LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

That sounds good Dan, thanks. PM me details about payment. Spanish subtitles was just for wife but not a deal breaker. :)

It's hard to get excited when Lucas says stuff like this, however inevitable, about the release:

Mr. Lucas said that to release the original versions of these films on Blu-ray was “kind of an oxymoron because the quality of the original is not very good.”

“You have to go through and do a whole restoration on it, and you have to do that digitally,” he added. “It’s a very, very expensive process to do it. So when we did the transfer to digital, we only transferred really the upgraded version.”

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/14/star-wars-films-coming-to-blu-ray-next-year/

Curse those expenses, eh? Despite donating half his fortunate to educational charities is there not just a little bit of money left to restore the originals?

I'm buying it any way it is released. Except for Greedo shooting first, I was a fan on the Special Editions.

As for that scene, they actually had that as a part of the Shadows of the Empire book.

I "put up" with the special editions or whatever they are called these days. I'm no fan of the muppet show Jabba's Palace became in Return of the Jedi. Jabba in 'A New Hope" is utterly unnecessary and changing Vader's "Bring my shuttle" line in Empire to the nonsense that's there now (along with the shot of him arriving at the Star Destroyer) is one of the most bone headed moves a director has made to intentionally worsen the best movie of the trilogy. I won't get into retconning Boba's voice, Hayden's doofy ass being put into Jedi at the finale, the lack of my beloved yub-yub song and the awkwardness of the Greedo scene etc. etc.

If it included the untouched versions in high definition with a new restoration, he could charge me whatever he likes and I'd buy. Embrace it George. You got it right the first time...

Instead...

beu5qt.gif

Agree with Romier (and most everyone else): This news only saddens me :( I'd be willing to pay just about anything for the Original Trilogy theatrical versions with digital remastered pic/sound... I don't want Greedo shooting first, I don't want to see Jabba in ANH, I don't want to hear Luke screaming as he falls, I don't want Boba's voice changed, I hate the new song in Jabba's in ROTJ, etc, etc. Sigh, I'll just download the inevitable "fan corrected" edit of the Blu-Rays after they're released... Thanks Lucas.

Here we go again. It's like I'm back in the 90s.

Back when Lucas was milking Star Wars VHS releases, I stopped caring. I sold off my original editions LDs and vowed to never hand over any money to Lucas for anything SW related. Which, I guess, means EVERYTHING HE DOES since he doesn't seem interested in trying anything outside of the SW universe. It's easier for me to stay away because I was never a fanatical Star Wars fan but a fan nonetheless. I realized many many people idolized these films and were besides themselves with anger at Lucas for all the changes he's made. And yet, they'd still buy them. Boggles my mind.

Ultimately, and I know it's been said many times before over the decades, voice your opinion with your wallet. Unfortunately, Lucas will still rake in the millions off of these blu-rays from the very people he's pissing off.

The only way I'd own a SW movie now is if I purchased it used from someone else. Lucas can make all the changes he wants, he won't get a penny from me ever again.

Sorry if I momentarily derailed this thread. Just had to get that off my chest.

Lucas can make all the changes he wants' date=' he won't get a penny from me ever again.[/quote']

The changes aren't what bothers people. I honestly don't care how much he tinkers with the movies. It's his right to do so. It's just frustrating that he refuses to make the unaltered versions available in their best possible presentation. You could go for the "making a stand" argument but you need the fanbase to do that in droves and it's never going to happen, Angel. The original Star Wars trilogy on Blu-Ray will sell through the roof no matter how much indignation folks have about it. That's just the reality.

The changes aren't what bothers people. I honestly don't care how much he tinkers with the movies. It's his right to do so. It's just frustrating that he refuses to make the unaltered versions available in their best possible presentation. You could go for the "making a stand" argument but you need the fanbase to do that in droves and it's never going to happen, Angel. The original Star Wars trilogy on Blu-Ray will sell through the roof no matter how much indignation folks have about it. That's just the reality.

You're right on both points, Romier. Hell, even I would consider purchasing the original versions if released. But not having the fanbase to get behind a "let's take a stand" scenario is an unfortunate reality.

Do I like the changes? No. But the Star Wars Theme still makes me smile and the final Trench Run still works for me. And The Empire Strikes Back? Even the tweaking couldn't ruin such a great movie! Bring it!

