LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

dogbert    243

You can read Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 2 HERE

My order of Criterion BDs arrived today from the BN sale. Watching "The Red Shoes" right now and it looks fucking gorgeous. I can't believe it took so long for me to buy a Criterion BD, certainly didn't plan it like that. I can see me buying more after I watch Black Narcissus next ;)

I'm sad there was no way I could take advantage of that Criterion sale from overseas. I had hoped Amazon would match B&N or something. I'm really happy with their releases and there are a lot more I want to get. The most recent one I got was The Man Who Fell to Earth as it was another title Studio Canal have torn from Criterion's grasp and sent it out of print.....

With Miramax and its entire catalogue now sold off I am wondering whether we'll get to see more titles licensed to Criterion in future. I do hope so.

The first Austin Powers (you know, the amusing one before the series went all gross out and smutty) is now available on Blu-ray here in the UK via Optimum. Allegedly the disc is region free but I have yet to verify. Initial reviews are decent on the A/V side (MPEG4, 2.0 PCM and DTS HD MA 5.1). It's a barebones disc, however it is apparently the extended international cut of the movie with the delightfully obscure Christian Slater scenes and the pussycat gag that isn't ruined by editing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Austin-Powers-International-Mystery-Blu-ray/dp/B002BD9DQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280752971&sr=8-1

I might pick it up soon.

Season 1 isn't even here yet but we've already got an announcement for season 2!

The Twilight Zone - Season 2 on Blu-ray

All 29 episodes of the second season of Rod Serling's classic, groundbreaking series, now presented in pristine high-definition for the first time ever, along with hours of new and exclusive bonus features not available anywhere else!

Episodes: King Nine Will Not Return, The Man in the Bottle, Nervous Man in a Four-Dollar Room, A Thing About Machines, The Howling Man, Eye of the Beholder, Nick of Time, The Lateness of the Hour, The Trouble with Templeton, A Most Unusual Camera, The Night of the Meek, Dust, Back There, The Whole Truth, The Invaders, A Penny for Your Thoughts, Twenty-Two, The Odyssey of Flight 33, Mr. Dingle the Strong, Static, The Prime Mover, Long Distance Call, A Hundred Yards over the Rim, The Rip Van Winkle Caper, The Silence, Shadow Play, The Mind and the Matter, Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?, The Obsolete Man

A bit over a month ago, Image Entertainment formally announced their September 14th release on high-def Blu-ray Disc of Rod Serling's original 1959 series The Twilight Zone - Season 1. Today Image has continued by announcing their follow-up BD format release.

The Twilight Zone - Season 2 will be available on Blu-ray November 16th. Coming on 4 discs running approximately 749 minutes, the episodes will be presented with new 1080p high-definition transfers created from the original camera negatives, but retaining their original as-broadcast 1.33:1 "full screen" video format. Audio, remastered from the original magnetic soundtracks, will be presented in the original as-broadcast English Mono sound format, but as uncompressed PCM audio for optimal clarify and quality. English subtitles are included.

As with the first season's Blu release, the BD version of The Twilight Zone - Season 2 will include bonus material previously available on Image's DVD version, plus new extras just for this high-def release. Among the new special features you'll get Part 2 of the vintage (1978) audio interview with Director of Photography George T. Clemens. There's also an audio interview with Makeup Artist/ Designer William Tuttle (who was involved with several key Twilight Zone episodes, such as the second season's "Eye of the Beholder" and "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?", and classics from later seasons including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet " and "The Masks").

Another intriguing new extra is a bonus episode of the TV series Suspense, from that show's fifth season. Penned by Rod Serling, the 1953 episode "Nightmare at Ground Zero" tells the story of an artist who is stressed in both his work and his personal life, and is hurrying to meet a 4:00 AM deadline for his contract with the military, in which he must provide mannequins that represent people to the target house at the Nevada Proving Grounds. The episode starred O.Z. Whitehead, Louise Larabee and Calvin Thomas, and also appearing in it was Pat Hingle ("Commissioner Gordon" in 1989's Batman and sequels). The episode was executive produced by William Dozier, the creator/producer/announcer for TV's Batman and Green Hornet programs in the '60s, and it was directed by Robert Mulligan (who was nominated for an Oscar for his direction of 1962's To Kill a Mockingbird, starring Gregory Peck). This episode of Suspense is available on DVD elsewhere, but we're sure that Twilight Zone fans will be glad to have it as part of this collection!

Image Entertainment's release of The Twilight Zone - Season 2 on Blu-ray Disc will cost $99.98 SRP (which means the "street price" will probably be somewhere around $70-$80, after retailer discounts). Package art is below, and as you can see it's box design is cut from the same mold as the first season's Blu-ray release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilight-Zone-Season-2-Blu-ray/14184

Dimness    82

How does Full Screen of pre 1960's films in high definition look? I'm hesitant to purchase some classics like The Third Man or Seven Samurai on Blu-Ray when the DVD's were excellent to begin with.

