LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

18 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Reading an MCU plot point in a DC thread has me wondering if I’ve crossed a Cloverfield Paradox dimension. ;)

Let's face it, Marvel should just buy DC so we can merge all these threads into one.  Every Black Panther discussion turns into an Avengers discussion and then a Spiderman discussion.  And with Joss making movies in both universes, characters showing up in multiple franchises, and even actors playing different characters in different comicbook movies, it is all so tiresome and I'd appreciate it if you ease up off my back about it.

Image result for I'd appreciate it if you ease up off my back about it.  Will Smith

• Haha 1

Lol. I think after the JL stuff he just wants out of super hero films. That’s it, none of this other stuff.

I like Age of Ultron, but that thor stuff was jammed in there. That was one of the things that led to Marvel Studios not being a part of the rest of Marvel. Feige is in charge and only has one person to report to. No movie committee forcing changes like happened with some of the earlier films.

The batgirl stuff is not the only DC news. The directors for flashpoint have no deal  yet and have not even started work on it. Well oiled machine over there.

Mind you, the Infinity War post credit scene is Nick Fury walking up to Parker to speak to him about this new Cloverfield Initiative, so that's all true.

• Haha 3

On 2/23/2018 at 1:32 PM, iainl said:

Mind you, the Infinity War post credit scene is Nick Fury walking up to Parker to speak to him about this new Cloverfield Initiative, so that's all true.

I was honestly 50% pissed at this post, and 50% laughing.  But couldn't ask whether it was real, for fear of either confirming a spoiler, or confirming my idiocy. 

• Like 2

Ava DuVernay to Direct DC’s "New Gods".

Ava DuVernay is stepping into the superhero universe.

The filmmaker has come on board to direct “New Gods” at Warner Bros. as part of the studio’s DC Extended Universe. “New Gods,” based on DC Comics’ series of the same name, is aimed at creating a new universe of properties for the studio. Created and designed by Jack Kirby, the comic was first released in 1971.

The New Gods are natives of the twin planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. New Genesis is an idyllic planet ruled by the Highfather, while Apokolips is a dystopia filled with machinery and fire pits — ruled by the tyrant Darkseid. New Genesis and Apokolips call themselves gods, living outside of normal time and space in a realm known as the Fourth World.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/ava-duvernay-superhero-movie-new-gods-dc-1202725043/

The decision making over at Warner/DCEU never ceases to amaze.

• Haha 1

As a DC comics fan I am very excited to see this on the big screen. However with all the great characters in Dc’s catalog this is the one they pushed forward? Gonna bomb hard.

4 hours ago, JoeyN said:

As a DC comics fan I am very excited to see this on the big screen. However with all the great characters in Dc’s catalog this is the one they pushed forward? Gonna bomb hard.

Being a non - comic reader, and having just read that synopsis, I concur. "Gonna bomb hard." 

Saw Justice League.  Wasn’t terrible.  Wasn’t good either.  And it is hard for me not to see every character, plot point, even the general structure as a rip off of the MCU movies, in particular the Avengers.  Except most of the dialog and character situations seem so mediocre compared to the MCU stuff.  This movie was less than the sum of its parts.

The whole movie seemed like they tried to throw DC characters on top of the Avengers template and failed.  Batman felt like he was trying to be a sad, unfunny Tony Stark.  Aquaman was primitive Savage Thor character(he was fine, though underdeveloped because he didn't have his own movie yet).  He even broke his glass of alcohol on the ground as Thor did.  Wonderwoman was the virtuous Captain America character counter-weighting the Tony Stark character's hubris.  Superman was Hulk, right?  The out of control invincible guy that if they can control will really help them win the fight.  And Flash was Spiderman from Civil War (The immature superhero injecting goofy dialog while the adults role their eyes ).  But they all were so lesser in every way.

As soon as I caught on to the emulation, it was really hard not being distracted by it.  There were only three moments in the movie where I genuinely laughed or enjoyed myself.  Superman battling the Justice League.  Superman carrying the apartment building (showing up Flash).  And the surprise truth-telling Aquaman.  Those all got emotional reactions from me.  Other than that there were quite a few "That was pretty good moments" but I classify all of that as a web of mediocrity.

I sat through all three hours of Batman Vs. Superman over the last week or so, because it's on Prime at the moment.

I... didn't... hate... it???

Honestly, I found the whole thing far less awful than Man of Steel; the end's a tedious mess of pixels thumping each other, but so's Wonder Woman, and we all forgive that one because one set is supposed to be David Thewlis rather than a Cave Troll. I thought Snyder did a pretty good job of making Bruce's motivation the same reason I hated MoS so much, I just about managed to follow why Lex was so keen to get rid of them both, and I even got on with the idea that Bruce is so old, jaded and cynical with the world post-Zod that he's broken out the machine guns.

I mean, it's still not as good as any of the Marvels, but it's not the pile of excrement I was expecting.

I watched the first half hour or so before realising the long cut was also there. It’s what I expected the film to be; the expensive effects sequences are still present, but the tally bits justifying them are cut to ribbons or entirely missing, so nobody has any character or justification for acting in a way so contrary to what the audience would expect from a superhero. 

Oh, and one other complaint about both cuts. If Snyder thinks it’s acceptable to effectively do DKR with a man only two years older than me he can piss right off. 

• Haha 1

I love the Nolan movies.  I love the MCU  movies.  There is just no getting around the fact that these DC movies belong in the shit heap with the Fantastic Four movies.  Which is a travesty since BvS and Justice League deserve to be awesome.  It is highly offensive that they are not.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2018 at 11:01 AM, Angel P said:

Henry Cavill out as Superman.  Shame, as I liked him though the character was badly written.

I never really liked Batman or Superman in these movies.  I loved Christopher Reeve back in the day.  He was so likable.  I loved Michael Keaton.  He was so likable.   I like Stark.  I like Steve Rogers.  You can create a likable superhero.  But these guys were just serious and sad.  Just didn't like watching them.  Probably the only actor that I can think of that can pull off stoicism in a likable way, is Denzel Washington.  

He certainly has the creepy face for this role.  And creepy voice.  I can picture him being really scary.  But can he be weird/funny/amusing?   I don't think I'd like Joker if he was just 100% creepy.  Ledger and Jack had the playful/obnoxious going for them as well as being creepy.

Phoenix is one of the finest actors working today in my view, so I'm actually really fascinated in that whole project. Curious to know what De Niro's role is in the film too. I just wish Warner and DC were not determined to fuck things up in such an epic way because you have this, and the Joker/Harley spin-off movie with Leto still seems to be happening, then there's the reboot of the Batman franchise itself and not knowing whether that's going to be its own thing, or side with the Phoenix or Leto universe.... It's just... ugh. What a mess. 

• Like 2