LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

It got me wondering if Elfman has used his own Flash theme from the 90s TV series too. I know he references Williams’ Superman theme in the movie (and he’s kept the Zimmer/Holkenborg Wonder Woman theme).

Finally got around to seeing WW, it was great! It's not perfect, and I'm as good nit-picking  as anyone, but I don't think WW deserves anything more than what's already been said at this point. (ok, one issue,... no great spy would be carrying that watch around. OK, I'm done.)

I think this movie will age well. I feel like kids of this generation will feel the same fun and magic our generation may have gotten from something like Indiana Jones. Obviously there are thematic similarities, but it's also just made similarly well. The glaring difference is the endearing humor of the Jones films. But still, this is a strong fun ride that seems like it would appeal to a similar audience, and leave and indelible impression.

It's amazing that this film exists within the current JL universe. Something so clearly good, within something so clearly bad.

3 hours ago, JTello said:

Finally got around to seeing WW, it was great! It's not perfect, and I'm as good nit-picking  as anyone, but I don't think WW deserves anything more than what's already been said at this point. (ok, one issue,... no great spy would be carrying that watch around. OK, I'm done.)

I think this movie will age well. I feel like kids of this generation will feel the same fun and magic our generation may have gotten from something like Indiana Jones. Obviously there are thematic similarities, but it's also just made similarly well. The glaring difference is the endearing humor of the Jones films. But still, this is a strong fun ride that seems like it would appeal to a similar audience, and leave and indelible impression.

It's amazing that this film exists within the current JL universe. Something so clearly good, within something so clearly bad.

Didn't you think the final boss battle was stupid?

In a way, this movie is like Iron Man, in that it is a solid movie, with a shitty boss battle at the end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Didn't you think the final boss battle was stupid?

In a way, this movie is like Iron Man, in that it is a solid movie, with a shitty boss battle at the end.

Nope, I disagree. Sure, the guy didn't look like a final boss, but I'm ok with him being a God in disguise. Masterpiece? No. But I actually was able to suspend my disbelief and just enjoy it enough. Of course I could nit-pick, but I'll just say that the Iron Man final fight was on an entirely different level of stupidity, it's really set the low bar for all such film battles.

I'll add, you know what I really enjoyed, I loved the slow build up of Wonder Woman's powers and her grasp of them as the film built toward its crescendo. 

Some familiar themes there. :) I can't believe Elfman didn't name the track The Final Confrontation for old time's sake. 

Whole score is up on Youtube via Warner. I have it sitting in Apple Music to listen to in full later.

• Like 1

Early reactions have been a mixed bag. We're going to have to wait for that Rotten Tomatoes score.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/14/rotten-tomatoes-justice-league-score/

What’s the critical consensus on Justice League?

Potential ticket buyers will have to wait until the D.C. film’s opening day to find out.

First, Warner Bros. is embargoing critic reviews until 2:50 a.m. Wednesday morning, leaving just one full day between reviews going live and the film opening Thursday evening. Usually, studios lift review embargoes a week or more before a film opens (for example, Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok embargo lifted Oct. 19 and the film opened in North America on Nov. 3).

But critic aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes is making an interesting move on top of this — intentionally delaying its reveal of the film’s aggregate critic score until 12:01 a.m. on Thursday. The reason, the site says, is because they want to make an event of unveiling the score on their new “See It/Skip It” show on Facebook. This delaying move has been the subject of conspiracy theories before (with Justice League studio Warner Bros. owning a minority stake in Rotten Tomatoes’ parent company).

Spoiler alert.  It will not be great.  Best case, it is OK.  If it is OK, I'll watch it on video.  If it is great, then I'll accuse whomever is saying that is great of deception and delusion.

• Haha 1

Huge sale on iTunes for all DC Movies... including the Nolan Trilogy of Batman for $19.99.  Once those go 4K, you'll get them upgraded for free, if the past holds true.  So far everything I got on there that has gone 4K, has been upgraded... even movies I've redeemed on other services because of Movies Anywhere now.  Pretty great.

11 minutes ago, GrumpyElf said:

Huge sale on iTunes for all DC Movies... including the Nolan Trilogy of Batman for $19.99.  Once those go 4K, you'll get them upgraded for free, if the past holds true.  So far everything I got on there that has gone 4K, has been upgraded... even movies I've redeemed on other services because of Movies Anywhere now.  Pretty great.

Has everyone here linked to your Movies Anywhere account?  Didn't noticed a thread on here about that.  It is Utopia!  They finally got movie licensing right.  I feel like they've finally gone over the hump with this change.  People will actually feel comfortable purchasing movies digitally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

Wife wants to see Justice League;  I don't.  She's a fan of Wonder Woman; I'm not.  

I'll buy that you didn't care for the WW movie, but the character and Gal's performance couldn't be an issue, really? There are a lot of reasons to skip JL, but how could WW be the trigger?

• Like 1

I am.  28 years and I agree with Joey.  My wife won’t watch horror movies so I go alone.  I won’t go watch some things that interest her (Fifty Shades, for example) so she goes with her friends. 

