LCVG
JoeyN

SHOCKER- Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Billion (announces new film for 2015)

I like that they're coming up with the long term plan this time, take the time you need to figure it out then deliver the vision, time will tell.

"We are looking at the next saga. We are not just looking at another trilogy, we're really looking at the next 10 years or more," Kennedy said.

"This [movie] is the culmination of the Skywalker Saga; it’s by no means the culmination of Star Wars," said Kennedy. "I’m sitting down now with Dan Weiss and David Benioff...and Rian Johnson. We’re all sitting down to talk about, where do we go next? We’ve all had conversations about what the possibilities might be, but now we’re locking it down."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-disney-planning-decade-movies-rise-skywalker-1201761

• Like 1

It’s very sensible. I’m glad Iger has accepted they gain little for churning out one of these every 12-24 months as I think, unquestionably, that pressure on the filmmakers has done a little bit of harm (not much, but certainly a bit), since 2015. 

That by the end of this year we’ll have had five movies, two cartoon spin offs and a TV show in the span of four years is just insane to me. Slow down and nurture your audience and the stories you want to tell and everyone benefits. 

Iger’s an interesting guy. Quite brilliant in many ways but he is very IP driven to the point where you almost sense he’s worried Disney’s audience might quickly forget these franchises and characters if Disney aren’t constantly reminding us of them. Sadly this has meant next to nothing new being approved for the theme parks unless it is tied to a contemporary IP (which is upsetting to park fans as Disney parks were founded on having a balance between unique rides that had no connection to anything and rides based on movies/featuring recognisable characters). 

That by the end of this year we’ll have had five movies, two cartoon spin offs and a TV show in the span of four years is just insane to me. Slow down and nurture your audience and the stories you want to tell and everyone benefits. 

The issue more then anything is they rushed into things , and did not have any long term plan for the movies. Three out of the Five film the directors they hired were replaced, two when filming was almost completed. You just can not do stuff like that. I'm surprised Kennedy is still in charge of the SW after those two films. They really should have taken a more Marvel approach , and built things up over time (marvel had a few issues, but that's another story completely).  I have no issue with a SW film a year,  there are 3 marvel films almost every year now, and they all do well. If these films were all good, this conversation would not even be happening.  I am glad to see they are taking a small pause, and getting things planned for a longer term future. 

The Animation side I am never worried about. The people working on that stuff have been doing great work for a long time. They can keep churning out whatever they want and it will be Golden. I am excited to see what they do on Disney+, as the people they have in place I have faith in making good stories.  

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 10:31 AM, JoeyN said:

The issue more then anything is they rushed into things , and did not have any long term plan for the movies. Three out of the Five film the directors they hired were replaced, two when filming was almost completed. You just can not do stuff like that. I'm surprised Kennedy is still in charge of the SW after those two films. They really should have taken a more Marvel approach , and built things up over time (marvel had a few issues, but that's another story completely).  I have no issue with a SW film a year,  there are 3 marvel films almost every year now, and they all do well. If these films were all good, this conversation would not even be happening.  I am glad to see they are taking a small pause, and getting things planned for a longer term future. 

The Animation side I am never worried about. The people working on that stuff have been doing great work for a long time. They can keep churning out whatever they want and it will be Golden. I am excited to see what they do on Disney+, as the people they have in place I have faith in making good stories.  

Kennedy has made Disney billions of dollars with her stewarding of the franchise despite no doubt tremendous amounts of pressure to get an immediate return on investment after the Lucasfilm purchase.  The fact that the primary trilogy films have been of exceedingly high quality (while allowing the filmmakers remarkable freedom) and that both side movies ended up being generally solid affairs despite the directorial turmoil is reason to laud her performance as producer, not act surprised that she still has a job. I’ll never understand that perspective, frankly.

The fact that people are losing their minds with excitement about a two minute teaser for Episode IX and that Star Wars content is front and center for Disney + tells me she’s done plenty right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

The fact that the primary trilogy films have been of exceedingly high quality (while allowing the filmmakers remarkable freedom) and that both side movies ended up being generally solid affairs despite the directorial turmoil is reason to laud her performance as producer, not act surprised that she still has a job. I’ll never understand that perspective, frankly.

Spot on. 

If I’ve any major criticism of things since the acquisition it’s really only of Disney and Lucasfilm’s regular boast about Star Wars being a universe of endless storytelling possibiltles, but so far only producing new content that’s largely been focused on taking us back to (or reminding us of) the past in some way, shape or form. The sequel trilogy can’t escape that, obviously, and has done a great job of actually creating wonderful new characters and putting them centre stage, but we’ve also had two prequels and Rebels working in Vader, Obi-wan...etc into the mix. I highlight that not to trigger a debate about the narrative value and quality of those projects however (I liked both films and Rebels looked good), but merely to point out this vast universe is actually pretty damn small when everything is still so connected to the past.

I do of course understand, and in no way envy, the task of having to address an enormous fanbase and figure out whether they’re open to moving on, but hopefully The Mandalorian will be the first major project with (please God) no significant ties to past characters and events, and that in future more wholly original projects will be successful and lead us to whatever the Game of Thrones guys and Johnson are thinking up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

...but we’ve also had two prequels and Rebels working in Vader, Obi-wan...etc into the mix. 

A list of OT and prequel trilogy characters that appear in Star Wars Rebels (off the top of my head):

Darth Vader

Emperor Palpatine 

Grand Moff Tarkin 

C-3PO

R2-D2

Lando Clarissan

Princess Leia

Mon Mothma 

Darth Maul

Bail Organa

Obi-Wan Kenobi 

Yoda 

Wedge Antillies 

It’s a small galaxy, indeed. Still, good show though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JFo said:

It’s a small galaxy, indeed. Still, good show though. 

I got to see a couple of episodes, I forget how, and have seen some scenes on Youtube. It's certainly something I intend to check out on Disney+ at some point. I was happy that they got James Earl Jones to voice Vader (and Billy Dee Williams for Lando I believe?). 

4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I got to see a couple of episodes, I forget how, and have seen some scenes on Youtube. It's certainly something I intend to check out on Disney+ at some point. I was happy that they got James Earl Jones to voice Vader (and Billy Dee Williams for Lando I believe?). 

They did. For the most part the appearances by OT characters were 1-2 episode cameos in rebels.

23 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

19 hours ago, JoeyN said:

They did. For the most part the appearances by OT characters were 1-2 episode cameos in rebels.

Additionally, Ian McDiarmid voiced Palpatine/The Emperor in his episode(s) as well.

• Like 2