LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Podcasts thread. A thread about podcasts.

I tried PocketCasts, but I ditched it for BeyondPod and it's fantastic.  I've had almost no issues with it, and it seems to work just fine with any of the Bluetooth devices I throw at it.  Only feature that seems to be missing is to auto-delete played episodes somehow, other than limiting the number of downloads.  I have some podcasts set to unlimited downloads (for stuff where I have a huge backlog), but this means that nothing gets deleted unless I go in and manually purge (which I do when my phone runs out of storage).  Other than that, everything just works, and that's about all you can ask for really. 

I tried PocketCasts, but I ditched it for BeyondPod and it's fantastic. I've had almost no issues with it, and it seems to work just fine with any of the Bluetooth devices I throw at it. Only feature that seems to be missing is to auto-delete played episodes somehow, other than limiting the number of downloads. I have some podcasts set to unlimited downloads (for stuff where I have a huge backlog), but this means that nothing gets deleted unless I go in and manually purge (which I do when my phone runs out of storage). Other than that, everything just works, and that's about all you can ask for really.

'Auto-delete when done' is under playlist settings. Think that's what you are looking for.

For true crime people who may have wanted something more when the second season of Serial dropped and turned out to be... not as interesting... CBC up here is doing a series called Someone Knows Something, about the search for a young child who vanished without a trace back in the 70s.

Some of it is drawn out but mostly it's very, very well done. Completely absorbing.

On the other side of things I am well hooked on Tales from the Magic Tavern, which is patently ridiculous but when it's on it's great.

'Auto-delete when done' is under playlist settings. Think that's what you are looking for.

Thanks-it's under the options for what to do when an episode finishes.  I just hadn't drilled down to the next level there. 

Other than running my own subsonic server for archiving purposes, I've been using stitcher. I've been trying to digitally declutter recently and have found that every podcast that I make a point to listen to is now in google play, and they do sync between mobile and desktop. I'm thinking I might just save my drives a little wear & tear and have them stop keeping up with the podcasts I listen to, and the greater number of those that I wish I had time to listen to.

"For true crime people who may have wanted something more when the second season of Serial dropped and turned out to be... not as interesting... CBC up here is doing a series called Someone Knows Something, about the search for a young child who vanished without a trace back in the 70s.

"

Angel got me interested in Serial a few months back. Finished the first season and have been working my way through Undisclosed which is a follow up, but much more in depth on the same case. If you have not listened to it you must. There is so much more bullshit having to do with that case that A tv writer could not even make up.

I find the second season of Serial entertaining although I'll admit it isn't gripping or even as interesting as season one.  

The Nerdist episode with Jones had me hovering over the stop button at times. He clearly doesn't want to talk about his Dad, is very uncomfortable and keeps saying how raw it feels, and yet Hardwick keeps pushing. Kind of put me right off the show.

Agreed. It hasn't put me off the show, but I was quite surprised and disappointed in Hardwick for that. It didn't seem to sour Jones' enjoyment of the rest of the interview though (his running sponsorship gag had me giggling).

It was recorded back in April too, so it was even sooner for Jones (barely two months). I never took it as Hardwick probing for a scoop or anything though, so wasn't that soured by it, just a touch disappointed. He was just too keen to find common ground there having lost his own father some years ago, which he has talked about at length in past podcasts but in a rather sweet and self exploratory way (I forget what episode culminated in a really great discussion about personal loss and grieving. I want to say Bobcat Goldthwait talking about Robin Williams maybe?). I think Hardwick lost sight of things, but Jones did also say he had brought up his dad in an interview he did earlier that day, so he was clearly at a crossroads of trying to figure how when and how to even talk about that kind of a loss and I think it hits him on the Nerdist ep that it's actually still too soon.

In contrast the Gary Oldman episode of the Nerdist almost had me sobbing about Bowie again. 

Oh, I don't think Chris was doing it in a cynical way at all, just that he'd had such a bonding chat with Oldman about the subject he wanted something similar. The podcast's usually at its best when they've been going long enough that the guests get quite personal, and it's just the way he is.

Since we just mentioned The Simpsons elsewhere, I have been devouring the Talking Simpsons podcast from Lasertime the last couple months. The first season is locked for Patreon donors, but season two and onward are there to download.

Each episode they look at one episode of the show and dissect the jokes, the current events, behind the scenes things, ongoing continuity, even the DVD commentaries. It's a fantastic way to revisit the series; they are currently just wrapping up Season 3 this coming week.

Similarly from Lasertime I have become a huge fan of 30-20-10, where they look at the upcoming week in terms of pop culture from 30 years ago, 20 years ago, and 10 years ago. It's very thorough and quite interesting.

I'll check that one out. I can binge on season 1 to 10 easily. 11 has a few good episodes too, but after that is where it all started going stale for me. Do they have a lot of love and respect for s1 and 2? I never understood people who said it only got great from s3 through to 9 or 10 as the first two seasons have some exceptional stories and moments. 

Billy West (voice of Stimpy, Fry, Zoidberg, Zap Brannigan, the red M&M...etc), now has a podcast which is hugely entertaining.

http://billywestpodcast.com

They actually made me re-evaluate the second season entirely in terms of it being a solid season. They are very respectful of it. First season I cannot say because I have not paid for it, tempted as I was :)

I just found out about Billy West doing a podcast from listening to him on the Nerdist.  Subscribed to that and Talking Simpsons-I needed something new to check out anyway. 

Watching Seasons 1 and 2 and listening to all the commentaries makes you appreciate the later stuff so much more.  You get to experience the growth of the show which makes the first ten seasons so magical.

Tip: Unless you are a founding member in the Seth Rogan fan club, do yourself a favor and skip the Nerdest Seth Rogan episode. Neither my wife nor I, listening separately, made it though the first minute or two of that episode. His VERY frequent laugh could be a replacement for waterboarding. So painful!

Did anyone check out S Town? Without giving anything away, it's a crazy story and I'm shocked that they pulled it off. It's a true story, and could have fallen off the rails at any number of places. It's a great example of good journalism paying off.