LCVG
Rob B

World Of Warcraft

I had to laugh at today's expansion pack announcement.

They finally decided to add Pandaren, which were an April Fool's joke for years, and they ripped off pokemon for the mini-pets.

I honestly couldn't believe the whole press conference wasn't a joke, but I guess enough regular players are excited for it judging by the forums. More power to 'em.

Don't judge it until you've seen the announcement trailer. It may have started as a joke, but the Pandaren are nothing of the sort. They may end up being the most challenging race to play.

I'm one of the last remaining hardcore players around here, I guess, and I'm excited to see where this takes us...

I can't say I was particularly impressed by the Pandaren race/zones. It looks way too much like Kung Fu Panda.

I'm excited about the monk class though. I remember playing a monk in Everquest. Did they say if the monk class was specific to Pandarens?

I also like the idea of Pandarens starting off neutral and going Horde or Alliance based on their actions. It would be cool if they eventually did that for all races.

I'm not sure what to make of the new talent system. It almost seems like they are trying to make it simpler but they might as well just get rid of talents all together and just have you pick a talent tree (and leveling up automatically gives you the level-appropriate talents in that tree).

The part that made me cringe about talents was how they'll be letting players change mid-dungeon. Fine if your tank drops, but the hell that will be min/maxers going 'optimal spec' for specific things has the potential to be a total clusterfuck.

I can't say I was particularly impressed by the Pandaren race/zones. It looks way too much like Kung Fu Panda.

I'm excited about the monk class though. I remember playing a monk in Everquest. Did they say if the monk class was specific to Pandarens?

Other races will be permitted to roll Monk characters. I'm guessing there will be some perk to being a Pandaren Monk, though.

I also like the idea of Pandarens starting off neutral and going Horde or Alliance based on their actions. It would be cool if they eventually did that for all races.

My hope is for this, as well. I'd like to turn my rogue back into her original Orc form while still runnning with my Alliance guild.

I'm not sure what to make of the new talent system. It almost seems like they are trying to make it simpler but they might as well just get rid of talents all together and just have you pick a talent tree (and leveling up automatically gives you the level-appropriate talents in that tree).

The new talents definitely look interesting, but haven't had a chance to study them in-depth. I like the idea of not having to allocate nearly 80 levels worth of talent points, though.

The part that made me cringe about talents was how they'll be letting players change mid-dungeon. Fine if your tank drops, but the hell that will be min/maxers going 'optimal spec' for specific things has the potential to be a total clusterfuck.

I'm not sure exactly what this means. I'll have to look it up. How would that be any different than changing specs mid-dungeon?

I would have thought the Challenge Dungeons would pique the interest of those that were bemoaning the "gear over skill" mentality.

Well, this is swapping individual skills. Your spec is a set thing you can't adjust in great detail mid-dungeon.

I doubt WoW could do much that would bring me back at this point anyway, so ignore me ;). I just see the problem potential in some of what they're proposing.

It's not like I want to actively dislike WoW, but these days it is so far from the stuff we did back on Eredar so many moons ago that it isn't a game for me any more.

Yeah, there's always potential for douchebaggery with something like that. I've seen arguments for being able to change talents on a fight-by-fight basis depending on what you need for a particular raid boss that sound pretty good. I'm sure stuff like that will get the shit tested out of it in the beta.

There's a lot of stuff I don't miss from the old Eredar days. Single-handedly wiping 40-man raids, brewing my own poisons, running everywhere until level 40, etc. :)

After much deliberation and soul-searching, I decided to go back to WoW. Why? The reason is simple: I have yet to experience latter Cataclysm content. As an altaholic, I levelled all but three classes through the 1-60 content and thoroughly enjoyed it all. I love tanking, and I love the in's and out's of every class. I do not find that the classes play the same way. An arcane mage plays nothing like a fire mage, and an arcane mage plays nothing like a fury warrior.

However, Burning Crusade and Lich King content became a grind, and I quit to play some console gaming. I'm not here to change anybody's mind, but I'm simply providing my own reasons to continue playing this game. I don't play for the loot so to speak. I play for lore, mounts, pets, and plate bikini for my female alts.

I still find challenge in the game. I'm at the stage where I can finally enter heroic Cataclysm dungeons. They're fun. I think part of the challenge comes from the fact I pug every single one of them. I can go into heroics with guildies, but those guys are on PvP servers (I've been playing solo on a PvE server).

Biggest reason of all? I play Alliance side and have yet to experience Horde content.

With Kung-Fu Panda WoW may have just jumped the shark for me. As posted above I haven't played in a while, wasn't sure if I was going to go back, but after that expansion announcement I'm feeling even more "m'eh" about WoW.

Hoping my buddy J does a good job on SWTOR, will have to give that a spin and hope it has some staying power. In my limited gaming time lately I've been mostly playing NHL12 for xbox and LoL and haven't felt the pull of WoW in a while.

Roy

I logged out of WoW for the last time just under 2 months ago, I played since the beginning, it's been a great ride (lots of changes) and a very enjoyable game, but at this point its over for me and I wont be going back, I'm moving on to SWTOR for better or worse, SW is where my gaming heart is.

I don't mind the changes they made to gold. What I do mind is them making all the classes interchangeable and removing the skill element to a large degree from the game. Making it so gear could overcome most everything if you didn't have the ability to do so in the first place.

That's what killed it for me and gear was so easy to get too. I could have a level 80+ with decent gear in no time flat now. Buy some gold to accelerate that and it would be even easier. If you picked the right professions then it's even easier. JC'ers and Alchemists were making serious bank when I quit.

Well, if anyone out there is thinking about re-starting their WoW account, the new "Scroll of Resurrection" details are out:

If you use a SoR, you get the following:

One character boosted to level 80

FREE upgrade to Cataclysm

7 FREE days of game time

FREE character move to your realm and faction so you can play together (if necessary)

I can send a Scroll to anyone who wants one...

Someone sent me one out of the blue and I used it. I logged in and it took me 5 minutes to bring up my character sheet. Yeah, it's been a while.

So now I'm in Dalaraan stuck in a corner of the bank and nothing is really coming back. I'm a noob all over again.

I probably will, but likely not before I get a couple of my other toons to 90, waiting for the Wandering Isle area to clear out.

Anyone going to level a monk in mists? I may be interested in someone sending me RAF to power them to 80...

I might, but I have 7 other toons to level as well.

The optimizer will sit for a looooooooong time (like a half-hour or more) at 1 or 2% but then goes pretty quick. Dunno if that's what you're seeing, or if it's something else...