LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

There's a barebones (presumably theatrical cut) 3D edition that will be exclusive to Panasonic 3DTV purchases later this year apparently. Like most SS3D releases you need to buy a dozen different players and TVs just to build some sort of collection due to exclusive packs ins. They'll never learn....

I'm actually looking forward to that 3 disc edition.

Used the $10 coupon and picked up Beaty and the Beast blu-ray at Best Buy for $15 +tax. One of my favorite Disney movies.

yep it was an incredible disc. Watched it last night.

We went to pick it up at walmart and refused the Buena vista coupon, got there as fast as we could. Got it at target instead.

Movie night for the kiddos yesterday...At -5dB reference level :)

Got The Exorcist and Beauty and the Beast yesterday. Will be watching The Exorcist later today after I get the new projector set up and running.

We went to pick it up at walmart and refused the Buena vista coupon, got there as fast as we could. Got it at target instead.

Movie night for the kiddos yesterday...At -5dB reference level :)

Ah yes... Walmart...

I was once refused an alcohol purchase because my wife did not have her ID with her - even though I did... Amazing...

The forthcoming UK Blu-ray release of Battle Royale will include both cuts and be limited to 5000 copies:

A couple of months back, Ard posted some great news about Kinji Fukasaku's final masterpiece Battle Royale coming to Blu-ray from our friends at Arrow Video. It was all true, but what hasn't been confirmed are any kind of details at all about the release. Well, I've been pushing on Fran over at Arrow to give me something juicy exclusively for Twitch readers and I managed to get an exclusive for you!

Arrow Video will be releasing BOTH CUTS of Battle Royale in high definition from brand new restorations of their own on November 29th! This will be the very first Blu-ray release of either edition! It is sure to blow away the available editions as far as picture and sound quality go, as well as the fact that the UK had previously only had access to a less than stellar NTSC-PAL conversion of the director's cut, which is the one I own. To get both cuts, each on their own Blu-ray disc is great news! Oh, but it doesn't end there!

Fran has also told us that Battle Royale will be available in a limited pressing of 5000 individually numbered units! Arrow Video will also be including some nifty limited edition exclusive extras which I cannot yet divulge, but trust me, it will be well worth your money! Fran tells me that this is no cash grab fakey limited edition, once the 5000 are gone, there will be no more printed, so get your orders in now!!!

Region coding TBA.

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/10/video-home-invasion-arrow-video-and-the-battle-royale.php

The forthcoming UK Blu-ray release of Battle Royale will include both cuts and be limited to 5000 copies:

Region coding TBA.

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/10/video-home-invasion-arrow-video-and-the-battle-royale.php

Is there a regular edition of BD? Because I have the Arrow "Special Edition" version preordered for 15GBP at Amazon.co.uk and that sounds waaay cheap for something so limited.

As for region coding... Arrow codes more than they don't code. Bless my region-free HTPC.

Can't wait to get the Metropolis Steelbook I have preorderd from Amazon.co.uk as well. :)

metropolis03-550x602.jpg

Rob, I have it ordered at Amazon too and as far as I know the 3 disc edition that most retailers have for £15.99 IS the limited 5000 copy edition. The regular edition will not follow until a later date.

Apocalypse Now comes out tomorrow on Blu-Ray and I'm picking up the Three-Disc Full Disclosure Edition which includes the 2 versions of the film and the documentary about it. Apocalypse Now / Apocalypse Now Redux / Hearts of Darkness

I received Psycho this afternoon! I'll be getting a viewing in this evening for sure.

I was shocked to read that the US disc did, in the end, turn out differently to the UK one. The US one drops the Lambs to the Slaughter ep of Alfred Hitchcock presents, replaces the 2.0 DTS HD MA track for a lossy one and sports a slightly lower bitrate apparently. This, combined with their shoddy Back to the Future "restoration" officially proves that Universal make no sense!

This, combined with their shoddy Back to the Future "restoration" officially proves tha

how bad is it?

Over sharpened and frequently "digital" looking as a result (imagine what an image looks like when you amp up the sharpness to max on you TV settings). Don't know if 2 and 3 fared any better.

Picked up Rocky Horror Picture Show and Moulin Rouge at Best Buy during my lunch break (they're both $18.99 for in-store pickup, FYI).

Rocky Horror is a digibook (Fox's first, IIRC) which I did not expect. Very light on text though... mostly pictures. Some may not like that the disc is not in a hub but is in a cardboard holder, but I don't mind (with blu-ray it doesn't really much matter with their anti-scratch coating). The disc looks absolutely gorgeous though. Watching the Shadowcast PIP mode right now: they try REALLY hard to capture the feeling of being there live. Although the feeling of eating out of a girls' mouth (which is what they made me do a looong time ago at my first Rocky Horror shadowcast experience) just isn't there ;) 4k Restoration is wonderful. No DNR to be seen. It's reference quality. They also included a 7.1 (yes, 7.1) DTS-Master Audio track on there that is a great improvement over the previous disc. Been hearing things I've never noticed before.

Moulin Rouge is just perfect. Deeper colours (the reds in particular)... thumping audio track. Holy. Schnikes. Nice to have a DTS track (MA) that's in sync with the picture (did they ever fix that on the DVD? heh). For the slipcover whore (which I am) it comes with a very shiny one.

Love the Predators slipcover, btw. Almost got that too until I shreiked at the $25 pricetag. :)

Moulin Rouge is on the way to me. I saw some screencaps from Rocky Horror and, indeed, that looks wonderful. It's looking like a solid 4th quarter for quality catalogue releases from Fox. I'm excited about The Sound of Music.

