LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

It’s Hopper being hammy I really don’t like. That stuff can work in some contexts, but just seems way out of place when they’re trying to play it serious in so many other aspects of the story. 

US will get a Batman TAS set without the paraphernalia in late November:

This and the ltd ed are still released on the same day in the UK this month.

Well damn. Good thing it's cheap because it looks like little effort has been made with Prince of Egypt as it's clearly struck from an old master, and not a new anniversary master you'd have to assume had been made for its anniversary theatrical re-issue. Bizarre.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12427&d2=12426&c=4890

Suspect that guarantees Antz will come from an old (film) master too.

• Sad 1

It’s an improvement I’ll take, but yeah... lazy stuff. It’s Universal, so I’d be lying if I said I was shocked. At least they didn’t take the old master and smudge it to buggery with DNR. 

The big difference there seems to be actually framing the disc at 1.85:1 rather than vertically stretching to 1.77 for a full screen, rather than any improvement in detail. Unless that's an artifact of the way they've dealt with PAL screengrabs.

Good news! More Dreamworks animated discs are on the way. Best Buy have January listings for Road to El Dorado and Chicken Run on Blu-Ray (and Joseph King of Dreams). Bad news, I wouldn’t expect any more effort than ended up going into Prince of Egypt. Still, I’ll take them, and I’m more hopeful than ever that Wallace and Gromit will not be far behind this next wave.

Apparently Antz looks... ok. As I expected it’s seemingly mastered from a 35mm source and not the digital files. There’s never been a master of the movie from the native source though, and 20yrs on one wonders if they even exist anymore to have done one anyway. 

Shout’s getting a lot of stuff lately. Really not my favourite label as they’re not the best when caring for masters and encoding. Hopefully that one turns out OK.

Kino mentioned another company had picked up Terminator and I wondered if it might be Shout. I hope it’s Arrow though, especially since Arrow confirmed they are doing Robocop next year.

• Like 1

Word over at bluray.com is that Arrow will be having a Christmas sale from Dec 12 - Jan 9.