LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

flysnt.jpg

• Maximum Movie Mode: Christopher Nolan and Leonardo DiCaprio extract information about the world of Inception and learn about all things you may have missed in the film. Questions, answers, surprises and intrigue are all there for the taking!
  • Prologue (Motion Comics):
    -- Inception: The Cobol Job: Online comic that details how Cobb, Arthur and Nash came to be enlisted by Cobol Engineering to perform an extraction on Saito.
    -- Inception: The Big Under: The story that reveals how Cobb and company get to Saito to put him under for the dream featured in the beginning of the film.
  • Dream of Consciousness: Taking some of the most fascination and cutting-edge dream research to date on lucid dreaming, leading scientist to make the case that the dream world is not an altered state of consciousness, but a fully functional parallel reality.
  • 15 Focus Pods
  • Photo Gallery

US release date TBA (6th of Dec in UK). Discs are BD, DVD & Digital Copy.

I expect Inception to get multiple re-releases. Just smacks of a movie they'll figure out a "director's cut" of to generate more cash from.

The book is apparently a PASIV user manual.

I expect Inception to get multiple re-releases. Just smacks of a movie they'll figure out a "director's cut" of to generate more cash from.

I'm not sure. Nolan's yet to show desire to revisit anything in his career and is fussy when it comes to special features. I'd be surprised if he could justify it in future - or indeed if he left enough material out of the film to even allow for an alternate cut. For better or for worse he does tend to stick to his shooting scripts very closely.

Regardless, I want a spinny thing. :)

I may be wrong, but isn't Memento the only one of Nolan's films that got any kind of significant re-release? Even that one didn't have a recut of the film, just the option to watch it play out in the proper order.

Yes, though even barebones editions of Memento in some countries that came out in the years before the special edition had that feature. I believe Criterion are looking to re-issue Following as part of their deal with IFC (and I suppose it might be amongst their Dec titles seeing as Inception will land that same month). The Sony disc for Following already has a good commentary and some other extras.

The Masters of Cinema version is definitely the one to get; a much more comprehensive and lovingly-produced edition.

Indeed. I put in an order today for a limited edition steelbook edition which includes a nice t-shirt. I'm not traditionally one to salivate over all this steelbook business but...

20qe6wp.jpg

b847k5.jpg

The 'dual format' = 1 BD and 2 DVDs. It's not a flipper or anything. Region coding is still to be determined according to Eureka.

Escape From New York looked very nice on the bedroom plasma last night, but had a creepy vibe in the beginning, watching it on 9/11; seeing the WTC and then having a terrorist crash a jet into New York. Couldn't judge the AQ because had to watch it at a low volume because daughter fell asleep on our bed last night. And then had to "explain" every other little thing to the wife. Still, well worth the $12.99 upgrade.

BTW, Trick R Treat is on sale at Best Buy for $7.99 this week. Love the Halloween atmosphere in that movie, even if the stories left me a little *meh* overall.

I can confirm that Warner's recent release of Se7en on BD is one of their finest catalog releases to date from a PQ/AQ standpoint. The disc is stunning.

I'll probably wait until next year to get Seven, as I watched it too many times on DVD and just can't get into it anymore.

Bought Trick R Trick today. For $7.99, it works for my October horror rotation nicely.

as I watched it too many times on DVD and just can't get into it anymore.

Yeah, that'll never be an issue with me and that movie. It's easily one of my favorite films.

I wasn't going to get the Alien set, because Caz doesn't like them much and I've not watched my Quadrilogy set in ages. But that Aliens transfer is simply stunning - mandatory purchase for me next year when I get a 1920x1080 set, for sure.

BTW, Trick R Treat is on sale at Best Buy for $7.99 this week. Love the Halloween atmosphere in that movie, even if the stories left me a little *meh* overall.

I have a thing for girls from fairy tales (Grimm's Fairy Tales = sexy covers), and Anna Paquin as Red Riding Hood was just wow.

Btw *looks at watch* where's Lawrence of Arabia?

I have a thing for girls from fairy tales (Grimm's Fairy Tales = sexy covers), and Anna Paquin as Red Riding Hood was just wow.

