LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

Yeah, so far it's getting a lot of positive feedback, I'm curious, so I'll probably see it in the theater.

The trailer we saw last night was really funny. Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

The trailer we saw last night was really funny. Looking forward to it.

Agreed.  Had no interest before but based on that trailer and word of the movie being a more light, family-oriented film then I’m in.  WW and Aquaman notwithstanding, would be a welcomed change.

Shazam - I really enjoyed the first 2/3rds of this one, a family film with heart, I wish the ending was more grounded, overall it was good, it's in the top two WoDC films for me.

• Like 1

Opposite here, the four of us who went really disliked most of Shazam. 

• Like 1

Surprised you really disliked most of it, what parts stood out as good and bad to you?

On 4/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, JoeyN said:

Opposite here, the four of us who went really disliked most of Shazam. 

I thought the trailers looked mediocre.  The bad guy looks cookie cutter.  Just doesn’t look as funny as it thinks it is.  But then I read good reviews and thought maybe the trailer is misleading.  After listening to pop culture happy hour talk about the movie I’ve lost interest again.  And Joey saying he disliked it seals it for me.  DC has just lost me.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, NickC said:

Surprised you really disliked most of it, what parts stood out as good and bad to you?

I will start by saying that I thought the kids and the parents were very good. I enjoyed those parts the best.  Give me a sitcom of them, and I would watch. 

A part of my  dislike of the film may have to do with the fact that I am over Geoff Johns being involved with DC films  How he is still allowed to have any say whatsoever over them is mind boggling.  His version of the Shazam comic which sucked is all over this film. I can just see it, and it annoys the hell out of me. It's been marketed and hyped to be more a family film/comedy, and then some really dark shit happens out of nowhere., that could have been handled a million different ways to fit in what they were going for. The jokes fell flatter as the movie goes on as well, and by the end I just wanted it to end already because Billy and Freddie became annoying. Which kills me,  as the first 1/4 of the film I was really into. Then... 

In short, the kids just picked up on all of their powers right away when touching the staff, making billy look like a complete moron the rest of the film which he is not.  Also Mary who is actually a very popular character for comic fan fans, was  largely left out of doing anything in the final fight.

Need to add one thing, but the last post is not letting me edit....Wonder Woman is still miles ahead of everything else since Man of Steel. I am looking forward to WW84 as I have trust in Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot, and I trust James Gunn with suicide squad.  Anything else DC puts out I will be waiting for $5 sales on itunes, until they change the people running things behind the scenes.  Its a fucking disgrace  what they have done to these properties

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Which kills me,  as the first 1/4 of the film I was really into. Then... 

I agree, That's when the film lost me too, though I believe that occurred in the last 3rd, there's also a lot of repetitive scenes.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

The bad guy looks cookie cutter. 

I enjoyed the villain, they gave him an interesting backstory and Mark Strong was good.

I have no plans to see Shazam but it can’t be any worse than Aquaman. Holy balls that sucked whale dick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nah its worse. I had low expectations for aquaman going in. I enjoyed mamoa, but its another film they decided to jam 5 comics stories into (including Johns). Was longer then it needed to be.

I didn’t much care for Aquaman either but I’ll still be going to see Shazam.  I remember loving the live action series of Shazam and Isis back in the mid/late 70s.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Angel P said:

I didn’t much care for Aquaman either but I’ll still be going to see Shazam.  I remember loving the live action series of Shazam and Isis back in the mid/late 70s.  

I fucking LIVED for the "Shazam/Isis Power Hour" on Saturday mornings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angel P said:

I've watched that few times now.  It really seems like a parody.  Like something I would have made when I was 13 with a VHS camcorder.

On 4/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, Romier S said:

I have no plans to see Shazam but it can’t be any worse than Aquaman. Holy balls that sucked whale dick.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, JoeyN said:

Nah its worse. I had low expectations for aquaman going in. I enjoyed mamoa, but its another film they decided to jam 5 comics stories into (including Johns). Was longer then it needed to be.

Joey is right, it’s worse.

Another superhero comedy I thought of, which goes off the rails the last half or 1/3, is Hancock which I enjoyed more than Shazam.  

Family dynamic was good but the movie was too long by about 30-40 mins. I felt bad for Zachary Levi, Mark Strong and John Glover. They deserved better. 

Midcredit scene reminded me of Amazing Spider-Man’s midcredit scene. Boring. 

Also, seems like Asher Angel and Zachary Levi didn’t collaborate on how to play Billy Batson.  Angel played him with some maturity while Levi was just channeling a silly, irresponsible 14-year old with superpowers.  Didn’t fit with Billy still carrying the toy compass trying to find his mom. They just didn’t seem to be playing the same character. 

• Like 1

I don't know, I feel Aquaman is much worse than Shazam, one thing that sticks out with all of these WoDC films is they all fall off the rails in the last 1/3 compared to where they started.

I agree on the acting between Angel and Levi playing Batson, Levi appeared to play a much younger character, but it wasn't something I first noticed.

• Like 1

Yes, a much younger (or more immature) character.  I would’ve been more on board if, once Billy changes back, he would’ve started portraying the character more like Levi did. But he was down on Freddy for wanting to make himself more popular with the school kids but was out charging phones and doing tricks for money.  I don’t know, just didn’t work for me. 

Levi was clearly having a lot of fun in the role.

• Like 1

Shazam was just meh, kinda a mess really,  but my kids enjoyed it.

I think they fucked up making this movie, it really is a movie for kids,  yet it gets too dark and serious at times (when it's not being campy. Weird combo.) It could also do without the mature bits that got it the PG13 rating, it really should have been a PG experience. 

Joey's above comment is great,  "Give me a sitcom of them, and I would watch".  This really feels like a modern Disney channel preteen sitcom twisted awkwardly into darker movie.

The kid must be cute, my daughter has been obsessed with this movie since we saw it four days ago. She didn't want to see it, now she's trolling for entertainment articles,  wikis and potential sequel leaks. Kid must be cute! 

Edited by JTello
Nit-picky
  • Like 1