LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

My turn. Waiting in line to see it. Previous show sold out here. My kids still wanted to see it, think their curious at this point if it is as bad as everyone is saying.

If you give them money opening week, you're just encouraging them.

My movie money this weekend is going towards Peg+Cat.

I know. I am definitely part of the problem. But I love superhero movies. Nothing can be as bad as the crap they had when I was a kid. And a part of me hopes that they get it together and make something good.

If you give them money opening week, you're just encouraging them.

My movie money this weekend is going towards Peg+Cat.

Meh. It's going to make money opening weekend on name alone. Repeat business is what will make or break this as a success or failure. It won't ever get another cent out of me.

Meh. It's going to make money opening weekend on name alone. Repeat business is what will make or break this as a success or failure. It won't ever get another cent out of me.

I'd argue you both have a point. The finance and marketing departments of a studio don't appear to care all that much about a colossal monster of a franchise film having legs though. If it happens they embrace it, naturally, but for whatever reason they've been fixated on opening weekend, opening weekend, opening weekend for two decades now, and the press have become equally as obsessed. For a studio, if they meet their opening targets then everything else is gravy.

Brian's point is that going to this on opening weekend plays into a studio's expectation that they can get away with this shit on name alone so long as attendance hits of exceeds their expectations in those first few days. Yes it's going to have high attendance regardless, but better if it could still fall below whatever data Warner might have accumulated ahead of release. One could argue you're just one man, but sadly many thousands probably reach the same conclusion and just go anyway because everyone else they know is going. The flipside though is that international box office take is of even greater interest to a studio than domestic, and I think the language barriers can save even the worst and cynically made Hollywood blockbusters so long as they're based on recognisable brands because, translated for foreign territories, if the whiz bang is up there on screen then it's still likely to do well somewhere like China (christ, Transformers might well travel internationally like silent movies would in their heyday).

It made 27.7m on Thursday night at the US box office. Here's where it puts it in the grand scheme of franchise midnight/preview screenings in the US:

1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $57M

2) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II - $43.5 million

3) The Dark Knight Rises - $30.6 million

4) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part II - $30.4M

5) The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part I - $30.25M

6) The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - $30.1 million 

7) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - $27.7M 

8) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $27.6M

Thursday + Friday totals apparently bring it to $81.3m, biggest ever pre-summer opening with an expectation of it landing at around $171m by Sunday night. This is literally all your fault, Romier.

The movie was devoid of any real excitement or charm. I felt every minute of those two and half hours in my seat. And you know, it seemed most of the people there were just indifferent to everything going on. And the one fuck yeah moment for me (Wonder Woman reveal) had already been given away by the trailer. I believe they had a good story in there with interesting ideas, but Snyder just isn't capable.

What a steaming pile.

The good: Affleck and Irons. A stand-alone Batman movie with them in the right hands could be great. I also enjoyed Gadot playing Wonder Women.

The bad: Everything else. More city destruction, poor editing, bad music (you'll know it when you hear it), and a bloated story that's incoherent at times.

Superman seems lost in Synder's hands, heck the whole movie seems lost in Synder's hands, if they still plan on going forward with Justice League they need to remove him from the mix asap.

Yeah movie making a ton, don't get your hopes up.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 made a ton. I'll argue again that if the movie dive bombs in the coming weeks....it will not go unnoticed alongside the reviews this has gotten. You're right though, it's going to make money and Snyder isn't going anywhere.

If you want to wash the bad taste of this away with a far better Batman movie, watch "Batkid Begins" on Netflix ;)

If you want to wash the bad taste of this away with a far better Batman movie, watch "Batkid Begins" on Netflix ;)

I did, and then watched the first few episodes of the JL animated series :)

• Like 1

Forecasted for $170 Million US and $424 Million Global, nice opening numbers, time will tell if this movie has legs, if this movie doesn't hit a billion i'd think it's a financial disappointment.

Snyder on the whole Jimmy Olsen thing is pretty much the last straw in confirming he hates Superman and anything related to it, surely...

From Entertainment Weekly:

The truth is: Yes, Jimmy Olsen is in the movie. But he’s not identified by name – and he makes a rather hasty exit early in the story.

Some fans erroneously guessed that Scoot McNairy’s character would be The Daily Planet photojournalist, but McNairy actually plays an embittered amputee who lost both legs in the destruction of Metropolis depicted in 2013’s Man of Steel.

Instead, Olsen is played by Michael Cassidy, best known for his role on The O.C. and for playing a mysterious editor of The Daily Planet in the young Superman TV series Smallville.

