LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

I get Eisenberg - since I mainly know him from The Social Network, and Mark Zuckerberg is as close to a real-life Lex Luthor as you'll get until either Larry or Sergei leave Google.

But Irons as Alfred doesn't work for me at all.

But Irons as Alfred doesn't work for me at all.

Depends on which version of Batman/Alfred they are using.  In one of the Batman Alternate Novels, and more recently Beware the Batman cartoon, Alfred was a ex Military Guy who was friends with the Waynes, and took custody of Bruce when his parents died. 

3p93.jpg

I'm to say that I no longer think it is an outrageous claim to make that Christopher Nolan had a better casting director for his Batman movies.

With the announcement of casting of Cyborg it was a forgone conclusion at this point. 

This is such an odd thing. The race for Avengers money is embarrassingly clear, but whether they're guaranteed to achieve it is far less so. On the one hand Warner not making a set of individual character films that could fail is ultimately going to be less costly than diving into the two mash up movies they are now producing, but on the other hand a Justice League movie could be too bloated and confusing for a large audience, without any groundwork done for anyone outside of hardcore comic geeks to give a shit, and not making individual films could suggest Warner doesn't have enough faith in those other characters. 

I watched Man of Steel for the second time last night, thinking I'd give it a second chance, but I went from already thinking of it as a lacklustre movie to one that is actually pretty damn dreadful. It was an utter chore to endure on second viewing. Clumsy, noisy with no actual interest in setting up and building its character relationships, just moving from one character beat to the next in order to rush to one action set piece after another and rushing, unfortunately seems to be the theme of this DC movie universe. Any thought I left Man of Steel with in thinking that maybe they will work on "x" and 'Y" more in a second movie to help me invest in the characters more went out the window for me when they announced that the Man of Steel sequel wouldn't actually be a Man of Steel sequel. 

I've seen some argue that Avengers 2 will be too busy taking all the regular heroes from the first one and adding four or five new characters into the mix. The difference is people are more than familiar with those individual characters' stories now now through the single movies, and familiar with the team-up scenario through the first Avengers. All the groundwork is done, and you've still got a writer in charge who had a strong history of writing for ensembles due to his television success. I don't know if I am shocked or not that Warner/DC/Snyder are casually overlooking all the elements that actually made the Marvel movie series a success.

It is pretty weird that Warner/DC are so singularly missing that what makes the Marvel films work is what also makes the comics work - hiring good writers and artists/directors, and letting them breathe within a relationship where they have to be aware of what their colleagues are up to, but maintaining respect. Would I be right in guessing that Feige and co. have some movie equivalent of the annual Marvel Writers Retreat week where the comics guys lay out what they're planning in a group chat way, and so ensure they can sort out continuity etc?

Would I be right in guessing that Feige and co. have some movie equivalent of the annual Marvel Writers Retreat week where the comics guys lay out what they're planning in a group chat way, and so ensure they can sort out continuity etc?

That they do. Dc does as well. they don't have to follow the Marvel model, they just need to make the movies good. There have been changes at the top of WB since MoS came out as well. What they should do is just get the Arrow writing team run things. People forget that show is DC and is damn good.

they don't have to follow the Marvel model, they just need to make the movies good. 

Their first attempt isn't engendering confidence (seriously, Man of Steel sucked) and the fact that they've handed it off to the same director tells me they are staying the course. I suppose there is hope that they bring in half decent writers but I'm pretty sure Goyer is already writing Superman vs Batman, no?

I'm pretty sure Goyer is already writing Superman vs Batman, no?

He wrote the initial drafts then Argo's screenwriter was brought in to touch it up as Goyer got too busy with other projects.