LCVG
Angry the Clown

Photography (hardware & technical discussion thread)

39 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

Tripod:

This is the most vexing of my issues. I've considered not bringing a tripod at all, given the restrictions on them at some places...but moreso the awkward luggability issues. That said, I've carried my (approx 4 lb carbon fiber) Benro with me through thick and thin, over fences, crawling through dirty debris and for marathons of indoor 'hiking' in abandonments. For it's size, it's not a heavy tripod. I've even discovered that I can sling one leg around the waistband of my Tamrac bag like a sword to carry it.

However, it's still pretty bulky...it's min folded length (including the Really Right Stuff head) is 22" - the length alone makes it awkward. I'm considering buying the Manfrotto BeFree Advanced...the carbon version (with head) weights 2.8lbs and its min folded length is 16" (!), it gets good reviews...but it's definitely speedy ($320). The aluminum version weighs 3.6lbs, and is much less expensive. The .8 lbs difference doesn't sound like much...but another way of thinking about it is that the aluminum version is almost 30% heavier. Ooof. The only other issue here is that I much prefer 'lever' style tripod leg locks and the BeFree Carbon version only has twist locks...but I think I'm willing to compromise, if only because slinging the legs into my hip pack will be easier without the levers getting in the way (which they do with my Benro).

I just bought a Manfrotto 190XPRO4 (not travel), but I was looking at tripods alot. They do have a level lock carbon fiber version of the BeFree , and I swear I saw this on another store where the BeFrees had a "V1" and "V2". I thought the V1's looked better and saw some people didn't like the new twist lock (M2?) system on the V2's. A lot of this is me going off of memory and I may have this mixed up with another model.

Yes, the "Advanced" is the V2 version. It features some design tweaks which doubles it's load capacity (but also raise the weight by .4 lbs), is slightly longer (.3")and adds ARCA support...which is what my Really Right Stuff L-plate uses. I guess for absolute portability the V1 wins out. It's rated to hold 8.8 lb which is a lot (I think my 5D with the 17TS is around 5lbs).

I'll take a look at the V1 again, perhaps I can just use its plate instead of trying to shoehorn my RRS plate into the mix. The V1 is still available and discounted since it's 'old'

• Like 1

I found a person on Craigslist selling a brand new Carbon BeFree (v1) for $180. Sent them a note to inquire.

It's a pity you can't go for at least a moderate rucksack as they have the big advantages of also having room for a water bottle, snacks etc. Maybe bear that in mind when looking at overall bag size - or possibly just decide on days where you don't need anything other than the body with the 24-70 on and you can use the rest of the bag space for travel essentials, leaving the other kit behind at the hotel.

Alternatively, don't be afraid to use more than one bag - if you end up like a pack horse with one on each hip then so be it; it'll be both a lot more comfortable than one gigantic shoulder bag for everything and allows you more flexibility to only grab one or the other without repacking it all.

Everything you've described so far is either dual-voltage capable (check, obviously, because I wouldn't want you to fry your battery, but my first Canon was certainly able to handle 240V) and so you'll just need a tiny travel adapter available all over the place, or if you're charging off USB you could always just buy a European USB charger while you're over here.

Re: Tripods, I've got the Manfrotto Element Big; I'm sure there are lighter ones out there but it was a reasonable price, much better than the cheap one I had before, and could stay rock solid with my 7D and the 100-400mm f/4 fully extended when I was trying to photograph Saturn last year; I can't ask more than that.

Oh I can definitely wear a light backpack on my shoulders, I have one that I've used on previous photo trips. But it is what you describe, for water and snacks and small items.

I've decided to go all-in on SD cards, along with the Kingston transfer device. I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 64GB cards which I'll back up to a USB drive and, when full, just pack away for redundancy. I suppose I can get another there if needed.

Oh, the Craigslist tripod was gone. But I'm now seriously considering getting the v1 Carbon BeFree given the big discount on it being an old model...since it's both smaller and lighter than the new one.