I thought Last of the Mohicans turned out well. Darker than it has ever been on home video, but it's very film like.

This, combined with their shoddy Back to the Future "restoration" officially proves that Universal make no sense!

Dan, did you read this on a site? If so, does it go more in-depth? Link? I've read 3-4 reviews on-line and all praise the restoration. :unsure:

I've not had a chance to see if the AVS hounds have caught hold of it yet. The first one has been back in UK cinemas for the last two weeks and - I can only assume - the Blu comes from the same remaster (seeing as it's back in DLP cinemas as part of the anniversary promotion). It's not horrible, just patchy and inconsistent.

*edit* Blu-ray.com has some screenshots;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Back-to-the-Future-25th-Anniversary-Trilogy-Blu-ray/9152/#Screenshots

Fox with the camera next to Lloyd with the remote is one of the clearest examples of sharpening (and perhaps even a little contrast boosting?). Again it just reminds me of what you get if you ramp up sharpness in your TV settings. Lloyd looking at his watch at the clock tower, his skin looks a touch pasty as if they sucked a lot of grain out of the image only to add a layer of fake grain back to preserve "authenticity"... Whether that is the case or not I don't know, but it's that kind of harsh and muddy look a lot of this manipulation seems to deliver.

Compare it to, say, the BD of The Breakfast Club (same vintage, same studio doing the mastering) and the results are consistently natural and film like with an accurate degree of sharpness/softness (as I wrote above... Universal make no sense).

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Breakfast-Club-Blu-ray/11115/#Screenshots

The more popular and valued the catalogue title the more I think we need to worry as in my opinion they meddled with BTTF far more than they needed to. It's not an old movie and the original elements ought to be in decent shape. I'm not even sure they went back to original elements as I don't recall there being any publicity discussing a full blown restoration (I'll see what I can dig up). They may have taken the existing HD master and worked on that.

Picked up Predators and Rocky Horror. Both are fantastic discs. Rocky Horror does indeed look stellar.

Oh and Psycho was jaw dropping. :)

Picked up Predators and Rocky Horror. Both are fantastic discs. Rocky Horror does indeed look stellar.

Oh and Psycho was jaw dropping. :)

Grabbed the UK edition today. Steelbook version was still quite easy to source (Amazon UK are out though if anyone was looking to import).

Battle Royale specs:

3 DISC LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY SET FEATURES:

- BRAND NEW RESTORED TRANSFER IN GLORIOUS HIGH DEFINITION 1080P OF BOTH FILMS

- BRAND NEW SUBTITLE TRANSLATION ON BOTH FEATURES

- LIMITED EDITION PACKAGING NUMBERED #/5000 WITH CERTIFICATE

- LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL FEATURES

DISC 1 – THEATRICAL CUT: SPECIAL FEATURES

- ORIGINAL THEATRICAL TRAILER

- THE MAKING OF BATTLE ROYALE: THE EXPERIENCE OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

- CONDUCTING BATTLE ROYALE WITH THE WARSAW NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA

DISC 2 – SPECIAL EDITION [DIRECTOR’S CUT]: SPECIAL FEATURES

- SPECIAL EDITION TRAILER

- TV SPOT: TARANTINO VERSION

- SHOOTING THE SPECIAL EDITION

- TAKESHI KITANO INTERVIEW

- THE CORRECT WAY TO MAKE BATTLE ROYALE [bIRTHDAY VERION]

- TOKYO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL PRESENTATION

DISC 3 – SPECIAL FEATURES

- OPENING DAY AT MARU NO UCHI TOEI MOVIE THEATRE

- THE SLAUGHTER OF 42 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS

- PREMIERE PRESS CONFERENCE

- THE CORRECT WAY TO FIGHT IN BATTLE ROYALE

- ROYALE REHEARSALS

- MASAMICHI AMANO CONDUCTS BATTLE ROYALE

SPECIAL EFFECTS COMPARISON

- BEHIND THE SCENES FEATURETTE

- FILMING ON SET

- TV SPOTS, PROMOS AND COMMERCIALS

- KINJI FUKASAKU TRAILER REEL

36 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:

- ‘A BATTLE WITHOUT AN END’ BY TOM MES, AUTHOR OF ‘THE MIDNIGHT EYE GUIDE TO NEW JAPANESE FILM’

- PRINTED INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR KINJI FUKASAKU

- ‘TODAY’S LESSON IS... YOU KILL EACH OTHER’ BY JAY MCROY, AUTHOR OF ‘JAPANESE HORROR CINEMA’ [LE EXCLUSIVE]

- EXTRACT FROM KOUSHUN TAKAMI’S ORIGINAL NOVEL [LE EXCLUSIVE]

- ORIGINAL PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL INCLUDING DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT, CAST AND CREW BIOGS [LE EXCLUSIVE]

16 PAGE BOOKLET INCLUDING:

- CONCEPT ARTWORK AND DRAWINGS FOR THE LIMITED EDITION SET [LE EXCLUSIVE]

5X7” POSTCARDS OF STILLS FROM THE FILM [LE EXCLUSIVE]

FOLD-OUT REVERSIBLE POSTER OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-video-titles-past-present-future/3799-arrow-video-battle-royale-dvd-blu-ray-specs.html#post109076

And it will be region free (no note on whether the extras will be 50hz though).