Either drop her off and go write until she’s ready to be picked up or watch another movie.  Win Win. :)

This thing about “having” to see something because of the significant other is perplexing.  LOL

2 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

...that movie didn't garner enough points for me to suffer through JL.

Fair!

Heck, I liked the movie more than you, and I'm still not willing to suffer through JL.

Here come the reviews, ew has a break down of some.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/15/justice-league-reviews/

Chris Nashawaty (Entertainment Weekly): “Justice League … marks a pretty steep comedown from the giddy highs of Wonder Woman … Steppenwolf is one of those patently phony CGI creations that gives the film a uncanny-valley shlockiness. He looks like a cross between a Viking and a billy goat …  Affleck looks like the highest-paid captive in a hostage video. Fortunately, there are other actors who look like they actually want to be there … It’s obvious to anyone watching Justice League next to the other DC films that the studio brass handed down a mandate to lighten the mood and make things funnier and more Marvel-y. And, to an extent, Justice League accomplishes that. But it also feels like so much attention was paid to the smaller, fizzier character moments that the bigger picture of the film’s overarching plot was a second or third priority Someday, hopefully soon, DC will get the recipe right again and duplicate Wonder Woman’s storytelling magic. But today isn’t that day, and Justice League, unfortunately, isn’t that film.”

Robie Collin (The Telegraph): “Warner Bros.’ latest hapless attempt to jump-start their DC Comics blockbuster brand, which at this point looks less like a cinematic universe than a pop-cultural black hole, sucking up as much money and audience goodwill as the studio can shovel into it … It’s consistently embarrassing to watch, and features plot holes so yawningly vast they have a kind of Grand Canyon-like splendour: part of you wants to hang around to see what they look like at sunset … the end result is a broken film, swimming in bad CGI and forgettable mayhem, that you can’t imagine any number of rewrites or reshoots could have saved…Justice League is a mess in ways cheaper productions could only dream about. A post-credits scene dutifully teases more to come, but the film’s heart just isn’t in it. After Justice League, there’s nowhere else any of this can go..”

Todd McCarthy (THR): “The increasingly turgid tales of Batman and Superman — joined, unfortunately for her, by Wonder Woman — trudge along to ever-diminishing returns in Justice League. Garishly unattractive to look at and lacking the spirit that made Wonder Woman, which came out five months ago, the most engaging of Warner Bros.’ DC Comics-derived extravaganzas to date, this hodgepodge throws a bunch of superheroes into a mix that neither congeals nor particularly makes you want to see more of them in future. Plainly put, it’s simply not fun … Snyder and Whedon guide it all with the usual heavy hand and with a visual style that’s both gloomy and garish. Many shots are elaborated upon with effects-powered pools of disco-era lighting, zig-zaggy electrical charges and visualized power currents that fill in the compositions in unattractive ways. One only has to recall for a moment the rich images that Christopher Nolan and Wally Pfister consistently created for the Dark Knight trilogy to realize how far these Superman films are from any kind of pictorial distinction.”

Jim Vejvoda (IGN): Warner Bros. and DC Films had two major goals to achieve with Justice League. First, to cleanse the palette of those turned off by the relentlessly grim BvS; and second, to make viewers enjoy these superheroes enough to want to see further screen appearances by them. Justice League mostly succeeds in accomplishing those two key objectives, despite its sloppy execution. It’s messy and flawed but it still offers enough entertainment value (mostly thanks to its likable characters) to make it worthwhile. … Some reshot sequences do stand out like proverbial sore thumbs due to obvious continuity differences. But at least emotionally and tonally, Justice League is fairly consistent throughout. It does not feel like a movie with an identity crisis as much as I’d feared.”

Matt Singer (ScreenCrush): “Elfman’s music still works perfectly in a modern context. His familiar notes gave me chills. The rest of Justice League gave me chills of a different kind; the kind you feel when you receive bad news about a sick relative, or after you quickly gulp down a big glass of milk and suddenly remember the carton expired two weeks ago. Or the kind you get when talented actors and skilled filmmakers completely botch a movie starring some of the most beloved fictional characters in history … Justice League is a collection of missed opportunities and flubbed ideas.”

:colbert:

I'll be seeing it Saturday.

Have my ticket for 7pm tomorrow.  Hope it’s more fun than they claim, even if it’s not on par with the Marvel movies or even Wonder Woman.  :/

14 hours ago, Angel P said:

This thing about “having” to see something because of the significant other is perplexing.  LOL

Its like that weird stigma of going to the movies alone. For some people, going into a big dark room with a bunch of strangers where people aren’t supposed to talk for 2 hours has to be a social experience and something you couldn’t possibly do by yourself. 

• Like 1

This movie is strange. I had absolutely no idea it was coming out this year until the marketing campaign started hitting me in the face. I had just assumed the WW was this years DC movie and the JL was at least a year off. 

Ah well. I won’t be seeing it in theatres either way.