LCVG
JoeyN

Comic Book Discussion

Been reading through some of the Marvel #1's that were free. Didn't care for the New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers. Uncanny X-force got added to the must reads and I like Superior Spider-Man way more than I thought I would. Not sure if I am going to stick with Captain America. I enjoyed the 1st issue, but issues 2 and 3 did nothing for me.

Been reading through some of the Marvel #1's that were free. Didn't care for the New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers. Uncanny X-force got added to the must reads and I like Superior Spider-Man way more than I thought I would. Not sure if I am going to stick with Captain America. I enjoyed the 1st issue, but issues 2 and 3 did nothing for me.

Wait... did they release the #1's?  They were going to notify me via email when the reopened that.  I never heard anything.

Been reading through some of the Marvel #1's that were free. Didn't care for the New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers..

They get much better after the first

Wait... did they release the #1's?  They were going to notify me via email when the reopened that.  I never heard anything.

I am reading the ones that actually downloaded before Comixology blew up. :)

Wow, the latest Iron Man series is a giant pile of shit. The writing and art are both terrible. Why does Tony have such gigantic teeth?

On the positive side, I took my 1st foray into Guardians of the Galaxy. Really enjoyed the 1st two issues of the new series.

Also, check out East of West, new title from Jonathan Hickman. Sci-fi western that also has the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse.

-Dean-

Wow, the latest Iron Man series is a giant pile of shit. The writing and art are both terrible. Why does Tony have such gigantic teeth?

On the positive side, I took my 1st foray into Guardians of the Galaxy. Really enjoyed the 1st two issues of the new series.

Also, check out East of West, new title from Jonathan Hickman. Sci-fi western that also has the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse.

-Dean-

I could have told you to stay away from Iron Man :)

The others are both great so far.

I read the first issue of Iron Man and dropped it quickly. It's garbage, yeah. 

Captain America has been pretty good thus far. 

The new Thor God of Thunder series is amazing. Fantastic art, writing and the whole God-Slayer story arch and jumping between the three time periods in Thor's life is compelling stuff. 

The relaunched Avengers book is pretty good but the last few issues have left me cold.

All New X-Men and Hawkguy should be required reading:)

I'm giving Iron Man a chance, but I like Kieron Giellen, so take that for what it's worth.  Last issue I read was Tony in space and something about being put on trial for killing the phoenix.  I also liked the way that Greg Land's art was being used as a plot device ("Do all women look the same to you?"). 

I'm giving Iron Man a chance, but I like Kieron Giellen, so take that for what it's worth.  Last issue I read was Tony in space and something about being put on trial for killing the phoenix.  I also liked the way that Greg Land's art was being used as a plot device ("Do all women look the same to you?"). 

I just finished reading Straczynski's Thor run yesterday and picked up Thor #604-607 which Gillen wrote. It was like falling off a 100ft cliff in so far as the downgrade in the quality of writing. Bleh...

AVX consequences wasn't too terrible though so I'll give him that.

Go pick up Phonogram: Rue Britannia-if you want some great Gillen/McKelvie stuff.  I haven't read any Thor stuff in a long time, but no matter what Straczynski is a hard acto to follow.  He's actually got a new book that just solicited last month whose name escapes me, but it's getting back to his creator owned stuff. 

Fuck, now I want to go back and read Supreme Power again-still my favourite JMS book.  That first volume was amazing.

That new JMS book is Ten Grand drawn by Ben Templesmith, so if that book comes out on time it will be the greatest miracle of all time.

As for Gillen, I have not like anything he has done. Wish someone else was on Iron Man.

Fuck, now I want to go back and read Supreme Power again-still my favourite JMS book. That first volume was amazing.

I found the entire run of this the other day in my closet. Forgot I bought them as they came out.

I've commented on a few marvel now books, but later Ill give a rundown of everything I've read so far. Liking a lot of it.

