LCVG
JoeyN

Comic Book Discussion

You can still read Part 2 Here and Part 1 Here

A bit late, but thought I would start up a new thread for 2013 as there are a bunch of big things on the horizon in the comic world. 

The first which could be the biggest development going forward is Comixology Submit which allows Indy Creators to submit their comics, and Comixology converts it to Guided View for free/puts it on the store (they take a cut on sales of course, but it still works out good for the creators.  A bunch of books are already up on the store by some of the big name indy creators, and a few were past kickstarter projects which are really good. Check some of them out especially the ones by Becky Cloonan, and Rachael Deering. This is going to be a major game changer going forward. Lot's of comic creators are very happy about this. As am I. 

Speaking of Comixology they updated their IOS app today, and  the purchased tab is like on the Kindle Fire,grouping series together. Also some stability fixes, etc

Marvels Unlimited service/app which lets you read a library of older books is either now or soon to be live on IOS for more then just the beta testers. It's $10 a month, or $60 for a full year. Only catch is you can only have 6 books on your device at a time. great for people who want to read a lot of older books, and not buy the issue. 

NYCC will be updating their web site, announcing guests, and giving details on when we can buy Tickets for this years show on Wed. 

And on a side note, there are a lot of really good kickstarter comic projects going on right now by some good folks. So give these pages a look. They all have a digital option to get PDF's if you don't want the physical books

God Hates Astronauts

Chrono Mechanics

Mini Comics Included

The Comixology submit program is amazingly cool IMO - I was browsing it on Wednesday :) Its a little ridiculous at my age now but, it reminded me of being 13 and working on my own comic with my friends (a Moon Knight ripoff) and actually makes me want to make a comic again. The Marvel announcement is a big one too, and I love the idea of the subscription service but, it carries the same problems as a service like Netflix: you don't "own" any of the titles...

Personally, I'm o.k. with this. On some comics series, I want to try them out and give them a read (just like a TV show I missed and am giving a watch on Netflix) but, if I like the comic I want to own it so would have to grab it anyway. That's how I use Netflix and other streaming services today so this is a great option for users like me but, it's probably not of much interest to the collectors among us :) and that's o.k.

Read issue #8 of Batman Inc. last night right after I had read the Batman and Robin Annual #1. The latter was one of the best comics I have read in some time and it showed why Damian is my favorite character in comics right now. Then I read the former. Ugh. My disappointment in Morrison's decision is just mind boggling, because how does it not affect all of the other series'?

I read what they are going to do with the Batman and Robin series, and the issue with Nightwing is going to be something else. If you guys haven't seen Cappulo's cover for Batman #18 yet, it is probably the best one in the series, the alternate cover by Kubert ties it for #1. :(

-Dean-

• Like 1

but, if I like the comic I want to own it so would have to grab it anyway. That's how I use Netflix and other streaming services today so this is a great option for users like me but, it's probably not of much interest to the collectors among us  :) and that's o.k.]

For others the marvel sub thing is great fi you want to catch up on old stories, for me I already own the older stuff I want, so no need to subscribe. 

My disappointment in Morrison's decision is just mind boggling, because how does it not affect all of the other series'?

All of the creative teams in the bat family have known this was going to happen even before the New 52 started. Actually this happening is not really much of a shock as Morrison has said many times over the years his plan was to kill Damian a long time ago. They expanded on his story when people latched on to him as a character.

Now here is the thing. We know he will eventually come back for a few reasons.  Damian is the grandson of Ra's Al Gu, thus a Lazarus pit is only a plane ride away. Second go back and pick up issue 666 of Batman. It's a stand alone story that Morrison wrote a few years ago, which takes place in the future. It didn't have much meaning back then, but it does now. Look for the little clues in the text, as well as in some of the small flashback panels.  :milk

If you guys haven't seen Cappulo's cover for Batman #18 yet, it is probably the best one in the series, the alternate cover by Kubert ties it for #1.

Cappulo is the man. 

I did pick up #666 due to your recommendation in the old thread. :)

Issue #5 of Batman, Inc. also refers to this as well. I know he will most likely be back at some point, but I never wanted him to leave. ;)

I just hope this leads to a totally out of control Bruce for several issues. It needs to.

I did pick up #666 due to your recommendation in the old thread. :)

Issue #5 of Batman, Inc. also refers to this as well. I know he will most likely be back at some point, but I never wanted him to leave. ;)

I just hope this leads to a totally out of control Bruce for several issues. It needs to.

