LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Tonner Cyn

Rocksmith (X360,PS3,PC)

Heck after practicing 10 hours, yeah my fingers would well numb too (like a robot) and I already have calluses :)

I think when you first start developing them though, yeah your fingers will either start to numb or you'll have throbbing pain. After a good month or two, that all fades away, you'll get some feeling back as it heals and hardens :)

Repetiton is the mother of skill.

I'm exactly 1/3 of the way through the 60 day Challenge, and I'm feeling more and more confident that I have developed a hobby that will bear fruit -- that I will become a bona fide guitar player and will continue to enjoy playing for years to come.

Thanks to external YouTube lessons, I understand scales and have started learning a few. I have started playing the Scale Warriors mini game, which is the most fun of them all so far.

Chords are no longer the enemy. Through sheer mind-numbing repetition, I have learned to form some chords with muscle memory, and it feels like a breakthrough. I've got 7 chords memorized so far, and switching between them gets a little more automatic with each practice session. The Castle ChorDead mini game in Rocksmith has become quite fun now that my fingers know what to do.

Rocksmith says I have spent 21 hours playing, but I know I have probably practiced another 30 hours out of the game.

Carlos.

Yesterday marked 30 days, the halfway point of the 60-day challenge.  Chords are getting easier, but changing among some of them is proving challenging still.  

I'm still using Rocksmith as a practice tool.  The lessons are good, but I supplement them all with a lot of YouTube vids and my own practice.  

I've been trying to do more of the "Learn a song" mode, playing along with Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'" mostly.  I just totally choke whenever I try to play along.   I can play on my own with what I've memorized and practiced, and do pretty well, but when I use the game and see that wall of chords and notes flying toward me, I just fall apart.  (same thing used to happen with Guitar Hero).  It's just a mental block that I need to overcome, and just relax and forget the visual cues and just play what I know comes next. 

My favorite riff right now is the rhythm riff from "Born Under a Bad Sign" by Albert King.  I've always loved that song, and being able to just continuously play that riff, embellishing some of the time, over and over, gives me no end of pleasure.  

30 more days, plus the rest of my life to go.  Mindful of my limitations, I think I'm on my way to becoming a decent campfire guitarist.  More importantly, I'm proving to myself that you can teach an old dog new tricks, and that is helping me feel young right now when I need it most.

Carlos.

Well, my 60 day-challenge streak ended last week.  My dad had to be hospitalized for a Upper GI bleeding ulcer.  Guys, if you see blood in your poop, that shit ain't normal! Literally.  He barely told us in time.  He had already lost so much blood they had to give him a bunch of blood transfusions after they fixed the bleed with an endoscopy.  I spent every night at the hospital with him for 7 straight days, to help him use the bedpans and go to the toilet once he was able. 

He's still in the hospital with an ileus that they hope will resolve on its own. But he's able to get up and go without assistance, so I don't think I'll need to spend the nights anymore.

So I haven't practiced much at all in the last week, but I was really yearning to, which is a good thing.  I did have about an hour of practice yesterday, just going over what I've already learned and memorized, and I was pleased that, despite the break in training, my muscle memory didn't immediately fade.  

Carlos.

Today makes my 70th day!  Besides the few days that I missed last month, I have practiced my ass off.   I'm to the point now where I feel like I'm actually making music most of the time, even if it's just some practice scales, riffs, and chords. 

I have NOT been relying on Rocksmith at all though.  I think I need another few months of "getting good" before I go back to it.  It's too forgiving on crappy playing, and I want to hear just myself playing for now to know I'm getting everything right.  

I bought a better Amp for my electric guitar, the Line 6 Spider Jam, feature rich for practice and allows for recording/playback.  It also seems a huge bargain at that price.  I've learned the really simple riff from HoneyBee by Tom Petty, which gives me the grins just because it sounds so freaking cool with the distortion way up.

But mostly I'm practicing with my acoustic.  It's much harder to get the notes/chords right on my acoustic than on electric.  I'm not sure if that's because it's crappy or that's just the way they all are.  But, I figure if I can play stuff right on that, the electric will come much easier as I transition back and forth.  Currently working on the acoustic solo riffs from "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, which is good for pull-off, slides, and bending practice.  For chord practice I found a simplified version of "Let it Be" that is challenging me on the chord transitions and strumming.  

My dad is fine and returning to normal life.  That cat is on life 7 out of 9.  

Carlos.

Careful there

Today makes my 70th day!  Besides the few days that I missed last month, I have practiced my ass off.   I'm to the point now where I feel like I'm actually making music most of the time, even if it's just some practice scales, riffs, and chords. 

I have NOT been relying on Rocksmith at all though.  I think I need another few months of "getting good" before I go back to it.  It's too forgiving on crappy playing, and I want to hear just myself playing for now to know I'm getting everything right.

You made it! I admire your diligence.

I bought a better Amp for my electric guitar, the Line 6 Spider Jam, feature rich for practice and allows for recording/playback.  It also seems a huge bargain at that price.  I've learned the really simple riff from HoneyBee by Tom Petty, which gives me the grins just because it sounds so freaking cool with the distortion way up.

