LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Soundtracks, Soundtracks, Soundtracks

So, with a view some of us have had to generating more discussion topics I've felt compelled to split off soundtrack/film score discussion from the main music thread and give them their own home. 2010 has been a remarkably shite year for new, quality, film scores (with the bulk of the best releases being catalogue announcements from Filmscore monthly, Intrada et al).

One new score I am looking forward to however is Alexandre Desplat's score for Harry Potter (his first, and perhaps only, contribution to the series as it remains a mystery whether he is signed to score pt2 of the final movie). It's still lacking a track listing, but out of nowhere an elaborate $84 four-disc gift set edition has cropped up on Amazon.

4t67fr.jpg

A complete score release would be impressive, but I'm not convinced. Most curious.

Oh wow, that's lovely. Not looking forward to much on the film score front to be frank. Mansell's score for The Black Swan is high on my list.

I'm not even sure the score to Black Swan is getting a release, Romier (or indeed how much music was written for the film. There may well be very little original score). I've heard nothing on the CD or itunes front about it. :unsure: I read once that he was really looking to dissect Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake as the blueprint for the music which is something I'd certainly love to hear.

Amazon have updated their Potter 7 score page with the details on the Collector's Edition contents:

- Individually numbered Certificate of Authenticity

- PremierCell Presentation of high quality film photography on heavy cardstock featuring two 35MM film cells cut from the movie reel. Comes with attachable easel.

- 7 inch double sided picture Vinyl Disc with score from the movie

- DVD with 5.1 audio mix of Alexandre Desplat s score and a

7 minute video featurette of the scoring session, along with

interviews with Composer Alexandre Desplat and Producers David Heyman and David Barron.

- Movie Poster

- Orchestral Sheet Music from recording session at Abbey Road Studios signed by Alexandre Desplat

- Soundtrack on CD

- 2nd CD with additional score

i'm a big Desplat fan (and he has had a remarkably prolific year) so it's likely I will pick up this edition. No UK pre-order for it yet, though.

Deathly Hallows tracklist:

1. Obliviate 03:02

2. Snape to Malfoy Manor 01:58

3. Polyjuice Potion 03:32

4. Sky Battle 03:49

5. At The Burrow 02:35

6. Harry and Ginny 01:44

7. The Will 03:39

8. Death Eaters 03:15

9. Dobby 03:49

10. Ministry of Magic 01:46

11. Detonators 02:23

12. The Locket 01:52

13. Fireplaces Escape 02:55

14. Ron Leaves 02:36

15. The Exodus 01:38

16. Godric's Hollow Graveyard 03:15

17. Bathilda Bagshot 03:54

18. Hermione's Parents 05:51

19. Destroying the Locket 01:11

20. Ron's Speech 02:17

21. Lovegood 03:28

22. The Deathly Hallows 03:18

23. Captured and Tortured 02:57

24. Rescuing Hermione 01:51

25. Farewell to Dobby 03:44

26. The Elder Wand 01:37

A nice 74 minutes (and that's just the regular album).

Samples:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00494M52O/

Sounding very nice indeed, Mr Desplat!

I'm digging the scores for two of Aronofsky's films Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain. Any other Mansell scores you guys like?

Somehow, I've missed that the Who soundtrack was coming. Right, wishlisted now. Worth it for "The Sad Man With A Box" alone, frankly. I get all weepy just thinking about that scene.

I see what you mean about the year's scores, though; my favourite by far is the 2-disc set of music in Shutter Island, none of which was actually written for it.

Somehow, I've missed that the Who soundtrack was coming. Right, wishlisted now. Worth it for "The Sad Man With A Box" alone, frankly. I get all weepy just thinking about that scene.

It's under £9 on Amazon which for a two-disc set is great. I mentioned in the Who thread that this will be the first Gold score since he began working on the series that I am actually looking forward to listening to from beginning to end. He really dropped the brashness of his writing for the most part under Moffat and I'm so glad it's a two-disc album as there really are a lot of great cues that, prior to the announcement, I feared might never see the light of day. I listened to the two-disc album for the Tennant specials recently and by comparison I think - by and large - it's downright irritating noise.

