LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Spotify

Spotify is supposed to launch tomorrow, and word on the street is that it will be by invitation only. I put my email address in almost as soon as they set up their squeeze page, but I've heard that they are going to give the invites to current subscribers to dish out.

Would any of our friends in Europe with Spotify like to send me an invitation if you have them tomorrow? :wub: :wub: :wub:

New York, July 13, 2011 - Spotfy, the award-winning digital music service loved by millions of Europeans, will become available tomorrow morning in the United States by invitation and subscription. Spotify is a new way to listen to and manage your music, discover new tracks and share songs and playlists with friends – music whenever you want it, wherever you are. Be one of the first people in the U.S. to experience Spotify by signing up at www.spotify.com. Spotify will announce more details at 8:00 AM EST.

Would invitations work across the atlantic or will they be territorial? I do like Spotify. I run it on the desktop. It's a great way to preview songs and albums in their entirety before I decided whether to buy the CD. At least that's the use I get out of it. Others will enjoy a lot more.

Would invitations work across the atlantic or will they be territorial? I do like Spotify. I run it on the desktop. It's a great way to preview songs and albums in their entirety before I decided whether to buy the CD. At least that's the use I get out of it. Others will enjoy a lot more.

I figure they will just email the invites to those who gave their email address, but Im just covering my bases over a rumor I heard that they we're going to to a slow rollout by giving current subscribers invites to send out. We'll see in the morning!

I'm interested in this as an alternative to Pandora, which is my main source of music now, but I was disappointed to learn that you have to pay for the premium version of Spotify ($9/mo) to get it on your phone. I will try it out anyway, but most of my music-listening is done via my phone, either while commuting or running, so it won't be the Pandora-killer I was hoping for.

...er, not that I really want to kill Pandora, I love it, just looking for alternatives.

I have 2 invites left in you guys want to PM me your email addresses. You don't need an invite if you are planning to go with one of the paid plans.

I can already tell one thing I don't like about the service is that it's really hard to browse for music. You can search for anything, but discovery of new music is reliant upon following your friends' playlists and that's it.

Besides that, it's great.

I got an invitation. It's fast. I actually like that its an app and not in a browser like Google Music.

How do I know if I have invitations to give out?

Hmm, haven't gotten mine yet. Cam, can you send me an invitation if you have any left? I think you have my email already but I'll PM you anyway.

Signed up for premium to try out the mobile stuff. Seems to have better selection (for what I listen to) than Rdio. The playlists/library stuff seems cool too. Let me know if anyone still wants invites!

I'm not ready to pay for Spotify right now because I want to wait to see which service (Google Music, iCloud, Spotify or Amazon) fit my listening habits best.

I am on all three of the available services right now and just waiting for Apple to get theirs out. I will state that Spotify throws in horribly annoying commercials in the free version. They seem to pop up every 30 minutes or so and your currently playing playlist has to be re-started after the commercial. That's certainly their right to use audio commercials in the free service but it really pissed me off. I immediately switched to Google Music after the 2nd time it happened.

I love the ability to sample from a huge selection of music. That is simply not possible on any of the other services and is a fantastic win. However, I have found a lot of stuff not in the Spotify library. That surprised me.

Rdio has a free trial as well, and some people swear by it - their library may or may not cover your tastes better than Spotify.

I've been trying out MOG as well. They have a two week free trial. Off the top of my head, it seems the advantages to MOG over Spotify are that it's easier to browse for music, and they have a Pandora type feature that helps you discover similar music. You actually have a slider where you can pick an artist and choose between playing only that artist or a mixture of similar ones.

I love the sharing features in Spotify, but don't like the lack of discoverability outside of friends' playlists. There's also considerable chucks of my iTunes library not in Spotify, so I can't just make a playlist of all my songs and have them on the go. Im sure the same could be said of MOG , but I haven't checked it out as much yet.

So, at this point, Im kind of like Camp in trying everything out, but nothing seems to be a clear winner.

Is anyone having a problem with Spotify?

Almost 40-50% of songs i select don't play. Just dead air.

Right now, I hit my first commercial, and it's stuck on dead air... effectively locking up the program. Had to quit/reopen.

I finally decided to opt in to the pay version of Spotify. Anyone else on this?

The addition of apps and offline playlists (even mobile) just seems to make more sense than continually managing my own not-so-legally-sourced collection.  

Just curious if other Spotify users have recommendations for Spotify apps or external toys that might add to the experience.  I'd also like to know if anyone is streaming Spotify to PS3/Xbox 360 or other devices.  I'm rather hoping the Ouya will get a homebrew Spotify app at some point.  

I'm a paid Spotify user.  I do not even bother with my own music digital collection, still buy CDs though.  We use Sonos in our house for listening to music and it works great with Spotify.  In terms of Apps I haven't explored them really.