discworld fan and have read every core book in the series (no mean feat, I assure you :P)

Try reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series -- two or three times. That's a feat.

Night Watch is outstanding, by the way. Easily one of my favorites from the whole Discworld series (and I read all the core books too!).

I read the Terry Goodkind series, but in retrospect, I didn't really care for it after the second book. Have you read Gearge R.R. Martin?

Okay, I'm reading:

A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide, Samantha Power. Outstanding book, but I read it in tiny, tiny slices so I'm making very slow progress.

How the Mind Works, Stephen Pinker. Read a third a while ago and put it down to re-read the Aubrey-Maturin series before the movie. It's a great book and I'm looking forward to picking it up again.

100 Bullets, Azzarello. Revisiting the the trades of this gem.

A Cook's Tour, Anthony Bourdain. Revisiting this one.

Reality Dysfunction, Hamilton. Rereading the first book to see if I want to re-read the series.

-j

Have you read Gearge R.R. Martin?

I actually have A Game of Thrones here and have been meaning to read it for the past couple years. I get through the prologue and find it enjoyable, but then just put it aside. It's really odd. I think I might be slightly off series that don't appear to be ending.

With Discworld the books are in a shared universe rather than ongoing, so it's much more reasonable. The last fantasy I was reading besides Harry Potter was Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody trilogy and I cannot get through the second book because the descriptions are so dense that it sucks my will to live, despite the premise and characters being interesting. And despite being supposedly just three books, that series just started up again too, argh!

Good fantasy should end at some point. Death's Gate was only seven books and ended very nicely. Harry Potter should wrap up in same. Series like Wheel of Time et al that just keep piling on book after book are really frustrating. Same trap Goodkind fell into, imho, he simply won't end his story.

I'm currently reading the two towers for the first time. Sad I know but I actually enjoy seeing the movies first. Allows me to enjoy them without having to judge them for what they changed left out. Although for the most part I've liked what they've done with them so far compared to the book. I'm looking forward to watching the extended two towers that I picked up last night so I can see some of the cooler scenes in two towers come to life.

I know in the return of the king preview they do on the original disk he mentions that theres a scene at the end of the two towers book that comes at the beginning of the third movie. I'm hoping I can tell where that is so I don't read it before I see the movie.

All time favorite book would have to be the original dragonlance books. I've read a few cool fiction books for school my favorite so far being Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I found it to be a very interesting book.

Just read Beowulf. Now it's back to text books. As soon as the semester is over I'm diving in to Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver.

Currently reading Songbook by Nick Hornby. Series of short essays about his favorite pop songs, is really quite good.

My to read shelf is getting rather full. Quicksilver by Stephenson and the new RA Salvatore Drizzt book are next in line.

Some personal favorites for me would be Snowcrash, Ender's Game, and the Hobbit.

I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon. It's my first Stephenson, and I'm quite enthralled with it. I've shifted my 'to read' list around to fit more of his in.

For fantasy, my favorite book is probably Wizard's First Rule, by Terry Goodkind. Like many fantasy series, however, this is a series that does not know when it should quit and I jettisoned it after Soul of the Fire, which I actually never bothered to finish, as the books had begun to drag endlessly sometime around the start of Blood of the Fold. The first sequel is a corker though.

You know, I have to agree, the first one is really good, but after a while it just begins to drag. That being said, I've hung on and read all of them (except the newest one, but that's in the pile to read) in the hopes that something will come of it. They have a funny scam going with these books, they're selling a paperback Wizard's First Rule for $2.99 CAD or thereabouts just to get people hooked.

I'm going to see Master and Commander tomorrow, so I can see myself having to check out some of these O'Neal books everyone is talking about now, too.

Originally posted by Chris@Nov 19 2003, 11:34 AM

I'm going to see Master and Commander tomorrow, so I can see myself having to check out some of these O'Neal books everyone is talking about now, too.

Patrick O'Brian. For those that enjoy those books/movie, the Horatio Hornblower books by CS Forester are another good naval adventure series.

Oh, all time favorites. I'm cheating and counting series as one selection -- so, my favs:

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, by a sea mile.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

I personally wouldn't recommend Forester's Hornblower series after reading O'Brian, but YMMV!