As I have mentioned I am loving a lot of Marvel now stuff, but if it wasn't for the kindness of some folks giving away codes for the first issues I probably would be missing out on a lot of gr

Avengers and New Avengers- I have faith in any long term plan Hickman has for these two books, so I am in for the long haul. They read much better in larger issue chunks

Superior Spider-Man-I had no urge to read this, but after reading the first issue I was hooked. Like Otto trying to figure out living as Peter

All New X-men and Uncanny X-Men- Bendis is back, and with great artists beside him. Happy to be reading X-men again

Indestructible Hulk- Mark Waid has brought the Hulk book to a new level, and the lastest issue was spectacular 

Captain America- I'm sure it won't last very long, but I am loving this Capt Sci-Fi adventure. Finally liking this JrJr art style. 

Thor- Good Lord this book reigns as king

Uncanny Avengers- Has taken a bit to get going, but it's started hitting its stride the last few issues

Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova- Only a few issues into both, but liking them a lot

Uncanny X-force- Maybe it's just because I like the cast, but it's a fun book, and a good continuation of Remenders run.

She's not, at least not in the next 6 months as the book is changing names every month . If we were getting a new Robin soon, DC would be releasing a million press releases all over the place, and wouldn't shut up about it :)

I underestimated how many people give a shit about a new Robin, then. The fact they are pulling Carrie Kelly into the New52 continuity is stupid enough to begin with, IMO. After killing Damian off prematurely, that's just what we need - another Robin.

I got an email this morning from comixcology. Marvel #1's will be available Thursday. Sending me a link to click on and then pick.

Been following comics a long time though I haven't actively read them in quite some time. Going to pick a jumping on point sometime soon and start a couple of books. Just not sure which yet.

Been following comics a long time though I haven't actively read them in quite some time. Going to pick a jumping on point sometime soon and start a couple of books. Just not sure which yet.

You want to read Super Hero books, sci-fi, horror, etc?  There is a lot of good stuff in all genres, sure everyone here can give you suggestions. 

Make sure to get all the Marvel Now #1's from that offer, as there are a lot of good ones, and it's easy to jump onto a series from there. 

I was always superhero. Spider-Man being my favorite. Though I loved Gaiman's Sandman. I was thinking Batman, Superior Spiderman(though the whole thing with Ock sounds incredibly stupid), and the new X-Men. I was always more a Marvel guy. Never cared too much for DC's heroes other than Batman.

I have 4 of the old rectangular comic boxes full of comics I have kept all these years going back to Claremont's run on Uncanny, Hama's Wolverine, David writing the Hulk, McFarlane on Spider-Man, and about everything in between. I have downloaded some free issues. It is strange reading comics like that. The collector in me kind of misses the large boxes with all your comics in plastic so they stay in near mint condition. Lol.

The recent Batman Run by Snyder/Capullo, Superior Spider-Man (which is good, the Oct thing is actually working IMO) and All New/Uncanny X-men are all good choices. For Spider-Man you can always start a few years back at "Big Time" and work your way forward so you know what is going on in Superior. 

Like you, I was always a Marvel guy when I was younger, except for Batman.

The collector in me kind of misses the large boxes with all your comics in plastic so they stay in near mint condition. Lol.

I have gotten past that in a hurry. If I had physical copies of all the things I have digitally I would be sleeping outside the house. :) I do still pick up issues that I want to have to frame, as well as stuff I want to get signed at cons, but that's about it. 

The collector in me kind of misses the large boxes with all your comics in plastic so they stay in near mint condition. Lol.

Take one of those full longboxes, then carry up up three flights of stairs, then repeat 50 times.  That's what you're missing out on :)  I'll admit, it's kind of neat going back through a whole pile of comics, but part of me really wishes I could make a clean break with physical books.  It's much easier to share the real books than the digital copies though, and given that my wife and I both read everything, it's a leap we can't really make yet.  That being said, I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

Catching up on some backlog, and I'm actually way more impressed with Superior Spider-Man than I thought I'd be.  I'm also a little disapointed at the ending to issue 1 though-I thought they'd let the new status quo fester for a while at least before trying to revert to the old one...