- Core i5 Ivy Bridge

- USB 3.0

- Tablet or desktop, you choose the form factor

- Digitizer, stylus compatible

- Thinner than an iPad, even with a built in kick stand

- Keyboard cover

- Larger screen than iPad, at full HD?

- Gorrila glass 2

Alot of that applies to the pro version only but the ARM model should be interesting.

Edit: official specs:

Windows RT model

WEIGHT: 676 g

THICKNESS: 9.3 mm

PROCESSOR: Tegra 3

DISPLAY: 10.6” ClearType HD Display, 1366x768 pixels

BATTERY: 31.5 W-h

I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae

SOFTWARE: Office Home & Student 2013 RT, Touch Cover, Type Cover

EXTRAS: VaporMg Case & Stand

SSD: 32 GB, 64 GB

Windows 8 Pro model

WEIGHT: 903 g

THICKNESS: 13.5 mm

PROCESSOR: Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)

DISPLAY: 10.6” ClearType Full HD Display, 1920x1080 pixels

BATTERY: 42 W-h

I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae

EXTRAS: VaporMg Case & Stand, Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block

SSD: 64 GB, 128 GB

I am pretty impressed by Microsoft with this. The design looks good, they went 16:9, and they finally decided if they are going to have an operating system, they may as well make hardware which shows it at it's best. Of course we need to see price, performance, and how well it's supported by 3rd parties. Interested in seeing what happens with it going forward.

Oh, also. I am a Microsoft developer, so being able to actually make apps for a relevant touch platform is really exciting. And the ramp up for iOS and Android is just too difficult for me with my limited free time. So here's hoping for Microsoft's success so that I can start to finally develop phone and tablet apps.

They did so many things right with this. It seems perfectly suited to keep that customer who has used a PC their whole life who may be thinking about an iPad. I see a lot of PC to iPad users who buy those 3rd party cases with keyboards in them.

I guess I'm going to be the naysayer on first impressions. They've announced two OS on different microprocessors. They've announced them as "coming in six months" which is a long time in the tablet/mobile market. They've announced nothing that radically shakes up the market in their favour. They're cutting out their OEM suppliers (hi Dell & Lenova). And they didn't announce any prices.

In this market, you can't announce "six months away".

I'm not the mainstream tablet market, but I saw nothing that makes me want to rush out for one.

To me this more than anything says "we can't count on our OEMs to fight Apple". Most of their OEMs are the same ones who haven't been able to put the slightest dent to the iPad's sales.

Also I'm with you Brian on the fragmentation, this is one of the things that hurst Android...no clue why MS thinks it won't hurt them.

To me this more than anything says "we can't count on our OEMs to fight Apple". Most of their OEMs are the same ones who haven't been able to put the slightest dent to the iPad's sales.

Also, "We can't have our OEMs mucking up the operating system with crapware and bloat." That sort of thing just does not fly in the tablet market. If anything, it's nice to see something like this come out that doesn't require to user to optimize the system by removing a bunch of stuff. I think Microsoft is realizing that in a post-PC world, you do need to control all the widgets

Oh, also. I am a Microsoft developer, so being able to actually make apps for a relevant touch platform is really exciting.

You no likey Windows Phone 7? Oh, I'm sorry. You said for a "relavent" platform. :)

So is Microsoft jumping into tablets now, with Apple and Google in charge, analagous to them jumping into video games when it was Nintendo and Sony's show? Can it end the same way?

I'm not a fan of the two models or the two versions of the OS but if they can get a version of MS Office running with all the functions from the desktop version they will have a major win with the business world. That is an executive's wet dream.

I'm not a fan of the two models or the two versions of the OS but if they can get a version of MS Office running with all the functions from the desktop version they will have a major win with the business world.

Agreed. They price the Pro version right and it would be a major win in the enterprise world. That money alone could subsidize the RT version and anything they want to push on that front.

Bring it on. The more competition the better. I use my tablet (3rd gen iPad) for the majority of my computing needs these days. I get on my desktop PC to purchase and organize my music library and that is about it. :)

Putting a keyboard in the cover and adding the kickstand is brilliant!

So as an MS developer, I'm a little biased as well, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this does. I've got one of the windows 8 tablets from the BUILD conference last year, which is reasonably close to what the Pro model is going to end up with. It's a pretty cabaple little device, although still not enough to make me leave my laptop behind for meetings. Having one of those keyboard cases would probably help with that though (or even just the kickstand). Not sure that I'd go drop $1000 on one, especially when I already have the Samsung, but it's a great prospect for an ultraportable PC. I really want to get my hands on one to try it out though-looking forward to the next developer event where they're sure to have some hands on demos.

I'm still not sold on Metro as an interface though-there are things it does well, but how often are you doing just ONE thing at a time on your PC? There are trying to cover most of the bases with what metro apps can do, and maybe it's just being so used to using windows, but it's a difficult transition. We'll see once the Metro versions of more useful apps come along though. The real advantage here is that, especially with the pro version, your tablet is a full on PC, and especially if you want to keep/upgrade your home machine, multiple windows 8 devices do work really nicely together with the built in cloud sync.

I have no idea how this is going to work with the big range of OEMs out there though. I'm sure the intent is to create a device that acts as an example of what a windows 8 experience should be, and hopefully to give people ideas to steal for their own windows devices. There'll be lower end and higher end machines out there for sure, and I'm assuming that this is the reason that the distribution channels are limited the way they are.

The keyboard cover looks cool. I wonder if it will actually work.

Yea it does look cool.. I know brookstone had something similar they came out with for the ipad, but was a detatchable keyword. Im not one for keyboards for a tablet, to me defeats the purpose of a "portable" device.

I like a lot of the ideas behind this. The kickstand is great. The keyboard seems very well thought out. USB Port...

But i think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the multiple OSs... They need to keep it simple and this is anything but.

I also think its funny that they took their research project (the original Surface tables) with all the goodwill they seemed to have built up and rename it PixelSense so they could use Surface for this (and probably hope people will associate the tablet with the magic from the surface tables).

The ARM one looks pointless, at least until they get a decent App market up and running. But the Pro is very, very shiny. Although its so good I would be very upset if I made an Ultrabook. MS have just wandered into the Windows Small, Thin, Powerful laptop market like the proverbial gorilla.

The ARM one looks pointless, at least until they get a decent App market up and running

They're pushing pretty hard on this now, but it should do quite a bit out of the box. Between mail, web (including some flash), video, music, and other streaming services, it's a decent entertainment device that should pack at least as much as a launch ipad did. I'm sure the fart apps will come eventually :)

I wonder when the first x86 emulator for ARM pops up on the marketplace? DOSBox for WinRT? Touchscreen support in old games is crap right now, but I'm sure someone with more time than I have could crack the input problem.

Curious if these will have mouse support. Navigating an iPad between keyboard to touchscreen is awkward at best.

It's running ootb Windows 8 home premium. Any bog standard USB mouse will do, if you like neither the touchscreen nor the trackpad on the keyboard thingy.

If MS can manage to get the Pro version for under 1k, I'm in. VERY interested in that.

For that kind of money, you could just get an 11" MacBook Air.