LCVG
JoeyN

Comic Book Discussion

Don't forget to add the Annual to that short list. :)

The reason I wasn't fond of the new Batman is because I am not sold on Harper. I am dreading that Snyder is going to make her the new Robin, and I don't want that to happen.

I like her, but dont think she will. At least not for the next 13 months in regular Batman ( 2 parter, and then the long early Batman arc). I know she is showing up in the anniversary issue of Detective,

Yes the Annual is on that list as well. Such a damn good issue.

If you're not reading Uncanny X-Men along with it - you should. Great

addendum book that follows Scott and his X-men alongside Wolverine and

the time traveling X-Men. UXM #3 was excellent. Love both Magneto and

Cyclops.

I think I'm back to just about all the X books again, most of which are very good.  The biggest surprise out of the bunch is actually X-Treme, which I'd originally written off because of the association with the last book of the same name.  As it turns out though, it's basically the spiritial successor to Exiles, which was an amazing "parallel worlds" book that did some great stuff with both new and previously established alternate universes.  But yes, the new Uncanny is great, and I have no idea what the long game is there:

Current theory is that Magneto is still working with Scott, and this is all just a way to get inside intel on Shield, but it could also be legit.  Still, if Magneto was going to betray scott, why bust him out of prision in the first place?

I think it is

as presented. Magneto has no interest in betraying Scott. He has an interest in getting information and being "twice as smart" as he says in the most recent issue with their powers being on the fritz. It's a nice reveal to be honest as I thought they would drag out the Magneto "betrayal" far longer than it should have gone. Scott has slowly been evolving into a mini-Magneto anyways, but it's nice to see the old man show Scott that he's been doing things far longer and in much more extreme ways...

Bachalo has been exceptional as well from art perspective. I thought his work on Woverine and the X-Men was /ok/ but the darker mood he has going in Uncanny really gels well with his style...

Brian K Vaughn and Marcos Martin are doing a DRM Free digital only comic series where you pay what you want for an issue. The first one is out today and you can download it in PDF, CBZ or CBR.

The Private Eye

and the new Dark Horse app for IOS is out. Hopefully this fixes all the issues it has had. 

Did anyone actually get a notification from Comixology after signing up with them after that Marvel sale?  Not sure if they're still working on a fix or not.  If nothing else, trying to access my cart on this PC crashes the app consistently, so that's not a good sign. 

They are working to do it, and will notify when its ready. The apps and site are working fine for me.

With all the Gail Simone stuff that happened recently, and now Andy Diggle leaving Action Comics before his first issue even hits stands, (and dare I bring Rob Liefield into this conversation), DC does not seem to be the most accommodating company to work for. There's enough evidence now do definitely say, "What the fuck is going on over there?"

Marvel on the other hand has been on a bit of a roll lately with the Marvel Now relaunch stuff. Thor, Cap America, Hawkeye and the X-Books are all high quality stuff month in and month out.

Now it looks like Fialkov, who was just about to start writing Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns, has walked from those books.

With all the Gail Simone stuff that happened recently, and now Andy Diggle leaving Action Comics before his first issue even hits stands, (and dare I bring Rob Liefield into this conversation), DC does not seem to be the most accommodating company to work for. There's enough evidence now do definitely say, "What the fuck is going on over there?"

The problem at DC right now is that someone at the top (probably bob harris who should never have been given the job as he sucked at it the last time) keeps making changes, after stories have been approved.  Then the writers get pissed off at the group editors who are just passing down the orders from above.  The only folks who do not seem to be getting fucked with are the Batman Group as the editors for that group have been around a while, or whatever stuff Lemire seems to be doing. 

Now it looks like Fialkov, who was just about to start writing Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns, has walked from those books.

Apparently because DC wanted to kill off John Stewart.

From CBR:

It's been a week of exits for DC Comics. Not only did yesterday bring the news that Andy Diggle had left his assignment writing "Action Comics", but also that Joshua Hale Fialkov had resigned from "Green Lantern Corps" and "Red Lanterns." While both writers citied professional differences as the reason for their departure, new information on Fialkov's exit has come to light.

CBR has independently confirmed that, as reported on Bleeding Cool, Joshua Fialkov's resignation from his Green Lantern titles was due in large part to an editorial edict to kill off John Stewart.

Stewart is one of DC's most recognizable African-American characters, which makes it somewhat surprising that he be marked for death in light of the steps the publisher has taken to diversify its line with the New 52, adding Cyborg to the Justice League, creating a gay Alan Scott in "Earth 2" and launching the New 52 with several titles starring black characters. Stewart is also arguably the character most associated with the Green Lantern franchise among the non-comics reading public, having been the face of the Corps for the popular Justice League cartoons. He's so associated with the franchise, in fact, that when Ryan Reynolds was announced as the lead in Warner Bros. live action film, many people wondered why a white actor had been cast as a character who they thought of as black.

After Fialkov's announcement as "Green Lantern Corps" and "Red Lanterns" writer, he indicated in an interview with Comic Book Resources his eagerness to put his spin on the Green Lantern corner of the DCU.

"For me, the attraction was that I wanted to tell a crime story on a galactic level. That was my pitch to DC," he said. "Geoff [Johns] and all of the other guys have done such an amazing job, prior to us, of telling those big, giant space operas. Now it's time to narrow it down. Let's do stories that almost fall into a different genre while still being in the Green Lantern universe."