Out of interest, since I don't know the Kensington thing, will it also give you the option of using your phone's wifi to do a cloud backup if you get online somewhere, too? That would be an extra degree of peace of mind, and we're fairly civilised over here...

I don’t believe it can do that, no. But it’s ok I think. 

Btw I’ve been calling it Kensington, but it’s actually Kingston (Kensington is an old Mac accessory maker from way back)

• Like 1

I've gone back to B&H a few times to check out tripods, and today the BeFree Carbon (v1) showed up as a used item for $170, so I grabbed it. Seems ideal for travel at 2.4lbs and 15.75" folded up.

In other news, I got the Kingston MobileLite and it works flawlessly. Connect to its WiFi on my phone, put in SD card, connect portable USB drive, use phone app to copy photos from card to drive. Easy. And you can create folders on the destination, so I can put each day's photos in a folder on the portable drive. That it will also function as a portable phone charger is a nice bonus.

• Like 2

Panasonic announced their S1 and S1R with the tagline "full frame without compromise" and I'd say that looks to be the case. The only thing that initially stands out reading some comments is the camera weights in around 1000g.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-s1-s1r-review-in-progress

Ten lenses in the next two years. Not sure if that's including everything with the L-Mount alliance or not. 

I got the Tripod from B&H this week. It's in absolutely flawless condition, really seems un-used for being used...BUT it was missing the mounting plate, D'OH!

I wrote to B&H about it, they responded in a few hours saying they would look into it, and the next morning they had shipped me a package with a new plate. Did I mention I love B&H?

Almost every single camera purchase I've made is from them, either online or in store (when I've been in NYC). Very much worth the loyalty.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

I got the Tripod from B&H this week. It's in absolutely flawless condition, really seems un-used for being used...BUT it was missing the mounting plate, D'OH!

I wrote to B&H about it, they responded in a few hours saying they would look into it, and the next morning they had shipped me a package with a new plate. Did I mention I love B&H?

Almost every single camera purchase I've made is from them, either online or in store (when I've been in NYC). Very much worth the loyalty.

I did get a chance to go into their store a couple of years ago and that is a marvel in itself. I've used Adorama lately for buying online and they've been really great as well. 

Stopping into B&H is a must for me each time I'm in New York. 

Strangely, I've never been motivated to visit Adorama.

8 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Soooo, Canon RP... 🤷‍♂️

I was looking at that this morning. Seems like the biggest advantage is the entry level price, like a Rebel for Canon mirrorless. The RF lenses are so mis-matched though as most big and fast L lenses twice the cost of the RP itself. 

If I were considering a 6DII I would definitely get one of these instead. Seems to be a much better sensor, the 5fps burst isn’t great but is still closer to reasonable than the 6, and the weight is definitely appealing as a 7D owner. 

Much as a person might want the R rather than a 5DIV, really. I’m still holding for another 7 update though, myself. And preferably still SLR. 

I get that Canon has to to hold back features to differentiate the lower end model, but this sounds like Canon doing their regular thing with regards to video making them hard to like:

(ignore the stupid still image)

I just find their approach so haphazard. Just weeks ago they shared their somewhat bleak belief about the bottom falling out from the dedicated camera market over the next few years, yet they seem compelled right now to oversaturate the market with more models which I’d have thought is precisely what the market doesn’t need.

These are the only photography related vloggers that I care to follow on Youtube and they had some fair thoughts on the RP:

12 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

The sensor IS the 6DII’s according to Canon Rumours. Limited offer of free extension grip and lens adapter is nice.

What.

What the hell is the point of this, then? The 6D II is already broken in terms of features, existing purely so that people with a 70D who want to go full-frame don't have to replace their lenses, while simultaneously ignoring the way that if they had any sense they'd spend the cash on a 5D3 second-hand.

Was the sensor actually one of the notable shortcomings of the 6DII? There seems to be so many things rubbing people the wrong way with each new model Canon produce that I honestly can’t even remember what’s supposed to be an issue with any of their latest cameras.