"Can I come with you" is going to be a joy to have (and had it been a single disc album a cue that probably would not have made the cut). That was the moment when I realised the tone of the new series was different in the best possible way. That whole "am I people? Do I even look like people?" bit, and the lovely, haunting and magical piece of choir accompaniment as Amelia marvels at the Doctor diving into the TARDIS and the the box disappearing before her eyes. Acting, lighting, direction and music came together more in that one moment alone than it ever did in any prior series. Brilliant.

The only annoyance with series5 score release is two bloody iTunes exclusive bonus tracks - one of which is that terrific final cue from Amy's Choice. You can only get them, officially, by paying for the entire album download rather than the tracks individually. Grrr...

I see what you mean about the year's scores, though; my favourite by far is the 2-disc set of music in Shutter Island, none of which was actually written for it.

I quite agree. It's a wonderful compilation of music.

Having er... previewed the Doctor Who: Series 5 album I have to say that my appreciation for Gold's work this year is even greater having now heard so many of the best cues free of the dialogue and sound effects that often buried it in the show. There's some repetition with the Doctor's theme, but as a whole the music absolutely justifies receiving a two-disc release. The first eleven tracks (ten if you don't count the new title theme) from The Eleventh Hour represents some of the best scoring for British TV I've heard in a very long time. Comparing s5 to pervious series I have a hard time believing it is the same composer at times.

Silva are having to re-press disc 1 from Doctor Who due to a mastering glitch in track 9 (present in the download version I have too, but they should be able to fix that sooner). They seem to be on the ball about it. It'll be CD copy for me just as soon as I know I'll be getting a corrected copy. It's not officially out until Monday so Amazon and the like may delay it until they receive new stock.

51gDbmiUMIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Nina's

2. Mother Me

3. The New Season

4. A Room of Her Own

5. A New Swan Queen

6. Lose Yourself

7. Cruel Mistress

8. Power, Seduction, Cries

9. The Double

10. Opposites Attract

11. Night of Terror

12. Stumbled Beginnings...

13. It's My Time

14. A Swan Is Born

15. Perfection

16. A Swan Song (for Nina)

30th of November, AND on CD!

David Arnold takes over Narnia scoring duties:

61xIlfga8rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Opening Titles

2. The Painting

3. High King & Queen Of Narnia

4. Reepi Cheep

5. Land Ahoy

6. The Lone Island

7. Lord Berne

8. The Green Mist

9. Market Forces

10. 1st Sword

11. Eustace On Deck

12. Duel

13. The Magician's Island

14. Lucy & The Invisible Mansion

15. Coraikin And The Map

16. Temptation of Lucy

17. Aslan Appears

18. The Golden Cavern

19. Temptation of Edmund

20. Dragon's Treasure

21. Dragon Attack

22. Under The Stars

23. Blue Star

24. Aslan's Table

25. Liliandill And Dark Island

26. The Calm Before The Storm

27. Into Battle

28. Sweet Water

29. Ship To Shore

30. Time To Go Home

Sound clips here. I'm liking what I hear.

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1562/wieder-unterwegs-in-narnia-the-chronicles-of-narnia-the-voyage-of-the-dawn-treader-von-david-arnold

Danny Elfman's score to The Next Three Days comes out on Tuesday:

61X4prSRQiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sound clips here:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Motion-Picture-Next-Three/dp/B004BTIWME/ref=tmm_other_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1289665240&sr=1-27

I'm looking forward to this one, but it's a fucking made on demand CDR from Amazon for those of us wanting a hard copy. This is becoming a disturbing trend with some film scores on CD these days. There's a chance that in may get a proper pressing in Europe. I hope so.

SO happy to see Black Swan is getting a CD release. Thanks, Daniel!

I'm really liking what I'm hearing of that David Arnold Narnia score as well. I'm really glad that Arnold integrated the established main theme into his music (most readily apparent in "High King and Queen of Narnia") as it's a wonderful piece of music IMHO.

That was a nice touch, I agree. I wondered if he would given that the third is coming from a different studio and a different director (not to mention composer). I didn't like the first film much, and never saw the sequel. Highly unlikely I will see this one for years until it shows up on TV someday, but I will be buying the CD. It's nice having some good new film scores to end the year with.

The first film is "eh" at best. I really enjoyed the second though. Thought it was a more cohesive experience if flawed. I'm looking forward to third.

Black swan definitely, but I havent seen any narnia before, so not sure about that. Is The Next Three Days the sequel to The Day After Tomorrow? I've not heard of it.