LCVG
Starhawk

LCVG Kickstarter! Logo Redesign, Forum & Hosting Upgrade

Alright guys, we are just about to reach 10 years together here at LCVG (a whole decade!) and that, along with exciting new Next-Next Gen consoles on the horizon, it's time for Extreme Makeover: LCVG Edition.

Today, Im starting a fundraiser to raise money just for that. 10 years ago, we probably had the time to do most of this ourselves. But hopefully, now, we have a little more money than time  :)  Together, let's see what we can get done.

The money raised will go to two areas:

1) New LCVG logo and Invision Theme.

We will utilize 99designs.com for the logo to get multiple designs that we can choose from. We'll be able to give feedback to the designers and narrow it down to the perfect one. For this package we will be investing $299.

2) Better Hosting.

Kelley has investigated a hosting model through Invision themselves that supports 100 simultaneous users at $70 a month. This will be an upgrade to what we have now and should be much more reliable and stable.

We'll also gain the ability to hold chats right in LCVG for up to 250 simultaneous users. This will be more than enough to support the eventual chats for E3, Apple Keynotes, Console announcements, Movie Drafts, centralized right here on the forum so everyone can join in.

Our plan here is to go ahead and build up enough funds to cover hosting through Invision for the year.

How to donate:

Go through Paypal HERE.

Any members who donate over $25 will receive a chance to vote on the new LCVG logo. All donations are appreciated and we all support the forum together. Donate once or multiple times. It is up to you.

Here's to an exciting 2013 on LCVG!

• Like 1

I'd just like to say that when Starhawk approached me about this I was really touched.  I've tried to keep this place afloat with minimum donation efforts, but this place deserves better than what I can give it alone.  I'm so excited to see what happens in the next 10 years with you guys.

I'll try to keep a running total here in the thread as to where we stand.

You may notice that Kelley has already moved the forum. The new chat feature is there in time for the Playstation announcement on Wednesday (at 6pm), now we just gotta pay for this shit! ;)

Just curious, do we have an actual goal for this fundraiser?  Something we're shooting for?

Just curious, do we have an actual goal for this fundraiser?  Something we're shooting for?

It was covered in the original post

The money raised will go to two areas:

1) New LCVG logo and Invision Theme.

We will utilize 99designs.com for the logo to get multiple designs that we can choose from. We'll be able to give feedback to the designers and narrow it down to the perfect one. For this package we will be investing $299.

2) Better Hosting.

Kelley has investigated a hosting model through Invision themselves that supports 100 simultaneous users at $70 a month. This will be an upgrade to what we have now and should be much more reliable and stable.

We'll also gain the ability to hold chats right in LCVG for up to 250 simultaneous users. This will be more than enough to support the eventual chats for E3, Apple Keynotes, Console announcements, Movie Drafts, centralized right here on the forum so everyone can join in.

Our plan here is to go ahead and build up enough funds to cover hosting through Invision for the year.

How much kickstarter money to get a moderator to change a thread title once said title releases?

You can send that check to me.

(just PM a me to change something. I'm usually pretty quick about it)

The original goal was $299 for the logo design and we were going to try to pick up a theme along the way, but with the recent hosting issues, Kelley recommended trying the Invision hosting which runs at $70 per month. $840 for the year. So a total grand total goal for 2013 would be $1,139.

Not sure if that is a lofty goal, but it's not needed all at once as that is for the next 12 months starting today.

Wow.  $299 for a new logo and theme doesn't seems like a smart use of money, to me.  Considering how long this board has a basic skin and "IPS Community on the banner", is this really something people want, or even care about?

Wow.  $299 for a new logo and theme doesn't seems like a smart use of money, to me.  Considering how long this board has a basic skin and "IPS Community on the banner", is this really something people want, or even care about?

I do, absolutely. I've been harping about the basic skin for awhile and the complete lack of a logo. If they can come up with several skins/logo ideas and give the place an actual identity instead of the "IPS" banner - yeah it's a good use of money, IMHO.

If anyone wanted to contribute only to the hosting costs and not to the logo, I can accommodate and would welcome that.

Probably be a good idea, yeah. Folks can give to what they feel is worthwhile...

Use the L from Lemmings

The Tempest looking thingy for the C

The ship from Asteroids as the V

The G from Galaga, Goldeneye?  Gorf?

Done and Done.

Carlos.

• Like 1

Use the L from Lemmings

The Tempest looking thingy for the C

The ship from Asteroids as the V

The G from Galaga, Goldeneye?  Gorf?

Done and Done.

Carlos.

Sweet. Do it up real nice and let us know when its ready.

The reality is that most of us lack the time to sit down and get this stuff designed etc. Unless someone wants to donate their time...

So in terms of themes, if we can get a logo designed then maybe we can look at some cheap premade skins online? I've been looking around and a few options for like $25 bucks. 

Darker option:

http://www.skinbox.net/skins/viril/

Lighter/contrasty:

http://www.skinbox.net/skins/caja/

Simple:

http://www.skinbox.net/skins/elegant/

How difficult would it be to get these premade skins up and running Kelley and then adding the logo to them?