LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

igPdoFVOSynSO.gif

If he was directing, I'd be cheering right now. Want nothing to do with him donning the cape and cowl, personally. Of course the movies announcement did fuck all for me anyway, so...

I'm really surprised by that given what increasingly powerful positions he finds himself in as a filmmaker these days. I can't help but think agreeing to the role has come with a perk of a long term production deal with Warner in future, one that possibly allows him to go and make whatever the hell he wants in future.

As I've said on the tweets and the book of face this morning, I think he'll do a very good job of playing Bruce Wayne, millionaire genius who gets a bit too obsessively carried away with the cause he feels righteous about. And playing Batman is just a case of putting on a bit of muscle mass and wearing a silly suit. He's more Michael Keaton than Val Kilmer, and that's a very good thing.

I'm amazed his mate Clooney didn't tell him to run a mile in the other direction, though.

I wake up in the middle of the night and come here only to find out that Affleck is now Batman? Jesus, what's wrong with this world?

I'm going back to bed.

As it is I didn't like superman. But I thought that mixing in the Nolan Batman franchise would somehow make it better. But mixing in Afleck running around in tights goes in the other direction. And I like Afleck.

Needless to say my expectations are low.

Then again, Affleck has kids.

Tell you what, even if it was to wind up the shittiest Batman of all time, if I had children and the chance came up for me to be Batman I would so do it just to impress them :)

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt/posts/10151671848187655

He makes a good argument.

Everyone lost their shit when first, Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker, and then Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman.  Both of those turned out pretty well.  

I remain hopeful.

Better director, far different film. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Also, I never lost my shit when Ledger or Hathaway was cast. I was "eh" on Hathaway mainly because I couldn't see Catwoman in the Nolanverse more than an issue with the actress. I was pleasantly surprised by the Ledger casting. I couldn't understand the outrage. He always had the acting chops. Just needed the vision for the character fleshed out. As soon as Bermejo's Joker came out as being the inspiration...yeah. Good shit.

Better director, far different film. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Also, I never lost my shit when Ledger or Hathaway was cast. I was "eh" on Hathaway mainly because I couldn't see Catwoman in the Nolanverse more than an issue with the actress. I was pleasantly surprised by the Ledger casting. I couldn't understand the outrage. He always had the acting chops. Just needed the vision for the character fleshed out. As soon as Bermejo's Joker came out as being the inspiration...yeah. Good shit.

Well, maybe so, but I have to assume that Nolan at least has some say in casting, and if he thinks Affleck is right for the part, I defer to him.

I'm not sure what's lead you to believe Nolan is making much time to be involved in this (not least because the Affleck press release contains no quotes from either him or Emma Thomas. In fact, curiously, it is Warner's head of production who takes the lead in the press release in talking about the choice. I really think/hope Affleck has, smartly, secured an amazing production deal out of this). It's not been mentioned if Nolan is involved in the same capacity as he was on Man of Steel, and even that was somewhat misjudged by fans (though he contributed to the story and kept in contact with Snyder during production and post-production, he didn't rule casting and even when production was nearing an end Cavill admitted he had still not even met Nolan). 

As with the last film, this is a Snyder movie, and I'm surprised after Man of Steel that so many are getting in a bigger huff over Affleck's casting than they are the return of Snyder and Goyer. Further reflection on Man of Steel has left me even more un-invested in thought of a sequel then I was when I walked out of the cinema, so they could have cast Justin Beiber as Batman and I wouldn't waste my time arguing. Affleck is not the weakest link here in my personal opinion. A sequel to an empty movie that, in throwing another giant character into the mix, is inevitably diverging from potential time better spent on furthering re-establishing Clark/Superman, has got a hell of a lot more to overcome than its casting. Nolan's executive producer credit on Batman/Superman, if indeed he is even officially confirmed to have one, will likely end up meaning as little as Burton's producer credit on Batman Forever.

• Like 1

So does this Mean that the ending of Dark Knight Rising has no baring on the future of the DC universe movies, including movies starring Batman? Nolan's third movie was the end and Man of Steel is a sort of reboot for DC? That is what it seems like. Which is sad.

As with the last film, this is a Snyder movie, and I'm surprised after Man of Steel that so many are getting in a bigger huff over Affleck's casting than they are the return of Snyder and Goyer. Further reflection on Man of Steel has left me even more un-invested in thought of a sequel then I was when I walked out of the cinema, so they could have cast Justin Beiber as Batman and I wouldn't waste my time arguing. Affleck is not the weakest link here in my personal opinion. A sequel to an empty movie that, in throwing another giant character into the mix, is inevitably diverging from potential time better spent on furthering re-establishing Clark/Superman, has got a hell of a lot more to overcome than its casting. Nolan's executive producer credit on Batman/Superman, if indeed he is even officially confirmed to have one, will likely end up meaning as little as Burton's producer credit on Batman Forever.

Well said. Total concurrence.

So does this Mean that the ending of Dark Knight Rising has no baring on the future of the DC universe movies, including movies starring Batman? Nolan's third movie was the end and Man of Steel is a sort of reboot for DC? That is what it seems like. Which is sad.

None. Nolanverse Batman is done and over with.

This is Warner at its most desperate to try and partake in that same type of Avengers money. Force Superman/Batman and. I've right into Justice League. Say what you will about the varying quality of the Marvel movies, but they "earned" the Avengers if you will.

PfoZOPO.png

Well, somone was reading Daniel's post. Just a different role.

Please almighty film gods, I don't ask for much but let this happen. The ensuing internet meltdown would be comedic sustenance that would last me for MONTHS!!

Bieber, Robin, Bieber, Robin, Bieber, Robin,...

It's about time they attempted a superhero movie geared exclusively toward women. Affleck & Bieber. Can we get Timberlake as Aquaman?

Gal Gadot confirmed to be playing Wonder Woman in the movie:

gal-gadot-375237-640x1136-2.jpg

Gal Gadot will play Wonder Woman in the untitled “Batman vs. Superman” movie.

Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck are set to star with Zack Snyder directing.

“Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favorite in the DC Universe. Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role. We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character,” Snyder said.

Variety says the Flash is all but a lock to appear in the movie as well. 

"It’s unclear which members, but Wonder Woman (Diana Prince) and The Flash are said to be locks to make an appearance in some fashion, whether that’s a significant role or a cameo."

So just skipping the world building and moving right into Justice League, then! Got it.

Somebody better give that woman a sandwich if she's supposed to play a stacked Amazonian.

This is sounding more and more like the old batman that everyone hated. Too many characters. Avengers had that challenge too. But they eased into it. They set it up. This sounds like it is going to be a mess. Hope this isnt the spark that makes the whole superhero movie bubble burst.