Do I like the changes? No. But the Star Wars Theme still makes me smile

Drop more money into Lucas' pocket and pick up the soundtrack. ;)

And The Empire Strikes Back? Even the tweaking couldn't ruin such a great movie! Bring it!

For me, the only movie in the series that's worth a damn.

Since this derail wasn't severe enough, here's a good article on Gary Kurtz, who is notoriously tight-lipped about talking about his days in the Star Wars inner sanctum. It seems he was at Celebration V, too, which is surprising news.

Oh, and no unmolested OT = no sale. A turd in 1080p is still a turd, just moreso. That's too much p for "Han, me bookie" or however the fuck it's spelled. Why would I want to pay for some of the worst film-making decisions in my lifetime?

A simply massive November coming for Criterion:

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER – BD & DVD

The Night of the Hunter—incredibly, the only film the great actor Charles Laughton ever directed—is truly a standalone masterwork. A horror movie with qualities of a Grimm fairy tale, it stars a sublimely sinister Robert Mitchum (Cape Fear, The Friends of Eddie Coyle) as a traveling preacher named Harry Powell (he of the tattooed knuckles), whose nefarious motives for marrying a fragile widow, played by Shelley Winters (A Place in the Sun, The Diary of Anne Frank) are uncovered by her terrified young children. Graced by images of eerie beauty and a sneaky sense of humor, this ethereal, expressionistic American classic—also featuring the contributions of actress Lillian Gish (Intolerance, Duel in the Sun) and writer James Agee—is cinema’s quirkiest rendering of the battle between good and evil.

1955 • 93 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary featuring assistant director Terry Sanders, film critic F. X. Feeney, archivist Robert Gitt, and author Preston Neal Jones

• Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter,” a two-and-a-half-hour archival treasure trove of outtakes from the film

• New documentary featuring interviews with producer Paul Gregory, Sanders, Jones, and author Jeffrey Couchman

• New video interview with Simon Callow, author of Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor

• Clip from the The Ed Sullivan Show, in which cast members perform live a scene that was deleted from the film

• Fifteen-minute episode of the BBC show Moving Pictures about the film

• Archival interview with cinematographer Stanley Cortez

• Gallery of sketches by author Davis Grubb

• New video conversation between Gitt and film critic Leonard Maltin about Charles Laughton Directs “The Night of the Hunter”

• Original theatrical trailer

• PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Terrence Rafferty and Michael Sragow

TITLE: The Night of the Hunter (BLU-RAY EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1955BD

UPC: 7-15515-06451-4

ISBN: 978-1-60465-349-6

SRP: $49.95

PREBOOK: 10/19/10

STREET: 11/16/10

TITLE: The Night of the Hunter (DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1956D

UPC: 7-15515-06461-3

ISBN: 978-1-60465-350-2

SRP: $39.95

MODERN TIMES – BD & DVD

Modern Times, Charlie Chaplin’s last outing as the Little Tramp, puts the iconic character to work as a giddily inept factory employee who becomes smitten with a gorgeous gamine (Paulette Goddard). With its barrage of unforgettable gags and sly commentary on class struggle during the Great Depression, Modern Times—though made almost a decade into the talkie era and containing moments of sound (even song!)—is a timeless showcase of Chaplin’s untouchable genius as a director of silent comedy.

1936 • 87 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.33:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• New audio commentary by Chaplin biographer David Robinson

• Two new visual essays, by Chaplin historians John Bengtson and Jeffrey Vance

• New program on the film’s visual and sound effects, with experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt

• Interview from 1992 with Modern Times music arranger David Raksin

• Chaplin Today: “Modern Times” (2004), a half-hour program with filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne

• Two segments removed from the film

• Three theatrical trailers

• All at Sea (1933), a home movie by Alistair Cooke featuring Charlie Chaplin, Paulette Goddard, and Cooke, plus a new score by Donald Sosin and a new interview with Cooke’s daughter, Susan Cooke Kittredge

• The Rink (1916), a Chaplin two-reeler highlighting his skill on wheels

• For the First Time (1967), a Cuban documentary short about a projectionist who shows Modern Times to first-time moviegoers

• More!