Oh, those girls in the various costumes were HOT and agree about Anna's outfit. I think I like the overall execution of the movie rather than the tales they presented.

I got This is England for £7 today in HMV as it turned out my initial post about this was wrong. The disc IS in fact 1080p/24... It's Dead Man's Shoes that's 1080i/50. It's Region B disc however. DTS HD MA and lots of extras (which I think are probably PAL. I've yet to check).

I also picked up Four Lions which comes in a lovely slim hardback gatefold case. It's locked to Region B for those looking to import and this one actually is 1080i/50 which, as far as I know, is how it was shot. DTS HD MA and a smattering of deleted/alternate scenes and research material make up the extras by the looks of things. The BD sadly does not replicate the excellent DVD version menus which are based on the online chat room seen in the film.

... oh and my Metropolis t-shirt from Eureka arrived at the weekend. *thumbs up*

Ended up buying Iron Man 2, although I still have issues with the pacing. Wife is the one who actually said: "We may as well get it." Never go against the wife, expecially concerning Blu Rays.

Avatar: The "and you thought they couldn't make it any longer" Edition

LOS ANGELES, CA. (October 5th, 2010) – Director James Cameron is unlocking the secrets of Pandora and taking fans on a guided tour of his vision with the highly anticipated release of AVATAR Extended Collector’s Edition on Blu-ray and DVD releasing November 16th in North America and rolling out internationally from November 15th. These exclusive Extended Collector’s Editions come with iconic, collectible packaging to get fans to experience Pandora like never before. With three versions of the film, AVATAR fans will get an all-new extended cut of the film and hours of never-before seen material including over 45 minutes of amazing deleted scenes!

"I told our team --- let's do the ultimate box set of Avatar, with everything in it the fans could possibly want. There's an extended length cut that's sixteen minutes longer, plus documentaries, behind the scenes featurettes, artwork and over 45 minutes of deleted scenes. Everything worth putting into a special edition is in this set," said James Cameron.

The three-disc AVATAR Extended Collector’s Edition Blu-ray and Theatrical Special Edition Re-Release DVD will both feature the original theatrical release, a special edition re-release, family audio track with all objectionable language removed and new collector’s extended cut with sixteen more minutes including an exclusive alternate opening Earth scene. Viewers will journey to the depths of Pandora with filmmakers during “Capturing Avatar“ an in-depth feature length documentary covering the 16 year filmmaker journey including all new interviews with James Cameron, Jon Landau and cast and crew exploring James Cameron’s unique vision for the film seen by more than 310 million people worldwide. The Oscar and Golden Globe winning epic is the highest grossing film of all time, taking in over $2.7 billion in worldwide box office. It is also the top-selling Blu-ray disc of all time.

The AVATAR Extended Collector’s Edition Blu-ray will also have even more bonus material and interactive viewing. Through the unparalleled, interactive technology of Blu-ray, fans can dive further into the world of the Na’vi and experience the #1 international sensation from behind the scenes, with a “master class” on the production of the film. Leveraging the interactivity of Blu-ray, viewers can experience the full film in three stages of production: Performance Capture, Template (1990’s video game version) and Final as well as a composite of all stages in “Pandora’s Box”. This will be supported with interviews by Jim Cameron and the filmmakers and serve as a “master class” on the making of AVATAR.

AVATAR Extended Collection’s Edition: 3-Disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray:

Disc One

· Original Theatrical Version

· Special Edition Re-Release

· Collector’s Extended Cut

16 more minutes and exclusive alternate opening

Family Audio Track (All Objectionable Language Removed)

· Original Theatrical Release

· Special Edition Re-release

Disc Two

· “Capturing Avatar“ An in-depth feature length documentary with James Cameron, Jon Landau and cast and crew

· Deleted Scenes – including over 45 minutes of new never-before-seen deleted scenes

· Production Materials

Disc Three

· Open “Pandora’s Box” and go deeper into the filmmaker process

· Interactive Scene Deconstruction: Explore the various stages of production through 3 different viewing modes

· Production Shorts: 17 featurettes covering performance apture, scoring the film, 3D fusion camera, stunts and much more

· Avatar Archives including original scriptment, 300 page screenplay and the extensive Pandorapedia

· BD-live Portal with additional bonus materials