JoeyN    169

Depends on who is doing the transfer. A lot of older films look better then newer stuff.

dogbert    243

Depends on who is doing the transfer. A lot of older films look better then newer stuff.

Indeed. With the Red Shoes, it's 4:3. It looks gorgeous. There's a great Scorcese introduced documentary showing the damage to the original three-state nitrate negatives and it's amazing; the restoration team says the movie never looked as good as it does now, even the original cinema projections were flawed because of the nature of the three film projection.

Obviously, as Joey says, not every film is going to look like that. But you have to remember that all those old film prints had way more detail than DVD could handle. As long as the film is in good condition, or restored, it should look good. It's all down to how much care is taken with the release.

The Professor Layton movie has been penciled in for a UK release on the 11th of October. Region coding as yet unknown...

Manga Entertainment have sent over artwork and an 11th October 2010 release date for Professor Layton and The Eternal Diva. This is an anime movie adaptation of the popular Level-5 game series for the Nintendo DS.

Available on DVD (£15.99 RRP), Blu-ray (£19.99 RRP), Blu-ray Combi Pack (£24.99 RRP) and Blu-ray Combi Deluxe Edition (£49.99 RRP) versions, further details are TBC though based on retailer listings you can expect the standard editions to be barebones, while the Combi Pack includes DVD and Blu-ray versions of the film plus a bonus disc of extras. Then you have the Combi Pack Deluxe Edition which throws a 630-page storyboard book into the box.

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/72904/professor-layton-and-the-eternal-diva-r2uk-bd-in-october.html

Those of us worried about how Psycho was going to turn out need worry no more if this first review is anything to go by. It's a review of the UK disc released this Friday, which will be a clone of the eventual US one (I don't know why Universal gave it to us two months early, especially with the US October slate looking like Blu-ray's equivalent of a Christmas gaming release schedule)....

http://hcc.techradar.com/playback/blu-ray/hitchock-goes-hi-def-our-exclusive-psycho-blu-ray-review-05-08-10

I'm pleased the mono track is presented as DTS HD MA like I had hoped, too,

Solitice    12

Anyone want to help a Canadian out? I REALLY REALLY want the Alien Egg Collectors set from the Fox connect sight. BUT they freaking won't ship the damn thing to me. I need someone to ship it to me that lives in the US. There are only 5000 of these things being sold BTW. I should be able to pay for it and have it shipped to someone that can forward it on to me when they get released in Oct.

There's been some indication that we're likely to see Battle Royale on Blu-ray here in the UK in October courtesy of Arrow Film. They've been putting a lot of effort into their Blu-rays so we could be in for something rather special with this one.

Dave C    21

Anyone want to help a Canadian out? I REALLY REALLY want the Alien Egg Collectors set from the Fox connect sight. BUT they freaking won't ship the damn thing to me. I need someone to ship it to me that lives in the US. There are only 5000 of these things being sold BTW. I should be able to pay for it and have it shipped to someone that can forward it on to me when they get released in Oct.

Nice package. If you still need help getting this let me know.

5e74c312_IMG_2011.jpg

c4d9223d_IMG_2020.jpg

Jordan_E    66

I actually don't like that. Why reduce the alien to the same size as the egg? I think a facehugger crawling out of it would have been better.

Yep. Isn't there another set with the Facehugger? I think it's silver.

Received the UK disc of Austin Powers today. Had to switch regions on my Oppo as it is indeed locked to Region B. The disc really is as barebones as they come. The movie, a basic menu, a mere twelve chapters, but 2.0 PCM and 5.1 DTS HD MA. It is indeed the uncut international version which is all that matters to me, and the disc itself appears to look rather decent (filmlike with no sign of DNR. Source material could be better perhaps, but it's fine).

Finally got the UK disc of Let the Right One In too as it is going cheap. Despite being marked Region B that one is in fact region free (and has the proper subtitles).

Angel P    111

Hey Dan, where can I find the Let The Right One In blu-ray disc? Proper subtitles is important to me so I've been leery of ordering from just anywhere. Also, would it happen to have Spanish subtitles as well?

Hmmm... I was about to direct you to Amazon UK, Angel, but they're only listing third party sellers for some reason. I can get you a copy if you like. In fact, it may be best as initial runs only had DTS lossy by mistake when in fact they should have had DTS HD MA. Momentum corrected this in later pressings and set up a replacement scheme. I could grab a copy and check it for you before sending it on.

There's an audio commentary on the UK disc not on the US one too. Just English subtitles, though.