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Saul Austerlitz and a piece by film scholar Lisa Stein that includes excerpts from Chaplin’s writing about his travels in 1931 and 1932

TITLE: Modern Times (BLU-RAY EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1957BD

UPC: 7-15515-06471-2

ISBN: 978-1-60465-351-9

TITLE: Modern Times (DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1958D

UPC: 7-15515-06481-1

ISBN: 978-1-60465-352-6

SRP: $29.95

AMERICA LOST AND FOUND: THE BBS STORY – BD out on 11/23 & DVD out on 12/14

HEAD

Hey, hey, it’s the Monkees . . . being catapulted through one of American cinema’s

most surreal sixties odysseys. In it, Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith,

and Peter Tork become trapped in a kaleidoscopic satire that’s movie homage,

media send-up, concert movie, and antiwar cry all at once. Head escaped

commercial success on its release but has since been reclaimed as one of the great

cult objects of its era.

1968 • 85 minutes • Color • Monaural/Surround • 1.78:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and

uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary featuring Monkees Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork

• New video interview with director Bob Rafelson

• New documentary about BBS, featuring critic David Thomson and historian

Douglas Brinkley

• More!

EASY RIDER

This is the definitive counterculture blockbuster. The former clean-cut teen star

Dennis Hopper’s down-and-dirty directorial debut, Easy Rider heralded the arrival of

a new voice in film, one planted firmly, angrily against the mainstream. After Easy

Rider’s cross-country journey—with its radical, New Wave–style editing, outsider-

rock soundtrack, revelatory performance by a young Jack Nicholson, and explosive

ending—the American road trip would never be the same.

1969 • 96 minutes • Color • Surround • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary featuring director Dennis Hopper

• Easy Rider: Shaking the Cage, a 1999 documentary featuring behind-the-scenes

footage

• Footage of Hopper and star Peter Fonda at Cannes in 1969

• New video interview with BBS’s Steve Blauner

• More!

FIVE EASY PIECES

Jack Nicholson plays the now iconic cad Bobby Dupea, a shiftless thirtysomething

oil rigger and former piano prodigy immune to any sense of romantic or familial

responsibility, who returns to his childhood home to see his ailing estranged father,

his blue-collar girlfriend (Karen Black, like Nicholson nominated for an Oscar) in tow.

Moving in its simplicity and gritty in its textures, Bob Rafelson’s Five Easy Pieces is a

lasting example of early 1970s American alienation.

1970 • 98 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural

• Audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson and interior designer Toby

Rafelson

• Soul Searching in Five Easy Pieces, a 2009 video piece in which Rafelson discusses

the film

• BBStory, a 2009 documentary

• Excerpts from an audio recording of Rafelson at the American Film Institute in 1976

DRIVE, HE SAID

Based on the best-selling novel by Jeremy Larner, Drive, He Said is free-spirited and

sobering by turns, a sketch of the exploits of a disaffected college basketball player

and his increasingly radical roommate, a feverishly shot and edited snapshot of the

early seventies (some of it was filmed during an actual campus protest). Jack

Nicholson’s audacious comedy (starring Bruce Dern and Karen Black) is a startling

howl direct from the zeitgeist.

1970 • 90 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• A Cautionary Tale of Campus Revolution and Sexual Freedom, a 2009 video piece

in which director Jack Nicholson discusses the experience of making this film

• Theatrical trailer

• More!

A SAFE PLACE

In this delicate, introspective drama, laced with fantasy elements, Tuesday Weld

stars as a fragile young woman in New York unable to reconcile her ambiguous past

with her unmoored present; Orson Welles as an enchanting Central Park magician

and Jack Nicholson as a mysterious ex-lover round out the cast. A Safe Place was

directed by independent cinema icon Henry Jaglom.

1971 • 92 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• Audio commentary featuring director Henry Jaglom

• Henry Jaglom Finds “A Safe Place,” a 2009 video piece in which the director

discusses the film

• Notes on the New York Film Festival, a 1971 video piece featuring an interview

conducted by critic Molly Haskell with directors Peter Bogdanovich and Jaglom

about their films The Last Picture Show and A Safe Place

• Deleted scene and screen tests

• Theatrical trailer

THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

The Last Picture Show is one of the key films of the American cinema renaissance of

the seventies. Set during the early fifties in the loneliest Texas nowheresville to ever

dust up a movie screen, this aching portrait of a dying West, adapted from Larry

McMurtry’s novel, focuses on the daily shuffles of three futureless teens—enigmatic

Sonny (Timothy Bottoms), wayward jock Duane (Jeff Bridges), and desperate-to-

be-adored rich girl Jacy (Cybil Shepherd)—and the aging lost souls who bump up

against them in the night like drifting tumbleweeds. This hushed depiction of

crumbling American values remains the pivotal film in the career of the invaluable

director and film historian Peter Bogdanovich.

