LCVG
JoeyN

Comic Book Discussion

Black Monday has been reasonably consistent so far, but that could be getting ahead of the production schedule.  They're also 64p issues though, so that could start slipping pretty easily.  It may also be one of those books that's better read in a batch anyway-I know reading the latest one (#4 I think) I was having to go back and try to remember which characters were which again (since I'd read the previous one about 5 or 6 weeks before).  Going back through Stray Bullets when the omnibus came out (and even the time before that in singles) was a revelation. 

As for Marvel changing characters, some of those are actually the better books that are out there.  I like both the new Hulk books, Ms Marvel is still decent, and the Jane Foster Thor has had its moments.  Still not sure to think about Riri Iron Man, but I like Doom IM.  The focus on Inhumans is really hit and miss, although the latest arc in Uncanny Inhumans with the two girls trying to use Reader to resurrect their dead mother was a really good idea.  The biggest mess are the Avengers and X-Men books I suppose, and maybe those will sort themselves out after this event with the Inhumans?  The end of the "Death of X" mini was really well done though, so maybe there's hope there? 

Fuck Civil War 2 though.  Half-assed Minority Report, and very poorly justified storyline.  The first Civil War made some degree of in-universe sense, but this time seemed far more contrived, and managed to ruin Captain Marvel as a character. 

I love Marvel, but they are beholden to the movies now and nothing more. The constant reboots are irritating to say the least; it's nigh impossible to follow the stories around consistently if you're a casual reader.

I've been taking in the epic collections of older titles and the difference is really something. They could use a hard reboot of their franchises and consistent numbering that lasts more than a year.

Then again, they're subservient to their movie properties and that brings a lot of problems along with it.

I've been taking in the epic collections of older titles and the difference is really something. They could use a hard reboot of their franchises and consistent numbering that lasts more than a year.

They've actually taken to dual numbering a lot of books, with a giant #1 in the top right corner when a new relaunch/event starts, much more prominent than the 14 or something below it.  Eventually they'll go back to original numbering when it suits them for a milestone.  They did for Uncanny 600, and I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't happened for Avengers since Bendis took it over.  In a way Secret Wars was their chance for a reset, but it ended up being pretty much "the entire universe ended, but it comes back almost the same as usual".  It almost seems like the delays in the "event" books that are meant to change up the status quo are just completely messing with everyone else. 

Long gone are the days of being able to have huge, uninterrupted runs of a book.  I was just happy that my X-Men runs managed to finally overlap.  I started buying comics with X-Men #1, and Uncanny 281, working backwards to 200.  The adjectiveless X-men book eventually made it to 200 (despite some renamings in the middle), so that sort of connected. 

I did notice from Previews that DC has gone back to original numbering on Action and Detective, which I'm assuming counts all the new 52 issues in there.  Action appears to be in the 970s, and bimonthly, so that would put #1000 either late this year or early next. 

Yeah they went back a while ago.

Chris you mentioned there are no more long runs on Big two books. It's something that really drives me nuts as many great runs have been cut very short because the publishers can't go 4 months without switching editors on different books. The new editors then decide to change , and the cycle just keeps happening.Other then the batman family of books, and spider-man with slott we are lucky for a full 6 issues by a writer/artist team.

Speaking of long runs - there's a big Rogues sale on Comixology right now that includes two huge 350+ page collections of some of Geoff Johns' run on The Flash from the early 2000's.

Those books plus Runaways got me into reading comics as an adult and I really enjoyed them. It takes a while for the run to really start cooking but it's good stuff. His new villains were kind of meh (though I do love Double Down, a lot) but he did amazing work with the old school Rogues.

That service is very very limited, your better off with the marvel service if you want to catch up on marvel.

Yeah, I figured for $5.99 it would be less comprehensive than a $10 marvel plan, but the comiXology plan actually had some of the things I was looking for.

If anyone has wanted to pick up marvel stuff dirt cheap now is your chance. For some reason Amazon has discounted digital trades to $3-5 each including some of the newer series. Most will show on comixology as well.

Other then Vision series by Tom King, I haven't followed anything else since secret war 2 started, so that is my one recommendation.

It's been a long time since this thread was updated, which might say something about interest in new comics lately.  I've almost completely stopped buying singles (finally), mostly because of a combination of losing interest in a lot of mainstream books, and finally getting over the "buy it now in case it's good and you can't get it again" impulse.  I have started picking up more stuff that looks interesting as collections though, and one book that's absolutely worth a look is Skyward:  https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/skyward-vol.-1-my-low-g-life-tp.

The premise is that one day, gravity got cut to a fraction of what it is now.  No explanation of why (yet), but the story picks up 20 years after "G-Day", and puts us in a world where people can basically fly, but live in constant fear of floating off into the atmosphere.  I can't think of anything else quite like it right now, which is when comics are at their best. 

Well, I don’t post because I read pretty much nothing but manga these days ;). Mainstream comics don’t interest me and Marvel’s old stuff is great (I’m currently working through the first Tomb of Dracula epic collection and it’s super fun) but the constant reboots to tie in with the movies is just so pointless/aggravating.

I read walking dead and tmnt monthly. A bunch of image stuff via sales, and a few dc when stuff goes on sale a year after it comes out. When companies started charging $4-5 an issue, and not price dropping in a timely manner, I was out of keeping up with stuff.

Yeah, that also doesn’t help. It’s a whole other culture and style of comics but if I wait for a sale I can drop $6 and get a full volume of a manga that’s 180 pages and I’m quite content that it’s black and white :P.

And what you’re paying is an extra dollar or worse up here too.

I don't subscribe to Comixology Unlimited because I have so much to read on the service already, but DC just became a part of it now:

https://www.comixology.com/DC-on-comiXology-Unlimited-Start-Here/page/20549?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-on-comiXology-Unlimited-Start-Here/page/20548?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

I just started reading Batman: White Knight, one of the Black Label self-contained stories, and it's fantastic so far. 

I want to see what they actually put up. They have not priced dropped current titles in over a year.

33 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

I want to see what they actually put up. They have not priced dropped current titles in over a year.

I was fine with that when they were all $2.99. I remember they specially said they weren't lowering as fast with the relatively lower price for new issues, but they're $3.99 now.

Or more. I read no DC on release, when I used to read most.. It’s cheaper buying physical copies of  them all  dcbservice by a huge margin but I do not want a ton of long boxes. Digital Pricing is pathetic 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Or more. I read no DC on release, when I used to read most.. It’s cheaper buying physical copies of  them all  dcbservice by a huge margin but I do not want a ton of long boxes. Digital Pricing is pathetic 

Cool, I hadn't bought anything physical in quite a while and was wondering what was the best place. What publishers include the digital code now?

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Cool, I hadn't bought anything physical in quite a while and was wondering what was the best place. What publishers include the digital code now?

Quoting myself since it was I should have looked myself , but looks like DC dropped all and most major Marvels do include a code. 

Yeah I don’t know about the codes, it’s been a while since I bought a physical issue. I would buy physical if they all had codes. Cheapest place by far is dcbservice if you want a good number a month.