-j

Originally posted by Darius@Nov 19 2003, 03:18 PM

I know in the return of the king preview they do on the original disk he mentions that theres a scene at the end of the two towers book that comes at the beginning of the third movie. I'm hoping I can tell where that is so I don't read it before I see the movie.

Stop when Frodo and Sam are climbing some big stairs. She (the 'she' that Film Gollum is referring to at the end) is at the top of them. Don't want to ruin her for you, so thats all I'll say.

One of my favorite fantasy writers is Stephen R. Donaldson. Between the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (each three books) and Mordant's Need series (two books) there is plenty to read.

He also wrote a series of sci-fi novles (the Gap series) that I enjoyed.

He's great at creating anti-heroes and making you hate his characters.

I tend to stick with fantasy and sci-fi, but if you're looking for a change I would suggest I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. It's an excellent read and one that I never hesitate to recommend.

I'm reading You Shall Know Our Velocity! by David Eggers. It's largely frustrating, but every so often blindsides me with a beautiful passage about love and loss that has kept me turning the pages.

Currently reading Songbook by Nick Hornby. Series of short essays about his favorite pop songs, is really quite good.

Good to hear. My previous read was Hornby's How to Be Good which I enjoyed to a certain degree. Having already seen About a Boy and High Fidelity I wasn't sure if there was another novel of his out there worth reading.

As for all time favorites... today I will say The Brothers K by David James Duncan.

Pieter

Edit: Forgot to mention I've been listening to Alan Deutschman's The Second Coming of Steve Jobs whilst driving. I love learning the history of Apple/Microsoft as they started up. Does anyone have any good suggestions for further reading in this topic?

I'm currently finishing up The Languages of the Brain - which is a superb collection of papers on all kinds of aspects of brain and cognitive psychology research.

And I'm just getting into Constructing a Language : A Usage-Based Theory of Language Acquisition, which is great so far.

Oh, and I picked up Neal Stephenson's latest Quicksilver, but haven't started it yet.

Two books sharing time for me, which is generally something I don't like to do, but I had little choice this time :)

Still finishing up the original novel of "Battle Royale" which is a really good read, adding a lot of depth to the backstory & characters compared to the film. I think it's worth a read for fans of the film, but I'd reccomend watching the film first for "newbies".

The other book I'm reading is "Them" by a British journalist, Jon Ronson. Essentially, it's him following around well known 'extremists' & conspiracy theorists, digging into what makes them tick & their theories of worldwide conspiracies. We're talking about people like David Icke, the leaders of the Klu Klux Klan, Aryan Nation, Ian Paisley & Islamic fundamentalists in London. There's a lot about the Bildeburg group in it. It's a very good read, especially if you're "into" wacked out theories. It's a breeze to read & I'm really enjoying it.

I'm about halfway through Clavell's Shogun right now, but it's taking me a lot longer than most of other books I've read this year. It's not that it's not interesting, I just haven't had as much time to read lately.

I'm waiting for the latest Dune prequel to come in to my local library - that is next on my list.

Also will be picking up The Digital Bits' Guide to DVD this Friday.

I also love comics. Currently reading Nightwing,New X-Men,JLA,JSA, JLA/Avengers - and some other stuff here & there.

Easliy the best one though is Y - The Last Man. This a a Vertigo book written by Brian K. Vaughan that tells the story about a mysterious "plague" that wipes out everything male in one fell swoop - except for this one guy & his pet monkey. Worth a read, or three...

Brian K. Vaughan

Writer of Runaways, in fact. I keep meaning to pick up Y, but at least I get to plug Runaways at the same time. The whole Tsunami line seems to be in danger, sadly. Most titles I'm not getting, but both Sentinels and Runaways are quite excellent.

Currently reading "The Art of War." I never read it before, just figured it's time.

After that, I want to read "The Jazz Exiles" by Bill Moody. It's about some jazz cats who found an audience overseas to be receptive to their music more so than people in the US.

Once that's done, I want to read "Pulp" by Charles Bukowski. A friend got it for me last year for Christmas, but I've been slacking on my reading lately.

All time fave(s) would have to be "Swank" circa 1997-2001.

Originally posted by Hank Scorpio@Nov 20 2003, 12:49 AM

Currently reading "The Art of War." I never read it before, just figured it's time.

Without wishing to critise old Lu-Tza (to shamelessly steal a Pratchettism), if you're going to go reading stuff like this, then The Prince is the daddy. Machiavelli is just hilarious.