Uh oh. You will now suffer from G.A.S. A common syndrome amongst us electric guitar players.

But mostly I'm practicing with my acoustic.  It's much harder to get the notes/chords right on my acoustic than on electric.  I'm not sure if that's because it's crappy or that's just the way they all are.  But, I figure if I can play stuff right on that, the electric will come much easier as I transition back and forth.  Currently working on the acoustic solo riffs from "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd, which is good for pull-off, slides, and bending practice.  For chord practice I found a simplified version of "Let it Be" that is challenging me on the chord transitions and strumming.

They generally do require a bit more force. But (specially with cheaper acoustics) f your acoustic has never been set up, the action may be too high... You could try dropping the gauge on the strings as well.

I love my Taylor GA4 for that reason, very easy to play... almost like an electric.

My dad is fine and returning to normal life.  That cat is on life 7 out of 9.

That's great!

I don't know if you guys have checked out justinguitar but it covers a lot of the stuff like chord changes pretty well and how to practice them. 

I bought my first guitar 25 years ago and never really gave it too much effort. In the last year though I've spent more time on it than I ever have in the past and even started taking lessons. From what I've seen it just seems like its about time, practice practice practice. I'm currently trying to figure out triads and better strumming. 

Yeah, I like Justin Guitar, Andy Guitar, Nail Guitar, and Marty Music, all on YouTube.   You advanced guys will love Ben Eller's "This is why you suck at Guitar" series, at is is both information and pretty hilarious at times.  

So happy these guys give it all away for free on YouTube.  

Strumming is a big weakness for me right now.  I'm getting much better at chord changes, and yes, practicing my ass off.  But it's paying off -- My wife walked in and said "Hey, that kinda sounds like that song from that guy." while I was practicing Wish You Were Here.  That's high praise, woman!

Carlos.

90-days complete!  Tomorrow 4/11, I have my first official one-on-one lesson.  I'm now beyond certain that I've got the sticktoitiveness to make this a lifelong endeavor, and it just so happens that there's a guy who gives lessons out of his house nearby.  He offers a free evaluation lesson, so I'm going to go check it out.  I'm mostly hoping he'll point out any bad habits and areas to emphasize, but if his rates are reasonable, I just might pay for continued lessons.

To impress my wife, I finally got around to learning Ode To Joy, and it was remarkably easy to learn that melody.  Nothing fancy, just playing a simple version.  That was the first time I learned anything by using only tablature and my ears.  

Carlos.

7 months of steady playing.  I think I've only missed a total of 12-15 days this entire time.  I wish I were further along than I am, and improving faster than I am, but I'm still enjoying playing, and learning new, recognizable riffs brings a smile to my face every time.

I have good days, mostly so-so days, and plenty of truly awful days.  I have tried in vain to look for the common factors that leave me without my muscle memory, sharpness, and focus, but it doesn't make sense.  It's not fatigue, distractions, or being mentally drained.  It's just some days my fingers do not do what the fuck I tell them to do, and on other days it feels really automatic.

I decided that when learning new stuff, it's much easier to practice on the electric guitar first, then switch to the acoustic once I've built confidence. That way I know I can do it, instead of being met with even more frustration by attempting to learn on acoustic first.

Still not using Rocksmith.  Feels bad posting in this thread.  Maybe I'll revisit it again soon.  I still don't feel anywhere near ready to play along with the in-game band, though. Have learned lots of scales, riffs like the beginning of Day Tripper, La Bamba, and Shooting Star (Bad Co.). I've even come up with a few blues-type riffs of my own from time to time when horsing around on the scales (need to start writing them down).  

Carlos.

My one year anniversary is here today!  Feels great, at my age, to have picked up something new, and very difficult, and to have stayed with it through the highs and lows, thrills and frustration. 

There's no doubt guitar playing is a daily part of my life now, and the improvement is coming in.  Naturally, I still play like poop, but it does sound like music, mostly.

One thing I "solved", or at least made an incredible leap in, is strumming.  This is one of the embarrassing things that, if I had had an instructor, would probably have been solved a lot sooner.  I was leaning the top of the guitar in toward my body, so I could see my fingers on the strings more easily.  Because of this angle I was creating, it was making it difficult for my arm to follow that same angle while strumming, particularly on the upstroke.  It was a random YouTube video where the guy stressed how important it was to keep the guitar straight that finally made me realize what I was doing wasn't helping my situation at all.

I'm having fun right now learning Hey Joe (simple version), Twist and Shout,  and the guitar solo for Let It Be, which just brings joy to my soul.    I've also devoted a lot more time in the Blues area, and paying much more attention to music theory, all from YouTube.  

I'll get the courage to put up a video one of these days. 

Carlos.

• Like 3

2nd year anniversary!  Still keeping at it, nearly daily.  Missing a few more days than before, but that's because my grandson has been staying with us, and well, he's adorable.  

Songs I've added to my repertoire of late (all on acoustic): 

Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac

My My, Hey Hey by Neil Young

Oh Pretty Woman

Over the Hills and Far Away (acoustic beginning)

Currently working on Life by the Drop by SRV, and Mr. Jones by Counting Crows.  

Carlos.

• Like 3