From what they said about the Batman and Robin series, it will be about his steps of grief, so i would expect most of that to happen there. I know the next issue of Batman is through the eyes of Harper in the aftermath of what happened in Batman Inc, the two after that are supposedly a Batman the animated series like story, and then jump into the next big arc with the Riddler.  Nightwing is having some changes as well. 

Oh and if your not reading the new Valiant books yet, Harbinger and Bloodshot issues are on sale for .99. Buy the damn things.

700 Marvel #1 issues are free until Tuesday including all the Marvel Now books. Servers getting slammed, no reason not to add them to your library,

You can get them all into your account via IOS. Just click the Free button on the issues you want. Once they all say Download error in the queue, just reboot your ipad, and they will all be logged as purchased. 

To our customers:

It’s been a whirlwind weekend, and we’re fresh from SXSW where Marvel

Comics launched their Marvel #1 promotion featuring over 700 free

comics distributed via our platform.

We expected a high degree of excitement for the Marvel initiative –

and had believed ourselves prepared – but unfortunately we became

overwhelmed by the immense response. We’re still struggling to keep our

systems up.

The result is that you aren’t getting your comics when and where you want.

We don’t like letting you down. Our teams are working around the

clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you’ve

come to expect.

To that end, we’re pausing the Marvel Comics #1 promotion for the

time being. For those of you that want to take advantage of the offer –

you will get your comics! Until we are able to reinstate this program in

our systems, please click here and fill out this simple form, so you can be informed as soon as there is an update.

We’ll be communicating with you as often as we can and deeply

appreciate the outpouring of support we’ve seen from our customers while

we right the ship.

David Steinberger

CEO and co-founder

comiXology

Works for me-as long as I can get access to the stuff, I'm in no rush.  Honestly, I just wanted to check out a couple of the series that I passed on physical copies of, and get a few more books to play around with in the app.  I like the idea of having a bunch of comics on my surface, but I'm not switching from dead tree books anytime soon.  I should probably do something with those codes in the Marvel books though-I haven't redeemed any of them, and they expire, don't they? 

I actually purchased some books on Sunday night and while I have the invoice from iTunes, some of the issues arent showing up in my account. First time that's ever happened. I think I'll wait a few days to send in a support request.  :bunker

And, their site is still not working properly. They said they prepped more than you could imagine, and with that being said, good lord, what did their traffic numbers jump to? I wonder if there were that many people who suddenly decided it was time to try digital comics now there were 700 for free, or was it just all the regulars plus some trying to download all at once.

I actually purchased some books on Sunday night and while I have the invoice from iTunes, some of the issues arent showing up in my account. First time that's ever happened. I think I'll wait a few days to send in a support request.  :bunker

And, their site is still not working properly. They said they prepped more than you could imagine, and with that being said, good lord, what did their traffic numbers jump to? I wonder if there were that many people who suddenly decided it was time to try digital comics now there were 700 for free, or was it just all the regulars plus some trying to download all at once.

The news was posted to almost every major news site. It got hit by more then regular purchasers

Also, I just got my February books in the mail yesterday, and just to reiterate, All New X-Men is one of the best books being published these days.  Some great character stuff in there.  I really want to see how the long term plan unfolds for these books, but X-Men is really interesting again. 

I was able to "purchase" about 250 of the 700 free Marvel issues last night.  Going through the main/Marvel portals was giving me messages about not being able to connect to the Comixology servers so I tried finding the issues by searching for Marvel or going through the list of recently added issues and was able to "purchase" them that way.

While the intent of the offer was good, if this was a first experience for digital comics readers via Comixology, I'd have to say it wasn't a good first impression.

Also, I just got my February books in the mail yesterday, and just to reiterate, All New X-Men is one of the best books being published these days.  Some great character stuff in there.  I really want to see how the long term plan unfolds for these books, but X-Men is really interesting again. 

I'm reading All New, Uncanny and Wolverine and the X-men. Really enjoying the mutants again.

New Batman was OK. However, the new Batman and Robin is phenomenal. It is a silent issue. The only text is a letter Damian left for Bruce. Very powerful issue.

If you're not reading Uncanny X-Men along with it - you should. Great addendum book that follows Scott and his X-men alongside Wolverine and the time traveling X-Men. UXM #3 was excellent. Love both Magneto and Cyclops.

New Batman was OK. However, the new Batman and Robin is phenomenal. It is a silent issue. The only text is a letter Damian left for Bruce. Very powerful issue.

B&R will be on my short list for issue of the year.