LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

I hope WW is good. We need a good DC movie, and the wife is pumped about it. I started to watch BvsS on a flight to London, but only made it about 20 minutes before switching to something else. It was truly awful. SS didn't intrigue me much, and the reviews kept me from bothering.

I hope WW is good. We need a good DC movie, and the wife is pumped about it. I started to watch BvsS on a flight to London, but only made it about 20 minutes before switching to something else. It was truly awful. SS didn't intrigue me much, and the reviews kept me from bothering.

Wait, what's your mother's name? Cool. Friends? The end.

You didn't miss anything.

• Like 1

Wait, what's your mother's name? Cool. Friends? The end.

You didn't miss anything.

Dude, if there's even a 1% chance that he'll like the movie then he should sit through the whole thing.

;)

I'm glad to heard Wonder Woman is good. It's a double win for DC in having beaten Marvel to a female superhero movie too (I was quite disappointed to read in some reviews how Pine's character still takes over on some stuff though).  I watched Suicide Squad last week. My head hurt afterwards.

I'm glad to heard Wonder Woman is good. It's a double win for DC in having beaten Marvel to a female superhero movie too (I was quite disappointed to read in some reviews how Pine's character still takes over on some stuff though).  I watched Suicide Squad last week. My head hurt afterwards.

Yeah, in the trailers it seems like Pine is playing the straight man who has to "handle" his new "fish out of water" female friend who has no concept of decorum.  Seems very similar to the first Thor movie on Earth.

Well that's exactly how the story is suposed to go :) Diana aka WW , is a fish out of water at first.

Well that's exactly how the story is suposed to go :) Diana aka WW , is a fish out of water at first.

. I'm not saying I don't like it. I actually quite enjoy that dynamic.

I'm very pleased to see the review scores for this one.  Glad they finally got one right (although I don't hate the other DCU as much as others do.)

I have tickets for the 7pm show tonight.  Can't wait!

The movie RT rating seems to be settling down to 92%.  Consensus seems to be this is a good movie.  That people love Gal Gadot.  And that this movie is a gem next to the other DC movies.  Though still not top of the heap for Super Hero movies, a good addition to maybe the top 10.  Curious to see how people here assess it.  I'll probably wait for the Amazon release.

Had my window open and moments ago a little girl passed by with her dad and she was raving enthusiastically about Wonder Woman. My heart nearly burst. Job done, Warner Bros. 

The movie RT rating seems to be settling down to 92%.  Consensus seems to be this is a good movie.  That people love Gal Gadot.  And that this movie is a gem next to the other DC movies.  Though still not top of the heap for Super Hero movies, a good addition to maybe the top 10.  Curious to see how people here assess it.  I'll probably wait for the Amazon release.

I don't know if you know what you did, there; but I still see it.

• Like 1

Just got back from a Dbox showing of WW and it was easily the best DCU movie so far. Very fun movie with some well done action. I enjoyed the cast a lot, but Gadot steals the show.

-Dean-

My wife didn't like it, daughter thought it was ok, and I wasn't too impressed either.  Think I am pretty much over comic book movies for a while.  

I thought it was a solid movie with some real highs and a few lows that stick out. To the point - its easily the best DC movie in recent history. I know that's a really low bar but even setting that aside, this is a fine film. 

Both Gal Gadot and Chris Pine make the movie. They are a pleasure to watch, have great chemistry and when the movie turns into a World War I period piece is when its at its strongest. It felt a bit like Captain America The First Avenger, in fact. More specifically, when the movie reaches London and when it moves onto the front and the village rescue, its by far the strongest elements of the film. The movie has a wonderful sense of WHO Wonder Women is and should be. That really is its greatest strength. Aside from the obnoxious loudness of the previous DCU movies, the most egregious issue is how they totally miss the mark in defining and living up to these iconic characters. Batman in BvS? A murdering psychopath who can't do math. Man of Steel? A conflicted, whiny god/jesus parable that doesn't give a shit about leveling a city, etc. The Joker in Suicide Squad? A Scarface/Al Pacino clone with a disturbed tattoo on his forehead. You can certainly dislike elements of this movie but it *gets* Wonder Woman and that's great.

Though there's an element of silliness as she rises from the trenches to attack the German encampment in her skimpy (but iconic) outfit in the films major action set piece - I totally bought it and marked out. The subsequent village attack and fight scenes were /awesome/ to boot I might add. :)

My biggest complaints arise from opening of the film in Themyscira. It felt so tonally different from the rest of the film and I felt it was overly long in spots. I wondered if maybe the film was better serves slicing this section up into smaller flashbacks in the film proper though I worry it would affect the pacing overall.

The other problem is the finale and the inevitable big battle. It veers way too much into Superman vs Batman "really loud noises" territory. You're at least invested in this one but its still a lot of shit blowing up and the overuse of slow-motion during the fights throughout the whole film gets old. It's unnecessary and feels like an attempt to visually link the movie to the films that came before. The problem? It's the most annoying visual link they could have chosen. The slow motion feels like it interrupts the fight sequences - not enhances them. 

Nonetheless, I left mostly satisfied from my viewing. After the turds that Warner/DC have been dropping - it was nice to watch a movie that understood the titular character and put on a good show.

Yeah, it sounds like the best parts of the movie are the parts that would not be appealing to my daughter.  Sounds like I'll enjoy the movie but my daughter won't.  

My daughter has seen every Marvel superhero movie except Dead Pool, Fantastic Four Movies, The Wolverine, and Amazing Spider Man 2.  She hasn't seen a single DC movie because they're either bad, too dark, or both.

I am going to be there opening night, peaking through my hands like a kid hoping it is ok to watch. At least Wonder Woman is in it .

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

I am going to be there opening night, peaking through my hands like a kid hoping it is ok to watch. At least Wonder Woman is in it .

Same.  Tickets already purchased.