1971 • 126 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• Two audio commentaries, one featuring director Peter Bogdanovich and the other

featuring Bogdanovich and actors Cybill Shepherd, Randy Quaid, Cloris Leachman,

and Frank Marshall

• Picture This, a 1990 documentary by George Hickenlooper

• “The Last Picture Show”: A Look Back, an hour-long 1999 documentary

• 2009 interview with Bogdanovich

• Screen tests and location footage

• Theatrical trailers and more!

THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS

For his electrifying follow-up to the smash success of Five Easy Pieces, Bob

Rafelson dug even deeper into the crushed dreams of wayward America. Jack

Nicholson and Bruce Dern play estranged siblings David and Jason, the former a

depressive late-night radio talk show host, the latter an extroverted con man; when

Jason drags his younger brother to a dreary Atlantic City and into a real-estate

scam, events spiral into tragedy.

1972 • 104 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

Special Features

• Selected-scene audio commentary featuring director Bob Rafelson

• Reflections of a Philosopher King, a 2009 documentary about the making of the film

• Afterthoughts, a short 2002 documentary about the film, produced by Rafelson

• Theatrical trailer

TITLE: America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (BLU-RAY EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1948BD

UPC: 7-15515-06441-5

ISBN: 978-1-60465-348-9

SRP: $124.95

PREBOOK: 10/26/10

STREET: 11/23/10

TITLE: America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1959D

UPC: 7-15515-06581-8

ISBN: 978-1-60465-361-8

SRP: $99.95

PREBOOK: 11/16/10 *please note the later date for DVD only

STREET: 12/14/10 *please note the later date for DVD only

ANTICHRIST – BD & DVD

Lars von Trier (Europa, Breaking the Waves, Dancer in the Dark) shook up the film world when he premiered Antichrist at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival. In this graphic psychodrama, a grief-stricken man and woman—a searing Willem Dafoe (Platoon, The Last Temptation of Christ) and Cannes best actress Charlotte Gainsbourg (Jane Eyre, 21 Grams)—retreat to a cabin deep in the woods after the accidental death of their infant son, only to find terror and violence at the hands of nature and, ultimately, each other. But this most confrontational work yet from one of contemporary cinema’s most controversial artists is no mere provocation. It is a visually sublime, emotionally ravaging journey to the darkest corners of the possessed human mind; a disturbing battle of the sexes that pits rational psychology against age-old superstition; and a profoundly effective horror film.

2009 • 108 minutes • Color/Black & White • Surround • 2.35:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Lars von Trier and supervised by director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition

• Audio commentary by von Trier and professor Murray Smith

• Video interviews with von Trier and actors Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg

• A collection of video pieces delving into the production of Antichrist, including interviews with von Trier and key members of his filmmaking team as well as behind-the-scenes footage

• Chaos Reigns at the Cannes Film Festival 2009, a documentary on the film’s world premiere, plus press interviews with Dafoe and Gainsbourg

• Three theatrical trailers

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Ian Christie

TITLE: Antichrist (BLU-RAY EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1937BD

UPC: 7-15515-06351-7

ISBN: 978-1-60465-335-9

PREBOOK: 10/12/10

STREET: 11/9/10

TITLE: Antichrist (DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO: CC1938D

UPC: 7-15515-06361-6

ISBN: 978-1-60465-336-6

SRP: $29.95

PREBOOK: 10/12/10

STREET: 11/9/10

November is fast becoming the new October....

Bridge on the River Kwai

Goonies

Doctor Who: Series 5

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Antichrist (Criterion)

The Pacific

White Christmas

Toy Story 3

Modern Times (Criterion)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935 version)

Deadwood

Night of the Hunter (Criterion)

Twilight Zone: s2

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story (Criterion box set)

Avatar: Ultra Hyper Mega double-Extended Edition and Metropolis are expected in November, but have yet to be formally announced and dated.

No real announcements of note for December yet at all.... although we're supposed to get Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 which are biggies for me. I guess Inception will hit in Dec too.

Metropolis has now been announced for the 16th of November.

