LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

Justice League- really liked the hero character stuff, good soundtrack, many laughs, horrible special effects in spots, back story is literally Lord of the Rings, waste of another DC villain. Liked it a lot more the BvS and SS, but those were a very low bar . Enjoyed the credit scenes. 

Nope, he was actually pretty good, as he is pretty much a newb when it comes to having powers.. The weakest character of the league was Cyborg, but most of the time he is as only a few have written him well.

• Like 1

In the previews it looked like they were trying to copy the Peter Parker newbie relationship with Stark with the Flash/Batman relationship.  Only I found Spiderman to be really cute and charming.  The preview for this made me a little skeptical that they'd pull it off.  Sounds like you liked it though.

This is my assessment of the characters.

Batman - weirdly enough, probably the worst of the bunch because I don't care for Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman or Bruce Wayne.

Wonder Woman - still tops on this one.

Cyborg - Err, I don't have a good enough base for this one since the only exposure I have to him were old cartoons and Teen Titans Go.

Aquaman - I'm surprised I didn't hate this one.  I'm okay with it.

Flash - I really liked it.

Superman - I've always liked this portrayal.  Too bad he's been in one horrific movie and one okay one.

They just need to get a totally different team doing the JL stuff. They actors are well fast, and work well together.

Justice League is not a good film. It bounces between bad and OK for most of it's run time, though it does have a few good scenes and gets better about halfway through. The CGI is awful. The cinematography is mostly bad.

I liked Flash, Wonder Women is par for the course, not a fan of Aquaman, and Cyborg was OK. I think Affleck may have lost interest in playing Batman, didn't care for his portrayal as much in this movie vs BvS.

Synder is out now right? They can't possibly continue with him involved. The movie is tracking for an abysmal sub $100 mil opening. 

4 hours ago, NickC said:

Synder is out now right? They can't possibly continue with him involved. The movie is tracking for an abysmal sub $100 mil opening. 

Apparently Whedon was brought in even before that devastating event in Snyder’s personal life forced him to step away, so it would seem there was a decsion higher up at Warner to distance the universe from his creative stamp. I’d imagine creatively he’d be ready to move on anyway. Even if you don’t take his bereavement into it the experience of doing three of these must be exhausting, doubly so when the backlash takes on such an unnecessarily nasty tone.

If that’s true it won’t crack 100m this weekend that’s stunning news. Honestly, I’d reboot Batman, reboot Superman, continue doing the Wonder Woman thing and stop fucking bothering with this shared universe obsession.

I respect Justice League is a staple of DC character history but Warner trying to ape Marvel with their characters and Universal trying to ape Marvel with their monsters has resulted in nothing short of embarrassment that reeks of desperation. The whole thing Feige is doing at Marvel is lightning in a bottle that we’ll probably never see mirrored by any other studio. 

Warner have had two movies now that have seemingly tarnished the idea of bringing these characters together on screen. Clearly BvS already did a lot of damage in souring this character mash up in people’s minds. Let it die, and in doing so allow really great self-contained universes for those characters on screen to live. In doing so they’d give filmmakers far more freedom in committing unique visions on screen that would not be held hostage to thinking five movies ahead and having to adhere to a set visual and dramatic framework. That’s the best way to do their own thing in response to the Marvel machine. 

• Like 1

Nah if marvel can reboot Spider-Man three times, and Dc can have 5 batmen, they can get it right again. DC has already done it in their animated stuff very successfully  and even on the current tv shows have a JL like group.

Frankly the problem is who they have in charge of these films. I said it a while back but Geoff Johns needs to stay on the comic side. Just like Disney decided to give Feige full reins on the film side. WB needs to get somebody new in charge, and clean the film slate except for WW.  Make her your Iron Man and build on from there. Even if we do not get another JL film for 3-4 years. Forget Flashpoint, make a basic Flash movie, affleck wants to be gone then so be it. Cavil can be a great Superman if the right people are in charge. It can all be explained, DC has 52 earths :)

47 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Armond White’s review of Justice League is classic Armond. Worth a read just for how ridiculous it is. 

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/453824/justice-league-triumphs-zack-snyder-masterpiece

"Justice League features the year’s best action sequences since Zhang Yimou’s The Great Wall and Luc Besson’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets."

lol

If you enjoy Red Letter Media this is pretty funny.

"It's the best movie 1996 never made."

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

Nah if marvel can reboot Spider-Man three times, and Dc can have 5 batmen, they can get it right again. DC has already done it in their animated stuff very successfully  and even on the current tv shows have a JL like group.

The animated and live action TV shows are a different animal to movies though that play to different kinds of audience, and from a production perspective adhere to different rules for their respective mediums.

As far as Spider-man goes, I don't think it is necessarily a good example. Homecoming did well, but still sits behind the three Rami films at the box office, and you have the good will effect of first having his latest incarnation appear in Civil War, and then having Downey Jr in Homecoming for added comfort value. So yes, you're doing Spider-man again, but the audience was kind of built in already for that Spider-man. It being accepted by an audience had a lot to do with being a byproduct of the MCU's established success because the MCU is just a familiar brand of your favourite candy at this point. Audiences already knew largely what they were going to get with Homecoming.

Warner, by comparison, is utterly directionless with the DC movies and characters. I'd expect the Matt Reeves take to be good, particularly if they decide to start afresh with a new actor, but I wouldn't even favour Batman movies anymore as I think he would benefit far more from returning to TV, via way of a big budget HBO series, that could really explore the character and that rogue's gallery of a villains in a way that no six hour movie trilogy could ever do (no, I'm not a fan of Gotham). Comic book diehards alone cannot make these movies sustainable. One of the miracles of the MCU is the way it appeals to a much wider audience, and Warner cannot just swan in thinking they can take a piece of that without building any goodwill. They have something good with Wonder Woman that struck a chord, and in making that they also one-upped Marvel who stupidly have taken a very long time to put a movie with a female lead into production. If they were smart they'd continue to explore that for a few years, then re-think everything else when the dust has settled.