DC Comics latest creative shake-ups come as a surprise, though they aren't without recent precedent. After announcing Jim Zub as incoming writer for "Birds of Prey," DC announced he was off the book before any issues were even published. A similar situation occured with Robert Venditti and "Constantine," though both Venditti and editorial stated he just had too much on his plate to take on another assignment, likely the main "Green Lantern" title.

When approached by CBR News for this story, DC Comics had no comment.

So this weekend I finally got around to starting to deal with the comics that have gone unsorted/unfiled since we moved 2 years ago.  Books had just been piling up on bookshelves (those Ikea magazine files are great for keeping comics in), but I was running out of shelf, and wanted to get things in a proper order.  I managed to do a rough sort on them, and started taping and sorting in more detail before I noticed some gaps.  Went back to the boxes/cabinets, and remembered that everything got out of order when we moved, and that there were another 2 longboxes full of books that had to be sorted.  So now, I have something like this that's just books from, say, the last 3 years that haven't been put in any sort of order:http://sdrv.ms/X3HCqx

On top of that, everything else is pretty chaotic, so it's looking like the only thing for it is to go through and do a full sort on everything again, which is a massive job.  Things are at least in rough blocks this time though, which helps.  It's a little like that bit from High Fidelity though-everyone has their own system.  I know that with X-Men and Batman books I've gone interleaved chronological, since all of those tie together so closely.  I'd started doing the same with Avengers as well, but I'm not sure how far to extend the "Avengers" umbrella.  Right now I'm thinking all the core team books, but leave things like Iron Man and Fantastic Four out (but probably leave FF and Fantastic Four together).  I have everything together with X-Men though (basically, ant mutant-centric book), so maybe the same for the rest of the MU?  I think I'm also going to just create a section for Marvel Event books, which can be core titles for any of the major crossovers, like Siege, A vs X, etc.  Then, of course, there's the challenge of leaving space for new stuff in more than one place, but at least that can get balanced by packing series that are finished a little tighter, since I know there won't be any more issues there.  Really though, the issue I've got right now is storage-the filing cabinets I'm using are getting a little beat up (they've moved a couple more times than designed), so I may have to bend some bits back into shape in the process.  Should be nice once it's all done though. 

Of course, this is great motivation for anyone to go all digital now.  Sorting (and having to move) almost ten thousand comics is a lot of work...and that's not even that big a collection.  Still, it's kind of neat to flip through old books. 

The other thing I'd like to find is a good data source to establish some anchor points for a chronological sort.  Last time I did it all from memory, and some anchors like the times when they printed cover dates, and indexed crossovers, but it's even harder when you start getting multiple series relaunches in there.  I looked at what Collectorz.com had a few years back, but the import didn't seem to work all that well, and there's no way I'm entering everything again by hand.  I also haven't found anything that's near as fast for entering new books as the access database I wrote almost 17 years ago (wow, has it been that long?), and given that I can transforn that data to whatever format I want, it'd be dumb to have to start fresh. 

Of course, this is great motivation for anyone to go all digital now.

I look at the total number of books I have digitally, and there is no way I would have room for all of them if I had physical copies.  Only stuff I have in issues/Trade is the stuff I really really like and want to have on my shelf. 

As a side project, I am taking over the twitter handle dgtlcomics starting today from Chris Marshall who runs the Collected Comics Library site and podcast. He just doesn't have enough time to do it all, so I volunteered to give it a go. Will be posting all the digital comics news and sales that I can find, so start following :)

So I'm trying to get into the marvel universe. Besides joss whedons run on xmen, and civil war, what other storylines are good. In most cases, it seems like no one recommends the infinity gauntlet storyline. Why is that?

no idea, I liked it. There is a lot of good marvel stuff. Bendis early New Avengers was great, Ultimate Spider-Man, Pheonix Saga, Age of Apocalypse, people love Brubakers Capt America run, Hickmans F4/FF was really good, Remenders Uncanny X-Force, Avengers Academy, Punisher Max, Spider-Man Red/Blue.,etc etc. I'm sure I could come up with a lot more. A bunch of the new Marvel now books are fantastic as well.

Nothing wrong with Infinity Gauntlet, but it's a little old, and there are lots of characters to track, many of which aren't "major". It's a decent introduction to that corner of the universe. 

If you're looking for recent stuff, A vs X is probably as good a place as any, and then Bendis' recent X-Men stuff.  You could also just hit up "events" like Civil War and Secret Invasion for some great stuff and to sample a bunch of characters/teams to see what you like.  As for other stuff, depends on how far back you want to go?  If you start with Avengers Dissassembled for example, that's about a decade's worth of books to get to current :) 

If I read Uncanny X-Force, should I start at Vol I, or should I skip right to, what is it, Vol 3 where Remender's books are?

Remender is the only run of Uncanny X-force until the recent relaunch. It used to be just X-force.

Here is the first Vol on Comixology 

Batman Beyond, Brave and the Bold, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are now on Netflix

Batman Beyond, Brave and the Bold, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are now on Netflix

Nice! The surge of WB-owned content has been a welcome addition to Netflix streaming.