2z8p9n4.jpg

Blu-ray Features:

- Original 1927 score by Gottfried Huppertz, performed by the Rundfunk Symphony Orchestra, Berlin, conducted by Frank Strobel presented in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1

- Limited Edition Collectible 3-D Lenticuar Box Packaging

- HD Video: 1920 x 1080p

- Voyage to Metropolis, a 50-minute documentary on the making and restoration of the film (presented in HD)

- Interview with Paula Felix-Didier, curator of the Museo del Cine, Buenos Aires, where the missing footage was discovered

- 2010 re-release trailer

I'm waiting for the UK Masters of Cinema version which should arrive around the same time and it ought to be region free.

blut.png

- Special-edition packaging with lavish wraparound sleeve and embossed printing

- Newly translated optional English subtitles

- Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum

- Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010) documentary about the film

- 56-page booklet featuring new essays, archival interviews, vintage production stills

......and more

Disney "dropped the ball" on Fantasia by the looks of it. It's not part of the Diamond Collection as initially announced, most of the previous DVD video extras are relegated to streaming BD-Live content, and the only lengthy supplements are the Destino content on the Fantasia 2000 discs. Must haves for me as Fantasia is one of my all time favourite films, but it's not going to end up one of the year's definitive releases of a classic like I had hoped for. At least the A/V should deliver.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Fantasia & Fantasia 2000: 2-Movie Collection Special Edition on 30th November 2010. Available on 4-disc Blu-ray Combo Pack ($45.99 SRP) and 2-Disc DVD ($39.99 SRP) for a limited time only, features are outlined below…

Fantasia Blu-ray Bonus Features:

•  
  • New Audio Commentary with Disney historian Brian Sibley
  • Disney Family Museum (running time: approx. 5 minutes) – Walt’s daughter Diane Disney-Miller takes viewers on a tour of the new Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, California featuring a very large exhibit on Fantasia and most importantly, the Schultheis notebook with long lost Fantasia production notes found in more recent years in the walls of a convent.
  • Disney View – This viewing mode maximizes the Blu-ray viewing experience with a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. Original artwork created by a Disney artist, in a style that complements the beauty of the film.
  • The Shultheis Notebook: A Disney Treasure (running time: approx. 14 minutes) –An in depth look at the recently discovered Schultheis Notebook. The detailed log was created by Herman Schultheis, an effects man on Fantasia, and intricately breaks down the film from a technical view. Many of the special effects used in Fantasia were a mystery to modern day animators until this notebook was recovered.
  • Interactive Art Gallery and Screensavers – Viewers can explore the artwork of Fantasia as never before, in HD resolution with unique Blu-ray interactivity and programming.
  • Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection with executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, animation historian John Canemaker, and Scott McQueen, manager of film restoration, audio commentary with interviews and story note recreations by Walt Disney, hosted by John Canemaker.

Fantasia 2000 Blu-ray Bonus Features:

•  
  • Musicana – Walt’s Inspiration for a Sequel (running time: approx. 10 minutes) – This documentary reveals rarely-seen art created for Musicana, a late 1970’s project intended as a Fantasia sequel with a focus on exploring other cultures via their greatest musical compositions. Viewers are offered a look at the origins of pieces that were started by Walt, such as “The Emperor and the Nightingale” which was then taken over by a very young John Lasseter. Ultimately, Musicana was stopped to begin production on “Mickey’s Christmas Carol,” but the memories of this piece still live on with the animators who conceived it.
  • Dali & Disney: A Date With Destino (running time: 82 minutes) – This feature length documentary explores the collaborative relationship between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali, revealing how and why the Destino short came to fruition under the lead of Roy E. Disney in 2003 so many years after its inception in 1946.
  • Destino (running time: approx. 7 minutes) – The legacy of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali lives on in this highly anticipated short film.
  • Disney’s Virtual Vault -- BD-Live Feature
  • Original DVD Bonus Features from Legacy Collection
  • Audio Commentaries from Fantasia Legacy Collection (total running time: 84 minutes) with executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, and producer Don Ernst, audio commentary with the directors and art directors for each segment.

Tech Specs:

Fantasia - 1.33:1, Fantasia 2000 - 1.78:1

BD: English 7.1 DTS-HD MA; French and Spanish 5.1 DEHT*

English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/73013/fantasia-and-fantasia-2000-r1us-bd-in-november.html