LCVG
Rob B

World Of Warcraft

I'll post my thoughts and views on Mists of Panderia and the general state of WoW later. I figure I need to put them down somewhere.

I have't picked it up yet, too many other things going on, not sure if i'll be able to play, but I 'm curious about your impressions

Some background info:

I've been playing this game since near the end of The Burning Crusade expansion. So while I don't have the say of someone who as been playing since Beta, I can honestly say I've been with this game for quite a while. And a lot has changed. And in my opinion, there are more improvements than steps backwards. And beginning with Cata, I became an altaholic. I don't burn through content. I refuse to. I would rather consume content at my own pace. I will read quest text.

Questing

You're still going to need to kill X or gather Y number of materials. Having said that, the structure is much improved from Cata. Instead of one singular, focused narrative you have branching points. There is still an overall narrative to each zone, but the side stories are entertaining. Pandaria reminds me of a hybrid between what Woltk and Cata tried to accomplish.

Lore

I think this is one of MoP's greatest strengths. There's little artifacts scattered all throughout the continent that really give insight into the ecology and culture of the place. A podcast brought this point up, but it's probably worth mentioning: Pandaria is the first time Blizzard made a place where it looks like people actually live in. This is what I think makes Pandaria awesome. There is living that is going on beyond the conflicts of the factions between Horde and Alliance. Valley of the Four Winds is a good place to take a look at this.

And thematically speaking while certain things remain the same, MoP did a good job at looking at something besides Old Gods, Titans, and the Burning Legion. And if you love Chen Stormstout from Warcraft III, you'll love Panderan culture.

Endgame

One of the things that changed with this xpac was the reputation grind. Tabards no longer give rep. This is more along the lines of vanilla/BC. The daily limit of 25 has been lifted. But there are a shit ton of dailies to do across the entire continent, a lot of them not having to do with the raiding game.

And I haven't even touched pet battles yet. People in my guild really dig it.

Summary

I still enjoy this game. I feel like there's a ton of content for me to do. And I still haven't played a warlock, hunter, or rogue. And I still haven't played Horde side.

I see a few folks that I remember still kicking around the forum. Personally, I know I've been away for a long time. I wanted to check back in to see if anyone is still playing WoW? I've been playing Mists since release. I've got a priest at 90, and then I leveled a monk to 90 as well. My monk is on a backwater PvP server. This presents some opportunities, particulary the fact that there is little competition for rare mobs. I have killed the horde rares in the Dominance area a number of times and even though my DPS is not very good and it takes a few tries, I'm not normally interrupted. I've also been gathering up world rares as few folks seem to be going after them.

I'm in a guild that is level 25 and offers all the perks, but there are few active members and no organized events. I'd love to get into challenge modes, but my gear isn't great, and with no one to play with I have no desire to really work on it. Are any of you active? Do you have a good guild? I might be interested in a server transfer if the case is compelling enough. Currently I'm playing Alliance side.

Hope you've all been well.

Still playing, though its limited to leveling my monk right now, have a 90 DK as well, Monk is 82, hope to have him to 90 in a few weeks and can start getting into end-game content.

Bueller?  Bueller?

I'm purchasing the Collector's Edition because fuck I love Blizzard collector's editions, but I think I'm only going to play one cycle with this game.  I think I'm going Horde this time because I generally don't play Horde.

I started playing again last week after an almost 2 year absence. I feel like I missed out on a LOT in Pandaria but am glad to start again when things are essentially reset.

I bought the the digital collectors edition. If I get into it again I guess I'll stop posting here again soon.

Only played a couple hours last night but so far have been very impressed with how cinematic the questing is in this one.

Also played the first dungeon which was stupid easy with the group I was with. Hopefully the heroics will be a bit more of a challenge.

So far the expansion is great. It is very different from the previous WoW experience. The quest lines in Draenor actually are part of chapters for each Zone. The production factor has always been high, but they have added little things like scrolling a main character/enemies name on the screen when they appear, ala Borderlands. The Garrison stuff I am really just getting in to. You earn characters that you can send out on missions, ala Assassin's Creed, and they can bring back gear, XP, or resources for you Garrison. You also unlock abilities as you upgrade your Garrison. Get your stables leveled up and you get faster mount speeds in Draenor and I believe you can even get better mounts.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many changes that I think are great for the game and it has brought me back in. I'm not playing like I did 5 years ago when that was all I played, but playing a couple days of week (great game to play while football or hockey is on) has been an absolute joy. Looking forward to getting into some of the new instances as well.

I'm starting from scratch personally.  I've never played Horde side for a consistently long time, and I'm rolling a female Troll Warlock.  I love weird combos like that.

WOW has consumed my gaming life again. Really liking the questing and the garrisons. The dungeons (I've only unlocked 3 so far) are fun also and while the loot system in LFG may be less dramatic, it is a lot less stressful.

FYI for anyone considering getting back in, all accounts are upgraded to Mists of Pandaria. So even if you got out during Burning Crusade, you can play up to 90 by just reupping and all you need to buy is Warlords (and you get the 90 character).

I've been back in the game heavily, much to the detriment of my Destiny character.  Blizzard really hit this one out of the park, barring the launch day(s) issues.

Dean, how are you finding Aerie Peak? I'm considering a move there to join another community guild.

No issues so far. All my other characters are Horde on Durotan, so I am getting use to Alliance. Community itself has been pretty good though during questing. People are randomly helping each other, etc. Its also got a pretty good size population as well.

Also, for anyone that might be considering trying WoW for the first time, the base game and all expansions up through Mists of Pandaria are on sale from the battle.net site for $4.99

So they introduced Time Walking dungeons.  Your gear scales down to the appropriate level.  Right now running BC era dungeons and.... so many wipes. lol

Yeah, BC actually required players to use their abilities appropriatey and CC, etc.  You can't just zerg those fuckers...

And as always, I purchase the CE for a WoW expansion.  But I think I'm going to wait this time on when I go back to WoW.  There's so much console/PC non WoW gaming I want to do.