It’s not a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it part, but … the appearance might cause viewers to flinch. That’s because Olsen is the photographer who accompanies Amy Adams’ Lois Lane on a dangerous mission to interview a warlord in Africa, and is soon outed as a CIA plant. Olsen’s punishment? He gets shot in the head and dies in front of a horrified Lane.

Director Zack Snyder explained his controversial decision to sacrifice the character in an interview with EW:

“We just did it as this little aside because we had been tracking where we thought the movies were gonna go, and we don’t have room for Jimmy Olsen in our big pantheon of characters, but we can have fun with him, right?”

It’s meant to be a shock to the audience, but Snyder ended up softening the blow by not identifying the character at the start. On the R-rated “Ultimate Edition” of the film, which will be released this summer, Olsen reveals himself up front. “He comes up to her and he goes, ‘Lois Lane, I’m Jimmy Olsen, photographer, obviously … You know, I’ve been assigned to you for this mission.’ But it turns out that Jimmy Olsen is a spook for the CIA.”

Early on in production, Snyder wanted to cast a famous face in the part so he could pull a Psycho – destabilizing the audience by unexpectedly killing off someone they thought would be a main character.

The actor he wanted ended up becoming Lex Luthor instead.

"but we can have fun with him"

More on the Lex casting in the rest of the article:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/25/batman-v-superman-jimmy-olsen

I feel settled on waiting for an iTunes rental with this one.

Um I thought someone called him by first name in the movie. I knew who he was. Angel and I were talking about the movies dumb plots, and stuff that made no sense at all. I got angry again :(

Box Office Numbers adjusted to $166 Million US, placing it second for Warner Bros. all time opening weekends.

According to Forbes:

Batman v Superman has set a new record for the worst Friday-to-Sunday drop for a superhero movie release in modern North American box office history. In dropping 55% from its $82 million Friday debut to its $37 million gross on Sunday

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#7de873a6d72c

Saw it with low expectations.  I tried really hard to enjoy it and I did.  I was able to overlook so much.  But eventually I couldn't help but criticize:

-Wait, what's your Mom's name.  No way, that's my mom's name.  Yay, Besties!

-Could Doomsday be more generic?   He was like one of those disposable demons from Voltron.

-Luthor was just weird and terrible

-WTF with the weird dream sequences.  

-Superman wants to keep it civil with Batman, and for no reason gets macho with him.  I mean, at this point Batman is still just a friggin ANT relative to Superman, yet Superman feels the need to shove him?  Antagonize him?  Makes no fucking sense given what he just said to Lois.

-The final talk between Batman and the other character at the end was supposed to be all goosebumpy, inspiring, and exciting for the allusions to the future.  It was just mundane.  Just bad writing.

I enjoyed the first half, and I like this movie way more than Man of Steel.  Maybe that is expectations related.  But wow, such a stark contrast to the Marvel movies.  I could give a shit about the Flash or any forthcoming DC characters in the movie theater.  Aquaman, really?  Screw you.

Box Office Numbers adjusted to $166 Million US, placing it second for Warner Bros. all time opening weekends.

According to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#7de873a6d72c

Can't wait to see week 2 numbers. I'm betting on at least a 65-70% drop off if not more.

Can't wait to see week 2 numbers. I'm betting on at least a 65-70% drop off if not more.

Definitely looking as though the legs will fall out from under it. It is underperforming in China too, and although it was expected eventually I had not realised that the Hollywood/China bubble had already kind of burst following underperformance of Rogue Nation, Spectre, Star Wars...etc. I'm rather glad Hollywood is going to find it harder to play up to that territory in future.

Civil War is going to destroy this critically and commercially, isn't it?

Thought I'd give the score a listen on Spotify.... It's very noisy, isn't it? I can't abide the GENERIC CHOIR = EPICCCCCC thing. Doesn't even have Man of Steel's "well, at least it's good music to work out to" saving grace. I quite like 'Is She with You" which I assume is the Wonder Woman theme, at least I like it when the strings and percussion carry it instead of the guitar which is rather heavy handed. Reminds me a bit of Ant Man's theme oddly. Some of the quieter moments, what few there are, are quite nice like all but those opening few bars of 'Beautiful Lie' at the top of the album.

Those opening bars, the BWAGGG BWAGGG BWAG BWAG BWAAGGGG BWAAAAAAGGGHHHH is presumably a Batman motif? I hate that with a passion. It appears again in the 'Men Are Still Good (The Batman Suite)' cue, although that piece has a few Man of Steel callback so I don't know what the bawggggg bwaggg is supposed to represent (Batman v Superman?). It hurt my ears. 

'The Red Capes Are Coming' is really fun. I like that track.